PDA

View Full Version : Is Logan Cave ever open any more?

Wasatch Rebel
06-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I know they closed it a few years back because of a protected species of bat in the cave, but there were implications that it may be open at times. Is it?

ibenick
06-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I believe they closed it around 1993-ish with no plans on ever reopening but I could be wrong. I was fortunate enough to go most of the way into it about a year before it was closed.

Wasatch Rebel
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I believe they closed it around 1993-ish with no plans on ever reopening but I could be wrong. I was fortunate enough to go most of the way into it about a year before it was closed.

I remember when they closed it. We had just seen it for the first time on a trip to Bear Lake and had gone in it, with just one weak flashlight. We'd had to turn around sooner than we'd wanted to, but we made plans to come back soon with some appropriate gear and explore it. We were too late. By the time we got back, it was closed. At the time, there were some signs that said something about it being closed temporarily to protect a bat species that was endangered. But I guess temporarily means something different to them than it does to me who has a finite lifetime.:lol8:

DOSS
06-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I know they closed it a few years back because of a protected species of bat in the cave, but there were implications that it may be open at times. Is it?

I don't know if it is correct or not but I remember hearing that some people decided that they didn't like the fact that the Cave would be closed for most of the year because of the Bats so they tried to remove the problem... and it hasn't been open sense :(

jman
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Side question - Is Logan cave the one where it has a river passage and you swim under a section to reach the majority of the cave???

blueeyes
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I was lucky enough to get to explore it twice. Once with my Dad and his friends, we made it pretty far back in the cave. I remember the water being super cold and the guys didn't want to go any further. I wanted to and went on by myself I think I was 15 anyhoo I chickened out. Kinda scary by yourself at that age when the water is about to mid chest and you have no clue what you are doing. Second time was with my cousins right before they closed the cave we didn't go nearly as far in as I did with my Dad. That is one of my most favorite memories with my Dad and his crazy friends.

Here is a pic of me an my cousins and little sister getting ready to explore. I had to have been 18. sigh

Wasatch Rebel
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Side question - Is Logan cave the one where it has a river passage and you swim under a section to reach the majority of the cave???

No. I don't think so. Although I never made it through, from what I understand it went back in a ways, then there was a rope to climb to the next level, then it went back on that level until there was another rope to climb and a third level which went back a ways and ended. Supposedly the water on the first level got about thigh deep before the rope to the second level. If someone has been there and can correct me in any way that would be helpful, although I heard about the two ropes from someone who had been in the cave.

I was lucky enough to get to explore it twice. Once with my Dad and his friends, we made it pretty far back in the cave. I remember the water being super cold and the guys didn't want to go any further. I wanted to and went on by myself I think I was 15 anyhoo I chickened out. Kinda scary by yourself at that age when the water is about to mid chest and you have no clue what you are doing. Second time was with my cousins right before they closed the cave we didn't go nearly as far in as I did with my Dad. That is one of my most favorite memories with my Dad and his crazy friends.

Here is a pic of me an my cousins and little sister getting ready to explore. I had to have been 18. sigh

Sounds like good times.

blueeyes
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
I am 5'8" and have been since I was about 15. I distinctly remember that water being chest deep towards the back of the cave, ankle to knee deep most of the time. I seem to recall and I will be the first to admit that my memory is vague but the area I walked back into was a small room and if I wanted to go further I had to go under water and swim to the next room. That is why I quit, I was afraid I wouldn't make it and know one came with me. I am pretty sure my Dad knew I wouldn't go any further by myself or he wouldn't have let me continue by myself. That same trip my Dad and I took a higher route than the rest of the group. That was the most memorable because it was just he and I for part of the cave up above everyone else and we could here them splashing in the water below. That was for a just a bit. I recall something about a birth canal??? that was suppose to open into the last room where you could sign some book. But we never made it that far and as I have said my memory is vague.

DOSS
06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
http://utahcaves.blogspot.com/2009/07/logan-cave.html

here is a good description and entrance pics.. it is closed perm like

Wasatch Rebel
06-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Here's one quote from that page: "This cave was awesome, and lended to the adventurous and squeemish alike. To the squeemish it was fairly open in the vertical sense and within it's depths one could lose their light beam searching for the ceiling. It meandered for quite a distance of level walking until the first challenge - that of a boulder to either crawl below (in ice-cold water - the depth varied by season) or to go over. Then there were the ropes - three different ones if I heard right. I was never brave enough to ascend the ropes, but still enjoyed the 3-4 times I went in. The first time I saw it riding back from Bear Lake with my sister. I made her stop and I followed a group of college kids in - I was equipped with just my sister's pen-light and after following the noisy bunch of youths for a ways the little light dimmed and I luckily made it back to the entrance before it went out. There were upper levels I noted that I saw boards crisscrossing a good way up and was also told of an entrance from atop the mountain into the cave. I'm glad I have those memories and was sad to approach the ominous bars that now cover the entrance. A harsh whip snap to the back of the neck with an oil dip-stick to the genius who tried to poison the bats, or the lunk-heads who started a campfire in the cave (I saw the ashes) and the scores of others who left trash. Off of the ole' soap box and let out a sigh."

Wasatch Rebel
06-26-2010, 05:07 AM
I am 5'8" and have been since I was about 15. I distinctly remember that water being chest deep towards the back of the cave, ankle to knee deep most of the time. I seem to recall and I will be the first to admit that my memory is vague but the area I walked back into was a small room and if I wanted to go further I had to go under water and swim to the next room. That is why I quit, I was afraid I wouldn't make it and know one came with me. I am pretty sure my Dad knew I wouldn't go any further by myself or he wouldn't have let me continue by myself. That same trip my Dad and I took a higher route than the rest of the group. That was the most memorable because it was just he and I for part of the cave up above everyone else and we could here them splashing in the water below. That was for a just a bit. I recall something about a birth canal??? that was suppose to open into the last room where you could sign some book. But we never made it that far and as I have said my memory is vague.

blueeyes, are you sure you're not mixing it up with Provo Cave?: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=95690
The reason why I'm asking is that I've done a bit of searching on Logan Cave and haven't found any other mention of swimming underwater to another room. I also tried a Google search with "birth canal" and "Logan Cave" but only got "Nutty Putty Cave" to come up.

blueeyes
06-26-2010, 06:32 AM
No I am sure I was in the Logan Cave both times. I have only been in 5 caves Timpanogos and Mammoth Caves (2 different ones) all three were guided , then Bloomington Cave and that was back in October. As for Logan Cave I know I was chest deep in water and if I wanted to go further I had to swim. There is a spring that runs out of that cave. Now as for the birth canal I don't know I was just told there was a spot called that and we never made it to that spot. I was also told there was a book to sign in the back of the cave.

I looked for info as well but the cave was closed Oct 1 1997 and not many people did trip reports on the interwebs before 1997. At any rate I found this. http://www.brandonkowallis.com/Resources/BKCaveMaps/LoganCave.jpg

blueeyes
06-26-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=25226729380&topic=7682

Here is where some people talk about the cave and a crystal room. One girl even talks about how high the water could be depending on what time of year you went.

moab mark
06-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Had a bad day in there 20 years ago when we dropped 2 of our 3 flashlights in water. I still do not have all the skin back on my shins from climbing all the way back out in pretty much the dark.:angryfire: To bad you can't go in anymore.

carverbc
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Ah, I’m sad to see the photos of the fenced opening and the closure of the Logan cave. Back in the 1980’s I was the technical director for the Utah State University Business Dept.’s outdoor adventure camp farther up the canyon. Don’t know if it is still in operation and if our ropes course, zip lines, orienteering course, climbing walls etc are still up there? As a part of our 5-day program for executives, Mike Bogart and I created a fabulous emergency rescue simulation for team building that took place in the cave. There were often bats within, especially nearer the entrance where one of us had to lurk at a short down climb to offer spotting as the clients went passed. We never encountered water deeper than thigh and usually it was shin depth. I think that the lessons gained by the teams that went through the activity in Logan Cave were the most powerful of any in the many years and numerous scenarios I/we ever generated. ‘Any chance of reversing the closure decision? What a shame, there’s high adventure to be had in there. I was told (back in the day) that the cave had not completely been explored. Anyone know if that has changed?

Wasatch Rebel
06-26-2010, 02:18 PM
No I am sure I was in the Logan Cave both times. I have only been in 5 caves Timpanogos and Mammoth Caves (2 different ones) all three were guided , then Bloomington Cave and that was back in October. As for Logan Cave I know I was chest deep in water and if I wanted to go further I had to swim. There is a spring that runs out of that cave. Now as for the birth canal I don't know I was just told there was a spot called that and we never made it to that spot. I was also told there was a book to sign in the back of the cave.

I looked for info as well but the cave was closed Oct 1 1997 and not many people did trip reports on the interwebs before 1997. At any rate I found this. http://www.brandonkowallis.com/Resources/BKCaveMaps/LoganCave.jpg

Nice map! Anyway, I'm glad you have some great memories of the cave. I wish I would've found it sooner in life and then I could have those same kind of memories.:cry1:

Scott P
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
The reason why I'm asking is that I've done a bit of searching on Logan Cave and haven't found any other mention of swimming underwater to another room.

It depends on the season. In mid-winter (the best time to go), I've never seen the water much more than knee deep. In spring the cave is completely flooded and at times impossible without SCUBA gear. No matter how deep the water is though, it's always cold.

blueeyes
06-27-2010, 03:44 PM
It depends on the season. In mid-winter (the best time to go), I've never seen the water much more than knee deep. In spring the cave is completely flooded and at times impossible without SCUBA gear. No matter how deep the water is though, it's always cold.

That is why the men in the group I was with wouldn't go any further. Apparently it hurt. :lol8:

canyoncaver
07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
As far as I know the cave is permanently closed due to some idiots that tried to kill off the bats. Maybe someday we will be able to negotiate some sort of limited, permit access, but you can be sure that the gate will stay. It is a good lesson in how one group's actions can ruin access for all.

trackrunner
07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
It is a good lesson in how one group's actions can ruin access for all.

sure does. always sad when they do.

Wasatch Rebel
07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
sure does. always sad when they do.
+1

Sombeech
07-06-2010, 07:14 PM

I wonder if you're thinking of Ricks Springs just further up the canyon

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?38230-Utah-Cave-Dive-Article

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29926&stc=1&d=1247544961

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29924&stc=1&d=1247544975