PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check in Grand Wash

asdf
05-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Friday afternoon I was hiking Grand Wash from the bottom up with some family, we were just a bend or two away from the choke point and my 3yo really started to meander around the wash. We gave him 2 or 3 minutes to get it out of this system before my sister, 6yo son, and I started hiking again. We were just a few dozen paces up the canyon when we heard a series of intense cracks, I immediately scanned the skyline around us and saw a huge slab of rock just up canyon hit the wall about 150'+ above the floor and break up into 500 pieces. A cluster bomb of sandstone rocks ranging from baseball to basketball size pounded the canyon floor a little over a hundred feet away. After we gathered our thoughts and waited for the dust to settle we hiked up to view the aftermath. A 75' section of the canyon floor was pelted with little craters each with a small pile of sand in the center. Had we been just 60 seconds further up the canyon I have a hard time believing we would have survived.
I did manage to squeeze off a few shots of the dust after the initial impact but I was using my 11mm and did some back pedaling so it seems further away then it really was.

anyways..... damn :slobber:

ststephen
05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Wow, glad you're all alright. Must've got the heart rate up!

ibenick
05-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Damn is right!

Sombeech
05-31-2010, 07:59 PM
wow :scared:

Bo_Beck
06-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Praise to your 3 year old! Seems that his meandering prevented disaster:eek2:

TreeHugger
06-01-2010, 09:48 AM
wow! that is insane. Very very lucky.... here's to stopping to smell the roses, 3 year old style!

Don
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Lucky x2; lucky to have the opportunity see it happen and lucky to not be under it. :clap:

accadacca
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
:eek2: Wow, dood. Glad you were down the trail. Hell.

paraAdams
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Holy Schnikkees! I once saw a guy fall off a cliff on Angles Landing...scared the pooo out of me.

That picture totally brought back to same stress responses. I'm sweating a little bit right now, I'm glad no one got hurt!