PDA

View Full Version : Invite tuesday 17 corner canyon

Ride On
05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Draper ride this week meet at the swimmin' hole at 6:00 rain snow or sunshine were goin. no poor excuses (acca, blueeyes, tallsteve,).

:rockon:

PunchKing
05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I will be there!

fourtycal
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm in

TreeHugger
05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
I'll make this one. Is the "swimmin' hole" the parking lot by the trail head, after you turn left after going under the bridge?

accadacca
05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll be there...

Draper Pool
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=draper+swimming+pool&fb=1&gl=us&hq=swimming+pool&hnear=draper&cid=0,0,11606129633131925293&ei=c33tS4j5EY_CsgOy7Im0Dw&ved=0CCYQnwIwAw&ll=40.491871,-111.871848&spn=0.022095,0.055747&z=15&iwloc=A

live2ride
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
I will check with my wifes schedule but want to be there. This is a trail that I have always wanted to ride. SWEET!

accadacca
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to it tomorrow. Should be a little cooler too.

TreeHugger
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Supposed to storm on and off all day...

So... at the pool NOT at the equestrian center. got it. If it's stormy, I wont be there! :-)

Ride On
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
the rain will just make it easier to ride

greyhair biker
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Enjoy the ride for me y'all!:cry1:

accadacca
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
It is clear right now, but there are still storms out west. Could be dicey, have to see.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MTX&product=N0Z&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Ride On
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
i aint scared of no rain lets go

live2ride
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
it is pouring crazyness, I even brought my bike to work, I will pass on the mud ride and assume the ride is a "wash" LOL:cry1:

fourtycal
05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Its 4:15pm, I'm on 45th south and I-15... It is a torrential downpour outside :angryfire:

Might be a wet pavement ride but I'm still in. See you youngsters there :ride:

Ride On
05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
just you and me it looks like old man

accadacca
05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Still on the fence... It is raining steady here at Thanksgiving point. I was hoping it would miss us, no luck. Unless it passes in the next hour or so. Been watching the radar. But yeah it would be a mud bog.

The good news? I just dropped some fertilizer last night... :cool2:

accadacca
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
The bulk of it should be past us by 6 PM. There are a few clouds behind it, but it might be doable. Its a show up and see type deal.

PunchKing
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
We rode, there was a muddy slog at the top once we got down into the trees it was actually pretty great. Sorry Draper but your mountain bike down hill trail sucked balls! I will be sticking the the other awesome trails up there.

My bike may be the cleanest it will be all season as I hosed it off after the ride. :lol8:

accadacca
05-19-2010, 07:58 AM
That was ugly...

Rain... :flipa:

Luce
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Selling used rear derailleur, some assembly required. Will also toss in the hanger if you have a Trek that is missing one.

PunchKing
05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry Luce, your bike had a hard time of it. I hope that muddy adventure doesn't cost you too many green backs.

fourtycal
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Memoriable ride night :haha: I need to ride that "downhill" trail when it is dry, maybe it seemed like a lot of uphill because of the weather :ne_nau:

neilether
05-19-2010, 03:39 PM
At the great risk of being flamed by the group, perhaps we should exercise a little bit more patience and wait for the trails to dry out. It's one thing to get caught unawares and ride through mud, but from the pre-ride posts, it seemed very evident that serious mud was inevitable. Riding in that kind of mud damages more than just bikes......(not the least of which is our reputations as responsible trail users).

flame on

fourtycal
05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
flame on

OK! :hair:

PunchKing
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Jesus loves the Tuesday rides, if he didn't want us to ride in the mud he wouldn't have sent the rain

TreeHugger
05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
At the great risk of being flamed by the group, perhaps we should exercise a little bit more patience and wait for the trails to dry out. It's one thing to get caught unawares and ride through mud, but from the pre-ride posts, it seemed very evident that serious mud was inevitable. Riding in that kind of mud damages more than just bikes......(not the least of which is our reputations as responsible trail users).

flame on

Sorry guys, but I agree. Mtnbkrs get a lot of (usually unwarranted) grief about how we damage and erode trails, this doesnt help. We can righteously claim that horses do more damage but when there are 3 inch bike tire ruts in a trail, we have to think twice about pointing a finger. Always good to preserve the integrity of the trails we ride on.

tallsteve
05-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry guys, but I agree. Mtnbkrs get a lot of (usually unwarranted) grief about how we damage and erode trails, this doesnt help. We can righteously claim that horses do more damage but when there are 3 inch bike tire ruts in a trail, we have to think twice about pointing a finger. Always good to preserve the integrity of the trails we ride on.

Ditto.

fourtycal
05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
I suppose bikers that have achieved a higher level of greatness than myself always just somehow know when the weather and a trail is perfect for riding. Good for you :hail2thechief: I will never be that gifted :fitz:

I can think of hundreds of GREAT rides that would have been missed had I listened to the weather forcast, and I can think of dozens of times the weather was supposed to be good and a trail assumed rideable when I had to deal with rain and mud.

I don't particularly like riding in mud, but it's so fun to clean up and good for the bike :roll:. The worst part of this trail was all rutted up by 4x4's and I'm sure will be leveled by bulldozers and development in the near future. Until then a bike tire track in the rut made by teenagers out muddin their jeeps is hardly noticable and hardly damaging, but if I somehow ruined the future of bike riding for everyone them I am sincerely sorry :angryfire:

accadacca
05-21-2010, 08:29 AM
All of the deep ruts that I have ever noticed on trails are from motorcycles or 4x4's. IMO, mountain bikes just don't do much, not that I have seen and any signs usually gets fixed by the next rain storm or general traffic. In fact, it rained so much that night that I bet it washed away any signs of our tracks on the trail, which were only 1/4" anyway. You get that much indention riding a damp trail. We will probably be riding the trail again in the next couple weeks and I am going to see if I can even find a trace. I doubt we'll find anything.

Anyway, not worth getting in a pissing match over in my opinion and I figure everyone has heard it enough from their mom or dad growing up. To each his own, but it just rubs people wrong. Live and learn. I cant remember the last time I rode in mud like that, prolly cause I don't enjoy riding in it. Like fourty said with sarcasm. PITA cleaning my bike. If I would have known it was going to be nasty, I would have drove straight home. Nuff said.

My bike is lubed and ready for next week. :clap: I hope Luce has his derailleur fixed (and for the record, his derailleur broke going through huge ruts made my 4x4's before we even got to the "trail', so he turned around and met us on top at the trucks.)

live2ride
05-21-2010, 11:08 AM
damn that looks like a good old mud mess, to bad about the bike parts getting broken, I am out of riding for at least another week, rolled the ankle and popped it playing a little b-ball...:cry1:

TreeHugger
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
OK, I'm not going to get into a pissing match either, but you guys clearly just dont get it. Its about RESPONSIBLE STEWARDSHIP FOR OUR SPORT. I understand this Utah, but even in Utah a little environmental and trail respect goes a long way. Maybe because I'm from MI, where most of the trails are in state parks, and there are always battles about trail use I'm more sensitive to this. Here's is what is always posted on the Michigan Mountain Biking Association website... for your consideration.

Your Name Isn't Mud!

Do not give yourself or other mountain bikers a bad name by riding on trails during the spring thaw. The recent warm weather may be melting the snow, but the sub-surface layers of soil are still partially frozen. Trails are critically sensitive to erosion damage at this time.
Currently, water from the melting snow is unable to sink into the soil, so trail surfaces are muddy. Tire ruts help channel this water and contribute to erosion and muddy spots that can become long-term trail damage.
A good rule of thumb is that when the earthworms begin to emerge, the ground is thawed. Please ride on pavement or gravel roads for a few more weeks while the trails properly thaw and dry out. Help us keep trails open to mountain biking by riding in an environmentally sound manner.

neilether
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately you guys have gone and tried to prove my point for me. The whole "rain or shine" ride attitude has the potential to be very bad for the already tarnished image of mountain bikers. The trail damage argument is somewhat of a moot point. I absolutely agree with you that mountain bikes in general have little capacity (under normal...even muddy....circumstances) to create lasting damage. Much less so than horses, ATVs, and 4x4s. It is the simple matter of public perception that worries me. We are lucky in Utah with trail access, but other areas (an increasing number) are losing privileges quickly. I don't want to see that happen here. Whether we like it or not, we are automatically lumped in with those other user groups until we can prove that we care about and are responsible for our trails. Somehow horses get a free pass.....go figure.

I certainly don't claim to be able to predict the weather, but riding in May is always hit and miss in Utah, and all I'm saying is that it was very clear in the ride invite that mud was very probable. It is possible to ride until you find the mud and then turn around and stick with the dry stuff. A little patience is all it takes. A couple more weeks (maybe even days!) and this will not be an issue until fall.....

tallsteve
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, what they both said!

fourtycal
05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately you guys have gone and tried to prove my point for me.

I already bowed to your greatness:hail2thechief:. I wouldn't know anything about access and other user groups since I hardly ever get out :roll: thanks for the enlightenment :whistling:

Sombeech
05-21-2010, 07:45 PM
oops, I took a wrong turn. Looking for the mountain biking forum and ended up in the Canyoneering section. :haha:

Ride On
05-21-2010, 07:48 PM
My goal is to go out and have fun road riding isn't fun even if its gravel not only that but I bet money that when I'm 40 either the trails will be fine or all the hippys will have freaked out enough to get them shut down to all. Not only that but it is true that there will be houses on this trail before they even finish all the trails that they want to build there. I am going to continue riding every tuesday rain or shine until there is a couple inches of snow on all of them.

accadacca
05-21-2010, 09:13 PM
:55 :haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDujNjULf4&feature=youtube_gdata

neilether
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I already bowed to your greatness:hail2thechief:. I wouldn't know anything about access and other user groups since I hardly ever get out :roll: thanks for the enlightenment :whistling:

Sigh.....

neilether
05-22-2010, 11:56 AM
...I am going to continue riding every tuesday rain or shine until there is a couple inches of snow on all of them.

I know.

Hopefully when you are there will be trails for your children to ride. No sarcastic response necessary because I am obviously exaggerating....to a point....

tallsteve
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
This is what happens when we don't use common sense. I discovered these on my road ride up to the summit of AF Canyon today. These signs were installed sometime this week and have been placed at every trailhead. At least the closure's apply to equestrians and moto's, too.

asdf
05-22-2010, 05:07 PM
I hear there is an awesome new bike park in Green River, WY that you guys are welcome to trash anytime it rains. :2thumbs:

All of the deep ruts that I have ever noticed on trails are from motorcycles or 4x4's. IMO, mountain bikes just don't do much, not that I have seen and any signs usually gets fixed by the next rain storm or general traffic. In fact, it rained so much that night that I bet it washed away any signs of our tracks on the trail, which were only 1/4" anyway.

For the most part you are right but maybe it just shouldn't be posted. Sometimes it just feels like you guys go out of your way to stir the pot and give this community (bogley) a bad rap. Topics like this are obviously detrimental to site, its members, and most importantly all that hard work you put into this place.

accadacca
05-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow, a whole lotta generalizations flying in this thread. Do we regulary ride in the mud? Are we generaly bad trail users? Find me some TR's of us riding in the mud (if you can find any) and I'll find 20 TR's to your 1 where we were are out enjoying the trails like anyone else on a summer evening. And Summit, am I personally responsible for everything that happens on bogley, in every thread, in every forum? Give me a break man...

Who else wants to jump on the dog pile?

asdf
05-22-2010, 07:31 PM
And Summit, am I personally responsible for everything that happens on bogley, in every thread, in every forum? Give me a break man...

Chill out... I was not trying to bag on you or imply that you need to monitor everything that posted here. I quoted your post becauase I agreed with your response more then any of the others and just added my .02

If you really want a dog pile go post a TR on utahmountainbiking.com, I am sure all the guys that put the hours into getting this trial approved by the city and volunteered their time would love to hear RideOn's "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew" attitude. If anything it would be a good read for me. :lol8:

and for the record I love riding in the mud ...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/1510817508_3dca718cda.jpg

Ride On
05-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I changed my signiture for you summit thanks for the quote