PDA

View Full Version : Undercover, MMI and Wintercamp This Weekend?

iceman
06-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Saturday and Sunday. Anybody want to go along with a couple of rookies? Sorry about the short notice.

qedcook
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Weather might not cooperate with your plans?

iceman
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Yea, I have been watching the forecast get a little cooler and more chance of precip everyday. I am still going to head down there and see what happens. Anybody think of any safer canyons or technical routes to do in the Moab area if T-storms are brewing. Was thinking maybe Elephant Butte, but there were a couple of areas that sketched me out last time and I don't know that my wife would be willing to do it.

qedcook
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Almost all of the 'canyons' in arches that aren't really canyons would be fine to do in rain(but lightning is always a problem), ie: big horn, tierdrop, etc. However, as Tom is always quick to point out, sandstone anchors weaken when wet.

ratagonia
06-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Almost all of the 'canyons' in arches that aren't really canyons would be fine to do in rain(but lightning is always a problem), ie: big horn, tierdrop, etc. However, as Tom is always quick to point out, sandstone anchors weaken when wet.

Warms my heart (sniff, sniff). :cry1: Good to see my minions doing my work for me...

The rock gets weak when wet. Makes grooves groovier, holds break, anchors fail. While your personal safety is (mostly) your own concern, you might screw up a route pretty good (when breaking the anchor and falling to your death) and THAT impacts the community. :mrgreen:

Tom :moses:

iceman
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
We got skunked. The 30% chance of showers turned to 100% most of Saturday and 70% for Sunday. Had a good time anyway and we will reschedule. Thanks for the the very helpful advice.