PDA

View Full Version : Camera Backpack

asdf
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
So my Mountainsmith Borealis AT stated having some issues so I returned it and put those funds towards the purchase of a Clik Elite Hiker. Should be here soon along my my new camera ... :crazy:
I was unable to find the pack anywhere locally so I went ahead and purchased it sight unseen.

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/images/307/LG__LargeHiker_front.jpg

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/images/167

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/large-hiker/

ibenick
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
That looks like a sweet pack but pricey. Would love to know how it works out for you, I need to get one before I leave for Alaska next month. Just curious, what camera are you upgrading to?

asdf
06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I got that pack for $214 and considering I just got a $150 refund for my old pack it feels like I only paid 70 bucks for it.
Just picked up a 7D :naughty:

apcronnelly
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice!:2thumbs:

ibenick
06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
7D... very nice! :2thumbs: That sweet pack got me thinking. How do all of you SLR-toting Bogleyites prefer to carry those big cameras while you're actually hiking down a trail? I've seen those chest packs and some similar things but never tried them. I hate not having mine ready right away. Lately I've been using a Black Rapid strap. Works great but I have to rig a little piece of velcro to secure the camera to my backpack waste strap when I don't want it swinging around. It's also made using trekking poles less convenient. And last, no dirt/weather protection but I do throw it in a Zing cover if it gets nasty.

Link: http://www.blackrapid.com/

http://vimeo.com/11149405

asdf
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I use a holster bag.
In the middle on the back of the bag is belt loop where I attach a biner long ways, then I attach it to the main should/arm strap of my pack. Because the belt loop is in the middle of the bag I can slide it down near my hip and there is no sway or swing at all. To get the camera out of the bag I just slide it up the strap to my chest to pull it out... then I let go and its slides down to my hip.
Seriously simplistic, works very well and keeps the camera protected.
http://ucables.com/img/extra/CASE-LOGIC-SLRC-1Z-SL-R63815-1.jpg

I have really been thinking about this guy due to it fitting the camera with a grip. http://www.clikelite.com/shop/large-chest-pack/
There is no belt loop but I think I could rig it up to work in a similar manner as I mentioned above.

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/images/328/XL_large-chest.jpg

ibenick
06-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I wonder how that Clik chest pack would feel with that big back pad compressed under a 30-40 pound backpack...

brookiekiller
06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I use the Optech USA Backpack/Reporter connectors hooked up to some longer straps - the camera hangs from the frame of the backpack - not the neck, and is always at the ready. If bad weather looks like it is coming, I put a couple of bags around it and stuff it in my pack. I pack my extra lens in a lowe-pro padded lens case and just have it in the pack. This system is the best by far that I have found as my camera is always at the ready and I can use my big expedition pack and not worry about the camera. I have had a long zoom attached as I hike, and even then there isn't that much sway to the camera, I just strap it a little different.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=48&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=11#

asdf
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
testing 123
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4752751485_072ee4815f_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4753392128_12862aa8e8_z.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/4730363144_53c6417224.jpg

mhambi
07-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Nice. What's all that weigh in at?

ibenick
07-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now. Very nice. Also curious about weight... do you have enough room for a tent in there too? Looks like it could be small for a mixed weather trip but perfect for a desert/nice weather trip.

mhambi
07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now. Very nice. Also curious about weight... do you have enough room for a tent in there too? Looks like it could be small for a mixed weather trip but perfect for a desert/nice weather trip.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the 'tarp' it's all sitting on is a bivy bag and the black stuff sack an ultralight down bag maybe? All and all it's a pretty sweet setup!

asdf
07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now.

Really its my general camera bag and day hiker but I figured due to its size why not. I don't own a scale so I am not 100% of the weight. I would guess around 25-30lb.

6lb tripod
6lb pack
3lb bag
2lb camera
2lb in lenses
ect....

Changed the game plan up a bit.
I am going to replace the gear loops on the bottom of the pack so once I get 6 more inches I can strap on a compression sack with my bivy and sleeping bag then move the sleeping pad to the top. This will free up a lot of space inside the main compartment :2thumbs:

ibenick
07-15-2010, 12:38 PM
So how is the new pack? Big enough for backpacking? I really need to find something and get it this week but I don't think I need it to be quite as big... looking into some of Clik's smaller options.

ibenick
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
One more question Summit, what didn't you like about that Mountainsmith Borealis AT?

asdf
07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
One more question Summit, what didn't you like about that Mountainsmith Borealis AT?

It was a great camera back just not really a hiking bag. The lack of support/frame and water bottle pockets were the major issues and kept my hiking distances with this pack under 3miles. Also, I am a bigger guy at 6'2" 250lb and it always felt a little small on me.

As for the Clik ... I am not ready to use it for backpacking, maybe once I get a smaller sleeping bag I can give it a go.
I have been packing for timp this weekend and I can stuff everything in the clik (its a really tight fit) or fill the extra room in my 5200ci pack with beer and a hammock... obviously I am going with the latter.

ibenick
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
That sounds like the Mountainsmith wouldn't be good for me either then, I'm about 6'4" and 270. So is the Clik Hiker you bought possibly too large/heavy for short day hikes? For my immediate need I want to be able to pack my camera, a couple lenses, small tripod, 13" laptop and some personal things, water, jacket, etc. I doubt I ever would want to use the same pack to backpack but it would be nice to double it as a day hiker. It sucks no one sells these things locally, I hate having to judge by online pics and descriptions and I can't find a lot of reviews on the Clik bags.

asdf
07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
So far I have day hiked 20+ miles with the Clik elite and love it. I am able to pack my camera, two lenses, batteries, cleaning supplies, tripod, 3 light weight jackets, extra clothes for the kids, snacks, water bottle, and water filter with a bit of room to spare. I am not afraid to carry a heavy load and tend to over pack on every outing... its a gift really. If you want to meet up sometime we can hike and shoot so you can take it for a test drive.

ibenick
07-15-2010, 08:28 PM
So I dropped by REI on 33rd south tonight and what do I find? One Clik Elite Hiker in-stock and on clearance for $214. SWEET BAG! Before I saw it I was a little worried about it being too big but now I think it's perfect, especially for the upcoming week I'll be spending in Alaska. But man I would still love to go shoot with you sometime, I have much to learn!

asdf
07-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Score!

Dr. Nebz
08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I am using a Burton AK 20 L Pack that has a chest attachable canteen that fits my D90 with a 18-55 or 55-200 with ease.

The pack

The canteen

Inside the canteen

How it attaches to the front of the pack

On the Grandeur Peak Trail

Rigged to my Deuter 55+10 while backpacking China Meadows

The pack is hydration compatible for a 3 L bladder, has multiple pockets to store items in, and the inside main pocket has a place for shovel and probe for touring the backcountry in the winter. I can use it hiking, touring, or backpacking, even days at Snowbird when I want to shoot some winterscapes up there. I use it all year and it handles my camera like a champ. It is DWR treated, but for extra protection, I use a showercap as a rain cover on the canteen when backpacking. The shoulder strap that comes with the canteen will rig on your trekking pack and you can chest carry the camera backpacking too. It worked great on the last 3 trips I took. Just a cheaper option for getting in the backcountry with your camera. Oh and condensation, save those silica packets that you get in new items. They work great. My camera has had no problems with those in the canteen or the pack.

DWayne27
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Where is the best local gear store to find stuff like this? I should be buying my new camera within the week, and a good hiking/backpacking/canyoneering bag set up has been the last piece of the puzzle. I am glad I found this thread. I think I am really liking the Clik Elite brand stuff, and I think I will go for the chest pack to give me a little versatility, but I really want to be able to see how they work and play with them a little. Would PictureLine or anywhere else have something like that?

ibenick
10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I got my Clik at REI on 3300 South but they don't usually have them in-stock, they're online only. I really hate Kirkhams but I noticed they had a pretty nice selection of Clik bags there. When you walk in, go left over by the sleeping bags.

DWayne27
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I think now my only question is to get the bigger "backpacking" pack, or the Nature, which is significantly smaller, and seems more suited to day hikes...

ibenick
10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I got the bigger Hiker pack and for some situations it's great but in retrospect I wish I had gone with the Nature. If you want the bigger one I'll sell you mine so I can get the smaller one. :naughty:

If I had kids and maybe did more just day trips the larger one might be better for me but usually it's just too big.

DWayne27
10-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the input and the offer. Since I have yet to actually take my first backpacking trip, and the vast majority of my trips are day hikes, I guess there is no sense in paying more for the bigger set up.

Do you have one of the chestpacks too? I am wondering if I could take the chest pack and rig it to a different bag when I go canyoneering, so as to not thrash the Clik Elite...

Tubedae86
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I have been looking for a camera backpack that can be used for canyoneering that is great for clothing and supplies also! Seems to be nothing like it that is dependable, or a 1/2 and 1/2 of each. I dont care if its a larger bag and i have to carry more weight. Just something that gets the job done.

ibenick
10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Do you have one of the chestpacks too? I am wondering if I could take the chest pack and rig it to a different bag when I go canyoneering, so as to not thrash the Clik Elite...

No, I'm not a fan. I hate nothing more than having to unzip something to get my camera out and take a picture. It's gotta be right there and ready. I can barely tolerate lens caps. I just use a Blackrapid strap and then slip the camera into a Zing if the weather is rough.

tmartenst
10-22-2010, 11:36 PM
How much do you want for the Hiker? I'm not sure I need something that big either but I am somewhat tired of wrapping my cameras in capilene shirts when I go backpacking.

ibenick
10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
How much do you want for the Hiker? I'm not sure I need something that big either but I am somewhat tired of wrapping my cameras in capilene shirts when I go backpacking.

I'd be happy with $150. My other complaint with it is that its torso adjustment doesn't extend long enough for me. I'm 6'4 and I would like another 2-3" for it to fit right.

asdf
10-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd be happy with $150. My other complaint with it is that its torso adjustment doesn't extend long enough for me. I'm 6'4 and I would like another 2-3" for it to fit right.

I am 6'2" and the torso is about a 1/2 inch to short but pretty close to perfect. I cant figure the thought process behind the ranges of the torso, XS will fit my 3yo perfectly but there is no XXL... WTF. Anyways I still love mine and I am currently using it as my main camera bag.

tmartenst
10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't have the same problem as you guys as I am 5'9" and 150lbs. Think it would work fine?

I have the Kata 3N1-20 with the tripod holster and it treats me well for most purposes but for backpacks, the Clik would be good.

oldno7
10-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Lowepro has a sale on at Amazon today, you must use Amazon only, not a 3rd party seller. Promo code---TRC2YTGQ
I believe it's 30% off.

tmartenst
10-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Nice. I've got a few Lowe Pros. If their Slingshot had an option to convert to a backpack instead of a sling only, I might be interested again.

I just found a company called F-Stop which make a killer product that can be used for backcountry, etc. Very interested.

http://fstopgear.com/

wes242
12-10-2010, 06:48 AM
I heard of Fstopgear by my friend in Australia who is becoming a distrubutor down there for them. And the good friend that he is, ordered me up one of there Tilopa bags (free). They are way more then I would ever spend for one, so once I get it next week I will give it a good test run.

Bo_Beck
12-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I've known Bryce for quite a while ever since he sold his company "Ultimate Direction" to American Rec. Products. He is quite the outdoor adventurer. Most recently he has invested his time between 2 companies; one of which is his Clik Elite. A couple months ago I helped with his photoshoot for his 2011 catalogue and picked up a couple of his product. A Pro-Elite and a Traveller. Both are extremely well built and well thought out. They do cost a bit, but well worth the money. Will be anxious to do some testing with them soon!

Bo_Beck
12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I have been looking for a camera backpack that can be used for canyoneering that is great for clothing and supplies also! Seems to be nothing like it that is dependable, or a 1/2 and 1/2 of each. I dont care if its a larger bag and i have to carry more weight. Just something that gets the job done.

Clik Elite is working on just exactly what you are looking for! I spoke with Bryce a couple weeks ago just before he was leaving for the orient and he described his new design to be almost identical to what you are looking for. 1/2 and 1/2- Gear and waterproof.

asdf
12-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I have heard from a few people the new line of packs are going to be pretty sick.

I get a lot of hits on my flickr account from people googleing click elite... you should tell your friend to pass some gear my way :)

(Sent from my phone in the desert)