PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it

Spooky
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I've been recovering and rehabbing after being ill for a few years, and I think I'm ready to get back into some hiking, maybe mountain biking this summer.

Thing is, I can't really do heat. If my body temp goes up just even a degree, my muscles get Jell-O weak (green Jell-O with shredded carrots, because I'm in Utah after all) and my vision gets blurry. Anyway....it's incredibly inconvenient for a red rock desert lover. I usually put ice in my hat to stay cool, but obviously that's not going to work for all occasions.

I've prowled all over Utah before this crap happened, but most of the places I went may be inaccessible to me this year.

I could use some ideas for hikes or easy-ish mountain biking trails in southern Utah, that are either at high altitude (with cooler winds) or in canyons. Some place other than a stool at Moab Brewery, although a growler always works. :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I could use some ideas for hikes or easy-ish mountain biking trails in southern Utah, that are either at high altitude (with cooler winds) or in canyons. Some place other than a stool at Moab Brewery, although a growler always works. :2thumbs:

Zion, this weekend, a spot at Watchman, and hanging with some groovy folks. :2thumbs: Beyond that, well, I'm not sure. But it would be a great start!

Win
05-19-2010, 05:48 AM
I don't know where you live but the Cedar Breaks/Parowan area has some great hiking and it's cool all Summer. Tushar Mtn area outside Beaver is great, too.

Win

Alex
05-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Have you looked at this before? I used to use it

http://www.polarbreezebandanas.com/

Don
05-19-2010, 06:45 AM

Oh, man. It's possible I just have sensitive skin or maybe I shouldn't have tried to sleep with it on, but I had one of those cooling bandanas in Iraq and I got the worst rash from it.

And Spooky. Night hiking is the shit! It's cooler, there are less people around, and clothing becomes optional. You could, theoretically speaking of course, make it from the parking lot to the hot springs at Diamond Fork (about 2 miles) and not even bring clothes...
Plus, it can be kind of Spooky hiking at night.

accadacca
05-19-2010, 08:04 AM

I have used those too, never got a rash. I also use a cooling jacket on my motorcycle during the hot months. It works great and lasts several hours. Googling now to try and find the model I have. First search I found this site: http://store.polarsoftice.com/polarshop/pc/home.asp

Interesting. :popcorn:

accadacca
05-19-2010, 08:13 AM
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Evaporative-Cooling-Vest-with-Sleeves/dp/B000FG8T0W/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1274281803&sr=1-28

I soak it in the sink before leaving the office and then wring it out a little depending on how hot it is. If I leave it too wet, I can actually get cold in 90 degree temps. Then it goes underneath my summer riding jacket with my vents open. Work wonders... :cool2:

Alex
05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Don, leave anything wet on through the night will give you a rash and stop trying to get girls naked already :naughty::lol8::slobber:

Don
05-19-2010, 08:45 AM
...stop trying to get girls naked already :naughty::lol8::slobber:

Never gonna happen. My eventual retirement plan revolves around nude beaches and leering. :haha:

Spooky
05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know where you live but the Cedar Breaks/Parowan area has some great hiking and it's cool all Summer. Tushar Mtn area outside Beaver is great, too.

Win

You're right, that is a great area. My parents have a place in North Creek, just north of Beaver, and I've hiked all through those mountains. That's a great idea, thanks.

I haven't seen that, thanks! I do have a cooling vest that I soak in ice water, and I wear it under my t-shirt or whatever. It doesn't help as much as keeping my neck and head cool, though, so the bandanna would be great.

And hiking naked? Not after the experience of hiking down into Slickhorn Canyon, out on Cedar Mesa, and running into naked old people who were smoking pot and bathing each other. :eek2:

Thanks, guys. Ended up I had progressive MS and it really caught up with me. For about 4 years I was toast, but I'm on a new drug that seems to be working miracles. My balance and eye sight are back, legs are strong and no more vertigo. As long as I stay cool, that is. It's freaking ridiculous because I've never been fragile but hell...I guess you do what you've got to do. :roll:

Spooky
05-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Any ideas for mountain biking?

I couldn't do Slickrock this year but I could do the practice loop. That's about where I'm at in terms of ability. What I'm looking for is something without too many climbs, but rough enough to enjoy it, maybe a riverside trail?

Alex
05-20-2010, 06:27 AM
I am sure others will pitch in other trails, but I love Gemini bridges trail for newbie mountain bikers. Especially if you start from the Dead Horse side and go towards hwy 191. You'd still have a climb at the end, you can easily walk that, but the rest of the ride is all flat or down.

Sombeech
05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Any ideas for mountain biking?

I couldn't do Slickrock this year but I could do the practice loop. That's about where I'm at in terms of ability. What I'm looking for is something without too many climbs, but rough enough to enjoy it, maybe a riverside trail?

You'll want to hit St George, some great trails down there. Moab is famous and great and all, but usually has more of the brutal stuff. I consider Slickrock Trail to be brutal, no matter how many 8 year olds are on it.

You're welcome to ride with us every week up here too.

Spooky
05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I am sure others will pitch in other trails, but I love Gemini bridges trail for newbie mountain bikers. Especially if you start from the Dead Horse side and go towards hwy 191. You'd still have a climb at the end, you can easily walk that, but the rest of the ride is all flat or down.

I'll definitely check that out...sounds perfect.

You'll want to hit St George, some great trails down there. Moab is famous and great and all, but usually has more of the brutal stuff. I consider Slickrock Trail to be brutal, no matter how many 8 year olds are on it.

You're welcome to ride with us every week up here too.

I honestly thought Slickrock was easier than the Granite Quarry trail in Little Cottonwood Canyon. That trail is only 3 miles long, but it's steep as hell in a few places and a mixture of rocks, rocky dirt and deep sand. That trail used to kill me, but I could bike to the top without getting off my bike. And then kick the hackey-sack at the top to wind down. Great days. :nod:

I wonder if there are any good trails in Snow Canyon? I'm going to have to buy a book...

RedMan
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Thousand lake mountain, access it from Loa. Great trails to the top of the plateau and views of the reef are fantastic.
Always nice and cool up there.

theking648
05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
hmm. mountain biking in st. george without heat... I have that same dream everyday of my life, doesn't happen :lol8:

but if you get up early enough then hit paradise canyon, thats easy and only takes about an hour. other short ones are sidewinder, and anasazi

i've got an invite for saturday if your interested. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39333-StG-ride-barrel-roll-trail-saturday-5-22-10

Alex
05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
St George this weekend is going to be in the low 70s. Perfect weather!

theking648
05-21-2010, 10:12 AM
St George this weekend is going to be in the low 70s. Perfect weather!

:lol8: keep telling your self that, it's 80 degrees right now and its only 11am

Spooky
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Thousand lake mountain, access it from Loa. Great trails to the top of the plateau and views of the reef are fantastic.
Always nice and cool up there.

Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

hmm. mountain biking in st. george without heat... I have that same dream everyday of my life, doesn't happen :lol8:

but if you get up early enough then hit paradise canyon, thats easy and only takes about an hour. other short ones are sidewinder, and anasazi

i've got an invite for saturday if your interested. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39333-StG-ride-barrel-roll-trail-saturday-5-22-10

I should've said I was willing to bike very early in the morning or evening... :wink:

Walked up the Quarry Trail yesterday and the temps were perfect. Those biking down made me intensely jealous. One guy hit my favorite rock to get some air and I was muttering, "Bastid!" Next time, I'm biking it.

accadacca
05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Walked up the Quarry Trail yesterday and the temps were perfect. Those biking down made me intensely jealous. One guy hit my favorite rock to get some air and I was muttering, "Bastid!" Next time, I'm biking it.
We are riding it tomorrow. Maybe...

Ih8grvty
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
And hiking naked? Not after the experience of hiking down into Slickhorn Canyon, out on Cedar Mesa, and running into naked old people who were smoking pot and bathing each other. :eek2:

Two things here,
First is that it appears we have met before.

second is No matter how you feel about pot, do not discount its medical uses.
That includes MS.

http://www.empowher.com/muscular-dystrophy/content/medical-marijuana-benefits-ms-spinal-cord-patients-report

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=109018

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=4558#research

http://ms.about.com/b/2009/05/19/chemical-in-marijuana-to-slow-multiple-sclerosis.htm

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/news/20091204/marijuana-eases-spasticity-in-ms-patients

I wish you much luck, in both returning to the outdoors, and in your battle with MS.

Spooky
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
No matter how you feel about pot, do not discount its medical uses.

MS is an extremely painful disease if nothing else, and there is a lot of misinformation and harsh judgments out there. I usually don't mention it at all for those reasons, but figured all of you would understand coming back from injuries and/or rehabbing.

I'm pretty familiar with pot's medicinal uses. I hate the stuff, can't stand the high, but will use it as a last resort when prescribed narcotics haven't worked.

I sneak outside, and then creep back in because I'm paranoid and am terrified the kids are going to catch the "Just Say No!" mom with dilated pupils and a box of Apple Jacks in one hand and the other hand groping through the fridge...

Thanks for your well wishes. I've improved the last few years instead of progressing. If you met me you'd never know anything was wrong. :mrgreen:

Spooky
05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
http://ms.about.com/b/2009/05/19/chemical-in-marijuana-to-slow-multiple-sclerosis.htm

P.S. Julie Stachowiak, about.com's MS blogger, is a great friend of mine and has clear, concise, and factual info on the subject. She herself is dealing with it and is in the process of writing a book that I had the opportunity to contribute to. You chose an awesome reference. :nod:

blueeyes
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
The practice loop at Gooseberry is an easy ride. Sarah my 10 year old loves it.

Ih8grvty
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
The worst thing about pot is the social effects that come with it, and the legal penalties that fall upon those unlucky enough to get caught.
My kids know the truth about pot, they know why its illegal and how I feel about it, they also know that Dad has smoked pounds of it over his life, and that he does not approve of them using it under the current legal regulations.
They also know that Grandpa uses it currently. Moved to washington state just so he could use it legally.
He has been on pain meds for over 40 years for back, neck, stomach, and ankle surgeries.
after the last year of him moving, getting approved for medicinal use, and started using it, he has cut down his Oxy and Lori use by over half. He was supposed to be dead any day now, but currently is feeling better than he has for years and saves over 1000 dollars a month on pain meds. Still cutting down, his pain meds use, but doing well.
He hates the taste, so uses it in cooking to help cover it up. Very interesting 2 hours on the phone with him to explain how to extract what he wants to get the best effects and benifits. Making it in to home made suckers seem to be the best way for him to go. so sweet it covers up alot of the taste, and no need to even go outside when he can just pop a sucker in his mouth.
Maybe you should think about something like that if your going to use it for your MS.
Just make sure the kids do not find the sucker stash!

To me, it makes it taste like crap, ruins good food to make it with pot, it also makes brownies feel more like gum than a dense cake.
Its the only way he can stand to use it though.

I am full of information about Marijuana, anything you could care to discuss, aside from where to get it!
I am not telling anyone to break the law and go ahead and use it, I just think that if you get desperate enough to break the law and take the risks to treat yourself for serious illness, you should do so with as much information as possible. Good luck no matter what method of treatment you choose to go with.

Spooky
05-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I am not telling anyone to break the law and go ahead and use it, I just think that if you get desperate enough to break the law and take the risks to treat yourself for serious illness, you should do so with as much information as possible. Good luck no matter what method of treatment you choose to go with.

Marijuana also lowers the body's immune system, something people with auto-immune disorders really benefit from.

I'm using an immunosuppressant treatment that's not been studied beyond 2 years of use; I'm on year 4. Which I think is kind of hilarious. It's risky - 1 in 700 die from it, but I think it's worth the risk as it's reversed the worst problems I had. Just not the pain.

Believe me, I'm all over the treatments. I don't have time for this crap. :haha:

Ih8grvty
05-24-2010, 01:31 PM
While it helps substantially with the pain from injuries in my neck and head and shoulder and knee and on and on, I just am a stoner that loves the high, and has never minded the taste. :toker:

Spooky
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
The practice loop at Gooseberry is an easy ride. Sarah my 10 year old loves it.

The Gooseberry Mesa White Trail?