PDA

View Full Version : Black Hole Conditions

rockgremlin
06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Hey guys. I'm getting sucked into the black hole this weekend. Anyone know if there's any logjams or other treachery I need to know about?

There's room for more if others wanna join up with me. Let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

jman
06-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey guys. I'm getting sucked into the black hole this weekend. Anyone know if there's any logjams or other treachery I need to know about?

Thanks a bunch.

No one has sent in any updates to me about it...sorry.

moab mark
06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
What about Friday?

Thanks a bunch.

rockgremlin
06-17-2010, 06:11 AM
We're hitting it on Saturday.

Who's in?

moab mark
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Can't do Saturday have fun

We're hitting it on Saturday.

Who's in?

Iceaxe
06-17-2010, 07:52 AM
The no-see-um's are starting to show up in Cedar Mesa and Escalante. They are really bad this year, the worst I have seen. They are still really spotty in where you will encounter them, but the Black Hole always gets hit with them a some point in time.... so beware...

Here is a picture of what the no-see-ums did to my legs in short order over in Butler Wash.

rockgremlin
06-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah the gnats/no-see-ums are out in force right now. I refer you to my patented formula for keeping them at bay:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35922-ROCKGREMLIN-53-GNATS-0

trackrunner
06-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I was planning on the black hole & fry this saturday. my partners backed out. anyone want to commute from SLC area?

Scott Card
06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
The no-see-um's are starting to show up in Cedar Mesa and Escalante. They are really bad this year, the worst I have seen. They are still really spotty in where you will encounter them, but the Black Hole always gets hit with them a some point in time.... so beware...

Here is a picture of what the no-see-ums did to my legs in short order over in Butler Wash.

34716Quit shaving you legs. Bugs aren't very good bush whackers. :haha:

Cirrus2000
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Quit shaving you legs. Bugs aren't very good bush whackers. :haha:
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

rockgremlin
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Nevermind. This trip has been postponed until the following weekend (Jun 26).

rockgremlin
06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Did The Black Hole today (Saturday June 26). Conditions are as follows:

Canyon is extremely dry right now....the driest I've seen it in a while. The actual Black Hole section is still very wet, and required at least 300' of swimming in very cold water. A wetsuit came in very handy for this section. The water was very cold, very clean, and there are NO LOGJAMS! Disregard the sign posted at the trailhead that warns of logjams and has pictures from 3 years ago of the 30 foot logjams that were a problem at the time. There is hardly any wood in the canyon right now. A short length of rope with knots tied into it is fixed at the drop into the mandatory swimming section. The gnats are out in force up on top, but nonexistent once inside the canyon.

Scott P
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Disregard the sign posted at the trailhead that warns of logjams and has pictures from 3 years ago of the 30 foot logjams that were a problem at the time.

Speaking of the sign, can it be removed?

The log jams haven't been in there for a long time. The sign should not be there.

oldno7
06-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Speaking of the sign, can it be removed?

The log jams haven't been in there for a long time. The sign should not be there.

2 signs--one at the parking lot and one at the bottom of the side canyon going into White Canyon.

remoteman45
06-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Any photos rockgremlin? Would have loved to have joined you but a vehicle in the shop prevented it. Hope to go next weekend

rockgremlin
06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Any photos rockgremlin? Would have loved to have joined you but a vehicle in the shop prevented it. Hope to go next weekend

No problemo dude. We showed up, saw no sign of you and figured something probably came up. We'll get together another time. I THOUGHT I packed my camera, but to my chagrin discovered that I hadn't once on the trail. :angryfire:

Pelon1
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
We have some pics of our trip through on Friday, will post when we get home (tomorrow), the internet at the hotel in blanding won't let me upload pics:fitz:

MiCanyoneer
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
How bad would it have been without a wet suit.
ANyone done Black hole without a wetsuit?
How cold tolerant are you?
Where is the closes place to rent a wet suit to the black hole?

Iceaxe
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I've done the Black Hole several times without a wetsuit. So long as it's over 90 it's not a problem for me.... but I'm not a candyass when it comes to cold....