PDA

View Full Version : Zion for me next week.

velox
06-18-2010, 05:58 PM
I will be in Zion camping next week Tuesday to Friday at the Watchman Campgound. I will be doing day hikes: A's Landing, Obsevation Point, Emerald Pools, and what not, I may even hike up the Narrows a bit.

Anything I need to check out that is not so obvious ?

Also, I may camp in the backcounty thurs night, so should I do East Rim trail (cable Mt.), or the West Rim trail?

There is stuff in East Zion I would like to do but the road being closed might stop me.

On the way down I will check out Kolob Canyon for the first time.

One last thing I am little fat and not in the best shape, but if I go slow I do just fine.

Scott P
06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
IMHO, camping at Watchman is miserable at this time of year (at least it has been any time I've done it this time of year-which is several times). It seems it's always windy and it is hot until the middle of the night.

Angels Landing and Observation Point will be hot hikes, so start early.

Lower Pine Creek and Middle Echo from the bottom (along the Observation Point Trail) are usually nice this time of year. Hidden Canyon is pretty shaded, but get an early start to get to the mouth.

The Subway is wonderful, but you have to get a permit. If you don't want to stand in line, you may consider asking at the Kolob Visitor Center and seeing if there are any permits left.

Personally, I like the West Rim a little better than the East Rim, but that's my opinion.

jiveassmother
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I think that the West Rim is a little nicer than the East Rim as well. You should definitely spring for the vehicle shuttle and do the West Rim one way from Lava Point to the Grotto. If you are going to not do the shuttle, The East Rim from Weeping Rock would probably be better. Also if you do the East Rim trail be sure to hike out to Deertrap Mountain, it's well worth the trip. A trail that is a little cooler this time of year and very pretty would be the Northgate Peaks and Wildcat Trail off of the Kolob Terrace Road. I the Kolob area of the park off of the interstate, the middle fork of Taylor Creek is nice. It is going to be hot this week so hike early and nap during the heat of the day. :cool2:

ratagonia
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I will be in Zion camping next week Tuesday to Friday at the Watchman Campgound. I will be doing day hikes: A's Landing, Obsevation Point, Emerald Pools, and what not, I may even hike up the Narrows a bit.

Anything I need to check out that is not so obvious ?

Also, I may camp in the backcounty thurs night, so should I do East Rim trail (cable Mt.), or the West Rim trail?

There is stuff in East Zion I would like to do but the road being closed might stop me.

On the way down I will check out Kolob Canyon for the first time.

One last thing I am little fat and not in the best shape, but if I go slow I do just fine.

Super duper hot out, these last few days. Us 'plump boys' have a harder time in that than the skinny ones.

Tom

Iceaxe
06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
I would move hiking the Zion Narrows to the top of your list if you have never done it before. This time of year hiking near the cool clear water on a hot day is heaven,

Deathcricket
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Kanarra Creek is nice. Lots of water to stay cool. It's really hot right now. Look for water stuff.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/kanarra-creek.htm
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/kanarracreek.cfm
http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/kanarra.htm