PDA

View Full Version : Flow in Boundary

swassmaster
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Wow I saw Boundary is flowing at 5-7! What is that like? I did Kolob at 5 cfs and it was a riot! Does anyone have experience and recommendations? I was planning on hitting Boundary this Saturday 6/12. Will the water drop much in 5 days and if not is 5-7 cfs to high for this canyon. They are not releasing from the resevoir.

I also posted this in the Canyon conditions thread so soory for the multiple posts. Thanks for any Input.

ratagonia
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Wow I saw Boundary is flowing at 5-7! What is that like? I did Kolob at 5 cfs and it was a riot! Does anyone have experience and recommendations? I was planning on hitting Boundary this Saturday 6/12. Will the water drop much in 5 days and if not is 5-7 cfs to high for this canyon. They are not releasing from the resevoir.

They are not releasing from the reservoir into Kolob? other than the hike from Boundary to MIA exit, there are no consequences to that. I'm just asking for clarification, as the context of your sentence seems to imply a reservoir above Boundary.

5 cfs, 7 cfs, etc. All are estimates. When they set the release at the Kolob Reservoir, the guy does it by eyeballing the flow. At least, i can tell you that there is a wide range of "5 cfs" in there, and it seems to vary, day by day.

"is 5-7 cfs too high for this canyon" - ... the canyon doesn't mind... :lol8: But seriously, yes that is a lot of water in that small canyon, if true. You should be prepared to back off if you get there and it is too rowdy, of course. Bring a 300' rope along and you could do Pipe Spring Canyon.

Tom :moses:

jman
06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Bring a 300' rope along and you could do Pipe Spring Canyon.

never done that one. What's it like, besides some big raps I assume?

ratagonia
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
never done that one. What's it like, besides some big raps I assume?

http://tinyurl.com/2enhmz4

Tom

jman
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2enhmz4

Tom

I figured something like this might happen...haha. I deserve that.

Thanks for sharing

swassmaster
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks Tom. Pipe Springs eh? Looks interesting! I only I hadn't lost my 90 meter in Heaps (long story). I was basing the 5-7 cfs off the canyon conditions thread and thought it seemed high. Would that be from runoff or is there a seasonal spring. I guess the best bet is to be ready to turn around if things look out of control like you said.

ratagonia
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks Tom. Pipe Springs eh? Looks interesting! I only I hadn't lost my 90 meter in Heaps (long story). I was basing the 5-7 cfs off the canyon conditions thread and thought it seemed high. Would that be from runoff or is there a seasonal spring. I guess the best bet is to be ready to turn around if things look out of control like you said.

I think I would consider it more of a seasonal spring kinda thing. I have not been up there so I don't really know. Planning on sometime next week, I hope.

Tom

paul4886
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Does Boundary dry up by the second week of July usualy? I'd love to avoid packing along the wet suit when doing the MIA exit.

ratagonia
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Does Boundary dry up by the second week of July usualy? I'd love to avoid packing along the wet suit when doing the MIA exit.

Very hard to say. Usually - yes! This year - probably not.

Tom

bretoyce
06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Any updates on Boundary? Water flow, snow? Anyone done it?

Mark Schnupp
06-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Hey Paul,

I have a trip planned to go in there on July 17 or 18. When are you doing it? If your first, please post a conditions report. If we go first, I will do the same.

Mark

ratagonia
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Did it about June 17th. Flow was "normal", 2 cfs or so. Fun without really being rowdy. But the water was frakkin' cold, and Tom was cranky because he was cold.

Other than me being cranky, it was marvelous!

Mark Schnupp
07-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Did it about June 17th. Flow was "normal", 2 cfs or so. Fun without really being rowdy. But the water was frakkin' cold, and Tom was cranky because he was cold.

Other than me being cranky, it was marvelous!

Thanks for the update, Tom.

canyoncaver
07-08-2010, 08:00 AM
I checked the water district and they said that Kolob creek is spilling over the dam, making the Kolob Creek technical trip dangerous to impossible. What about the hiking section of Kolob that you have to do to exit Boundary? Tom, any advice? The water district said they have no way to know the cfs when water is spilling over. We were hoping to do Boundary on Sat.

Thanks in advance,

ratagonia
07-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I checked the water district and they said that Kolob creek is spilling over the dam, making the Kolob Creek technical trip dangerous to impossible. What about the hiking section of Kolob that you have to do to exit Boundary? Tom, any advice? The water district said they have no way to know the cfs when water is spilling over. We were hoping to do Boundary on Sat.

Thanks in advance,

They always say that... well, not always, but. In their professional opinion, only crazy people would hike down canyons!

The section from Boundary to MIA has no significant drops. With more waterflow, it becomes slower, but it takes a lot of water to make it dangerous. From MIA out, same applies, but the water seeps into the ground.

Of course, you should drive up to the place where the water goes under the road and see what you are getting.

Tom

Iceaxe
07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
We've done Oak and out the MIA when Kolob was blasting at about 50 CFS at the confluence of the two (spectacular sight). It made the hike from the confluence down to the MIA really slow and the one short rappel took a little work. But it was all plenty doable for experienced canyoneers.... nothing I would call death defying or anything like that.

canyoncaver
07-13-2010, 04:41 PM
As of Saturday 7/10, Boundary is flowing at somewhere around 3 cfs.