PDA

View Full Version : 3 hikers (2 are kids) missing in Zion NP on Fat Man's Misery

izzy
06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Three hikers (an adult and a couple of kids 12,16) have been missing on Fat Man's Misery in Zion National Park since yesterday. They were supposed to spend the day (Friday) on the trail and camp in the south campground in the park. However, they didn't make it out last night (Friday) and their vehicle is still at the trailhead. SAR has just started searching.

Scott P
06-12-2010, 07:34 PM
There has been a flash flood warning out for Zion National Park and vicinity:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=UTZ019&warncounty=UTC053&firewxzone=UTZ439&local_place1=Saint+George+UT&product1=Flash+Flood+Watch

Does anyone know if that area recieved a lot of rain?

Let's hope for the best and that are found safe.

izzy
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
The helicopter was not able to find them tonight. They'll resume the search at first light. I'm sure they'd like volunteers if anybody is in a position to be able to help.

ratagonia
06-12-2010, 10:36 PM
The helicopter was not able to find them tonight. They'll resume the search at first light. I'm sure they'd like volunteers if anybody is in a position to be able to help.

Is there a CALL for volunteers? Please provide a link. Volunteers are not always helpful.

Tom

izzy
06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Is there a CALL for volunteers? Please provide a link. Volunteers are not always helpful.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. You make a good point. I'll see if I can get that info.

izzy
06-13-2010, 09:27 AM
It sounds like they only want experts on the trail at this point.

jman
06-13-2010, 09:47 AM
You know any more details? I assume you are related or friend to the missing folks. Do you know what canyon/fork they entered? Do you know if they were inexperienced or veterans to canyoneering? first time down the canyon? I checked the CFS for parunuweap and from friday till now it has ranged from 38 to 43 CFS. Anything above 50 CFS would be really difficult for everyone (especially the younger kids).

Hope they can be found today.

izzy
06-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd say moderate experience. This was the first time down the canyon, but they've been on similar trails. The father should have had no problem with the equipment, but I suppose anything can happen on a new trail. To the best of my knowledge, they'd parked at the trailhead just west of the east entrance on highway 9 and had taken the standard route:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/misery00.jpg

It sounds like they were the only ones on the trail and nobody had been on since. They've found tracks past the first rappel and have a couple of choppers out looking along with 4 on foot. Sounds like it hasn't rained.

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 10:43 AM
One of my friends is on this search team.
Last night in an email while prepping for a 5am start he wrote:
--Hastily packing, not sure if it will be one day or more. I think the plan is for 3 of us to start in through the bottom of another canyon then rap down somewhere to look for footprints if none found jumar out. If we find some we follow.--

I believe there was rain yesterday, even hail in the valley. Spoke briefly to some other friends that had just exited Heaps and they said the weather got "bad" right at the hardest part of Heaps for them...I'm guessing mid afternoon.

Sending lots of positive energy to the missing folks, the family and friends, as well as the search team.

izzy
06-13-2010, 10:55 AM
--Hastily packing, not sure if it will be one day or more. I think the plan is for 3 of us to start in through the bottom of another canyon then rap down somewhere to look for footprints if none found jumar out. If we find some we follow.--

I believe there was rain yesterday, even hail in the valley. Spoke briefly to some other friends that had just exited Heaps and they said the weather got "bad" right at the hardest part of Heaps for them...I'm guessing mid afternoon.

Sending lots of positive energy to the missing folks, the family and friends, as well as the search team.

Thanks for the info.

Iceaxe
06-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Curious... who's running the SAR... Zion NP or Kane County?

It's not always easy to find the route back over Checkerboard, particularly if rain erases footprints.

ratagonia
06-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Of canyons to be in for bad weather, Fat Man's is a good one as there are lots of escapes. Backcountry routes are called 'routes' not trails - calling them 'trails' is an indicator of a lack of understanding of the nature backcountry travel. (Thus, I guess that izzy is not particularly backcountry savvy). The problem for Fat Man's is navigation, rather than technical. Most likely they got lost. Hopefully they hold still so they can be found, rather than wandering further afield.

The difference between a "trail" and a "route" is that a trail can be followed without a map, whereas a route cannot. Routes have some signs of passage, and might get pretty close to being a trail; but have spots where you need to KNOW where you are going.

Tom :moses:

izzy
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Of canyons to be in for bad weather, Fat Man's is a good one as there are lots of escapes. Backcountry routes are called 'routes' not trails - calling them 'trails' is an indicator of a lack of understanding of the nature backcountry travel. (Thus, I guess that izzy is not particularly backcountry savvy). The problem for Fat Man's is navigation, rather than technical. Most likely they got lost. Hopefully they hold still so they can be found, rather than wandering further afield.

The difference between a "trail" and a "route" is that a trail can be followed without a map, whereas a route cannot. Routes have some signs of passage, and might get pretty close to being a trail; but have spots where you need to KNOW where you are going.

Thanks. I do have some level of experience in southern utah, but mostly in canyonlands. Most of my experience has been in the mountains of Northern Utah/Wyoming, so forgive my terminology. It sounds like they have finished searching the "slot" and have not found them, so hopefully they've just taken a wrong turn somewhere and nothing more serious.

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Curious... who's running the SAR... Zion NP or Kane County?

My friend is with Zion NP but that is not necessarily the answer.

It sounds like they have finished searching the "slot" and have not found them, so hopefully they've just taken a wrong turn somewhere and nothing more serious.
This sounds like good news and matches up with Tom's thinking.

izzy
06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
They've been in voice contact with somebody who is "cliffed out". Don't know who or how many. So, hopefully that's them.

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
That's awesome(sort of).............I'm sure it doesn't feel great to be cliffed out....but awesome that they have made contact!

izzy
06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
They've been in voice contact with somebody who is "cliffed out". Don't know who or how many. So, hopefully that's them.

Sending a chopper to the cliff.

izzy
06-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Helicopter saw three people waving on a cliff...150 feet up. Most likely them!

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
The next part of the rescue could be a little tricky and might take some time but it sounds like you will have a happy ending. Glad to hear!

I will be curious to hear the details of what happened, if you would be kind enough to share when you get them. I can think of a couple of scenarios that would put all three of them there. I have had to prusik up 75 feet when I least expected it but going up the rope it is an important skill to have.

Iceaxe
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for providing info. :2thumbs:

It's been interesting to follow this in what is nearly realtime....

izzy
06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
They are physically unharmed and have been provided food/water while working to get them off the cliff. I suspect they heard the helicopter and were trying to get to higher ground to be seen, but we'll see.

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
More good news. Thanks for the update!! I'm sure the family is very thankful for all the folks working on this rescue.

Looks like there might be some noteworthy wind issues in the area http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=slc&sid=KSGU&num=72 which could be complicating the helicopter crew's work. I'm sure it seems like it is taking an eternity to get them off that ledge and it might take another night....but in the grand scheme of things they will get them home.

moab mark
06-13-2010, 05:31 PM
They are physically unharmed and have been provided food/water while working to get them off the cliff. I suspect they heard the helicopter and were trying to get to higher ground to be seen, but we'll see.

Izzy,

Thanks for all the info, do you work for Zion National Park?

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 05:37 PM
izzy is a family member of the missing folks and 1500 miles away....per PM.

izzy
06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
No, not a park employee, just a family member who felt kind of helpless half a continent away. Anyway, I just got word that they're out! I'll see if I can find what the problem was.

Suz_AZ
06-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Woohoo! Great news!

jhillock
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Very interesting. 2 of us did rock canyon today and heard a helicopter flying around in the vicinity of what we thought would be fat man's and one of us said, "hope that's not search and rescue." Glad everyone made it out safely.

izzy
06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
From what I understand, they simply took a wrong turn on the way in and rappelled down something that was larger than anything on the intended route (notice I didn't say trail :wink:). At that point, it made more sense to proceed towards the river and look for another way out than to try scaling the cliff. Unfortunately, after another rappel, they found themselves on a 300' ledge with only 240' of rope (somewhere near the Parunuweap...maybe actually overlooking the river) and were forced to sleep there two nights. Eventually, thanks to the SAR (not sure if it was Zion guys or not, but they are some of the best there are from what I hear), they were spotted and plucked out.

jman
06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
From what I understand, they simply took a wrong turn on the way in and rappelled down something that was larger than anything on the intended route (notice I didn't say trail :wink:). At that point, it made more sense to proceed towards the river and look for another way out than to try scaling the cliff. Unfortunately, after another rappel, they found themselves on a 300' ledge with only 240' of rope (somewhere near the Parunuweap...maybe actually overlooking the river) and were forced to sleep there two nights. Eventually, thanks to the SAR (not sure if it was Zion guys or not, but they are some of the best there are from what I hear), they were spotted and plucked out.

Glad everything turned out good!
As it is easy to get lost if you are not paying attention, or read a topo wrong, etc...at least they DIDN'T break rule#1 of hiking/canyoneering which is to tell someone where you are going (at the very least).

accadacca
06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Glad to hear that they have been found and are okay. Thanks for the updates. :popcorn: And please keep them coming...

BTW...is one of them a member of Bogley?

izzy
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Glad to hear that they have been found and are okay. Thanks for the updates. :popcorn: And please keep them coming...
No problem.

BTW...is one of them a member of Bogley?

Nope.

oldno7
06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Glad to hear they were rescued.

Alex
06-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Glad everything worked out good. May I suggest you tell them to get SPOT for the next adventure. It would have cut down their wait time in half if they had it and the family would have known what's going on right away.

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Suz, that was Paul and it was Paul, Dan and Myself that went down the exit to Fat Mans, then proceeded to Labyrinth Falls, then rapped Labyrinth and hiked Parunuweap. About 1.5 miles below Labyrinth we heard screaming and pinpointed the 3 hikers about 500' up in a small slot. It was a sheer 500' cliff and apparently they had rapped down 150' or so and then realized that they were stuck We called in the chopper. A team was flown on top and extricated the 3 all in good health I left EOC at 7:30PM after a 16 hour day so I don't know the particulars? We got back from Parunuweap before the rest arrived back to EOC. A good thing the folks were keeping an eye out below, because we'd have never seen them if they hadn't yelled. They were at least 900' away from us and the sound of the river almost muffled their yells. There was little chance they'd have been spotted from the Air?

oldno7
06-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Great effort Bo....
WOW, these guys were way off the fatmans route.

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM

They were pretty far off course! They were at least 500' up, maybe 600' ? They certainly did the right thing by staying put, but I must commend them for having the wits to watch below. They spotted us and screamed with all their might. Secondly, they had accumulated firewood and started a fire/smoke to insure that we would spot them. I really don't know how long they would have sat up there if we hadn't hiked Parunuweap? Give them my thanks for spotting us and for screaming at us below, we'd have never seen them. I'm extremely happy they are all OK.

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Great effort Bo....
WOW, these guys were way off the fatmans route.

Thanks Curt,
It was an interesting day to say the least. We got to Labyrinth and sat for probably 2 hours or more. We hadn't seen any evidence that they might have passed through, but made the decision (along with the decision and blessing of Andrew, SAR Ops.) to continue down Parunuweap. Dan, Paul and I thought there would be fat-chance that we might locate them, but under WINCASIE we could at least deem the area as part of the search and plug it in so that it would become a small percentage, P.O.A. (probability of area), and let us focus more resources in other areas. I guess someone was looking down and over us yesterday (literally) as we spotted the hikers not much more than an hour after rapping Labyrinth. I'm just really thankful, as this could have turned out differently had the hikers not been keeping an eagle eye out at the river below.

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Eventually, thanks to the SAR (not sure if it was Zion guys or not, but they are some of the best there are from what I hear), they were spotted and plucked out.

Thanks Izzy,
There were a lot of people involved on the search, and yes....highly trained and skilled. Yesterday there were 2 ground teams (one team sweeping "Misery" and another reversing and continuing after the exit), and a highly trained and skilled "Air Team". After the hikers were located, a very skilled high angle team was formed and flown in to affect the rescue. Glad your relatives were found unharmed.

erial
06-14-2010, 08:19 AM
So were they at the Crawford Wash pouroff or further east?

Did you all have to retrace your steps or were you able to continue on thru Pweap?

seb42
06-14-2010, 08:32 AM
A canyon story with a happy ending :nod:!

Way to go Bo and everyone else involved with the rescue!

Planning to do Fat Man's on June 29th :2thumbs:

izzy
06-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Huge thanks to Bo, Paul, Dan and the other SAR guys. Sounds like you have a great reputation for a reason.

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
So were they at the Crawford Wash pouroff or further east?

Did you all have to retrace your steps or were you able to continue on thru Pweap?

No, they were further east. We had a map that only showed as far west as Labyrinth or a bit further. I'll have to get the GPS coords. so I can see exactly where they were. I know that we had to hike at maybe 6 more miles to get to Trees Ranch from where the incident took place?

Bo_Beck
06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
A canyon story with a happy ending :nod:!

Way to go Bo and everyone else involved with the rescue!

Planning to do Fat Man's on June 29th :2thumbs:

Just make sure that you head east after rounding the southern tip of Checkerboard Mesa and cross several small drainages. I always say to look for the large "White Whales Back" formation, and steer for the top of this ridge. The West Fork of Misery is the canyon far below (to the east) of this North-South running formation. Cheers!

ratagonia
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
No, they were further east. We had a map that only showed as far west as Labyrinth or a bit further. I'll have to get the GPS coords. so I can see exactly where they were. I know that we had to hike at maybe 6 more miles to get to Trees Ranch from where the incident took place?

From the details presented here, AND sketchy notes I have received from someone else, sounds like they followed the drainage out the south side of Checkerboard Pass, which leads to a canyon, then a BIG dropoff.

Tom

hank moon
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
ZNP Press release attached

Iceaxe
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
The incident highlights the importance of notifying someone of your hiking plans and expected return time.

I'll roger that.... :2thumbs:

ratagonia
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
The incident highlights the importance of notifying someone of your hiking plans and expected return time.

I'll roger that.... :2thumbs:

Uh, yeah, whatever! Knowing how to read a map, bringing a map, and reading the map before you are lost work even better.

rcwild
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Uh, yeah, whatever! Knowing how to read a map, bringing a map, and reading the map before you are lost work even better.

Here's a crazy thought -- How about advising people to learn to use a map AND to tell someone where they are going and when they expect to return.

tanya
06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Good Job Bo and SAR Guys! :clap:

erial
06-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I was thinking it might have been a double plus day for Bo. The search had a good outcome and he got to go thru P-weap. Of course, he probably had 60 lbs on his back and the last stretch was probably blazing hot, but still he got to go thru P-weap.

Bo_Beck
06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
I was thinking it might have been a double plus day for Bo. The search had a good outcome and he got to go thru P-weap. Of course, he probably had 60 lbs on his back and the last stretch was probably blazing hot, but still he got to go thru P-weap.

Well? Sort of! The big plus was spotting the hikers for sure, but as far as going thru Parunuweap? We stayed at the bottom (below the ledged up hikers until voice contact was made from the rescuers above) until around 3PM'ish. We still had a long way to go to get out to Springdale with chance of thunderstorms...anyhow, once we started moving we stepped up the pace to a speed that afforded little time to stop and smell the roses, then the Deer Flies began their evening forage. We did get out in good time, just in time to have some fresh Pizza supplied by the park for the folks involved. No..my pack wasn't too bad at all. I think Dan carried the most? We took only a 120' rope and some personal gear with us, so packs weren't horrendously heavy. The temps were IDEAL though. The clouds kept the temps quite tolerable.

Bo_Beck
06-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Good Job Bo and SAR Guys! :clap:

Thanks Tanya!
Hey...Labyrinth Falls was flowing a lot more than the time we went together! It was beautiful. I hiked back under the falls after we rappelled, and it was cool from below as well! If a kayaker were to consider trying to run the falls I would only suggest that they not try. The falls drop into a scoop at the bottom and then shoot out of a funnel into a big pond at the end. Would be a disaster waiting to happen. Below the Falls to Springdale is over-rated. Imagine 3 miles of the routefinding/boulder hopping similar to lower pine creek followed by 6 miles of creekbed/routefinding similar to lower Left Fork of North Creek with out the trails and thicker vegetation. Certainly a beautiful area, but relentless and unforgiving.

tanya
06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Perhaps overrated, but your kind of fun. :mrgreen:

Cirrus2000
06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks Tanya!
Hey...Labyrinth Falls was flowing a lot more than the time we went together! It was beautiful. I hiked back under the falls after we rappelled, and it was cool from below as well! If a kayaker were to consider trying to run the falls I would only suggest that they not try. The falls drop into a scoop at the bottom and then shoot out of a funnel into a big pond at the end. Would be a disaster waiting to happen. Below the Falls to Springdale is over-rated. Imagine 3 miles of the routefinding/boulder hopping similar to lower pine creek followed by 6 miles of creekbed/routefinding similar to lower Left Fork of North Creek with out the trails and thicker vegetation. Certainly a beautiful area, but relentless and unforgiving.

Huh - interesting stuff! This turned into a kind of Trip Report on something many of us may never get a chance to do... :nod: :bootyshake:

Way to go, SAR - and Bo! Glad everyone is OK.

Bo_Beck
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Get onto Google Earth and locate the coordinates: 37.11.055 N. Lat, and 112.52.737 W. Lon. and this will put you where the lost hikers were located. (Coord. system Deg-Decimal Minutes). They had rappelled an initial 50' and then had downclimbed 3 8'-12' high obstacles to arrive at the ledge that they spent 2 nights. From their perch it was between 500'-600' vertical feet to the talus slope below.

Iceaxe
06-15-2010, 01:36 PM

There are always a lot of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" in something like this..... but how about we at least give them credit for doing something right that eventually saved their butts???

thedesertnomad
06-16-2010, 05:21 AM
they didn't make it out last night (Friday) and their vehicle is still at the trailhead. SAR has just started searching.

Glad that all are well, but what I am curious about is where they were parked... they shouldn't have been allowed to park at the typical trailhead on a Friday during the construction. Crews have been sweeping everyone out of the park by 9ish am every weekday.

Bo_Beck
06-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Glad that all are well, but what I am curious about is where they were parked... they shouldn't have been allowed to park at the typical trailhead on a Friday during the construction. Crews have been sweeping everyone out of the park by 9ish am every weekday.

Outside the East Entrance, and walked in.

Bo_Beck
06-16-2010, 06:38 AM
there are always a lot of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" in something like this..... But how about we at least give them credit for doing something right that eventually saved their butts???

for sure!

Bo_Beck
06-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Huh - interesting stuff! This turned into a kind of Trip Report on something many of us may never get a chance to do... :nod: :bootyshake:

Way to go, SAR - and Bo! Glad everyone is OK.

Hey, you are right! It certainly wasn't a hike for pleasure this time, but when I hiked from Mineral Gulch, down Parunuweap and out to Springdale back in 1991 with a group of Boy Scouts I kept up a fast pace as well and really didn't get to see a lot that time either. We started the hike at 5AM and finished at 9:30PM! One day it would be nice if this route could be opened back up to the public again!? You do know that it is legal to hike into the Park as far as Labyrinth Falls though (but not beyond the top of the Falls)...don't you? Labyrinth Falls is really beautiful from the top, and not so interesting looking up from the bottom anyway.

Cirrus2000
06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey, you are right! It certainly wasn't a hike for pleasure this time, but when I hiked from Mineral Gulch, down Parunuweap and out to Springdale back in 1991 with a group of Boy Scouts I kept up a fast pace as well and really didn't get to see a lot that time either. We started the hike at 5AM and finished at 9:30PM! One day it would be nice if this route could be opened back up to the public again!? You do know that it is legal to hike into the Park as far as Labyrinth Falls though (but not beyond the top of the Falls)...don't you? Labyrinth Falls is really beautiful from the top, and not so interesting looking up from the bottom anyway.
After Fat Man's last year, we never went to the falls on the exit, which I regret now, having heard about them. I also saw some video that the two Mikes took at the falls, and it looked really cool... Oh well, another time!

Bo_Beck
05-21-2011, 07:12 AM
They were pretty far off course! They were at least 500' up, maybe 600' ? They certainly did the right thing by staying put, but I must commend them for having the wits to watch below. They spotted us and screamed with all their might. Secondly, they had accumulated firewood and started a fire/smoke to insure that we would spot them. I really don't know how long they would have sat up there if we hadn't hiked Parunuweap? Give them my thanks for spotting us and for screaming at us below, we'd have never seen them. I'm extremely happy they are all OK.

A family walked into the store yesterday and came up to me and said, "thank you for saving our lives!". I was a bit baffled, but soon learned that it was the folks that we had helped out of "Not Fat Mans Misery" last year! What a nice family and I so much appreciate that they found me, and am honored to have served them. I am glad I could lend a hand to such nice folks!

Brian in SLC
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Awesome, Bo!!

dbaxter
05-21-2011, 04:19 PM
That is awesome! No one deserves it more than you, Bo!

Sombeech
05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
That's pretty cool

accadacca
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Awesome.

tanya
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
:hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail 2thechief::hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail2thec hief:

Scott Card
05-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Congrats Bo. Well deserved.

I personally hold Bo way up there on my list of really good people. I have only met Bo once a few weeks ago but all I know of him is all good.