PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Conditions/suggestions for canyons to do in Zions May 20-22.

BasinCruiser
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I am planning a trip to Zion's for the weekend of May 20-22. I am looking for conditions and suggestions for canyons to do down there. My wife and I have done a few canyons there (Spry, Pine Creek, Lodge, Keyhole, and Behunin) and would like to do a couple of new ones. Does anyone know what the conditions are, specifically water levels and flow, for the following canyons, and have any suggestions or advice against the following canyons that I am looking at doing? Also, how will (could) the road construction affect our interpark travel?

1. Fat Man's Misery (Is the water flow in East Fork of Virgin too high/fast? Will road construction keep us from doing this canyon?)
2. Hidden
3. Birch Hollow (Is the water flow in Orderville too high/fast/cold to exit up canyon at the Orderville Canyon Trailhead?)
4. Ice Box

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.:2thumbs:

ratagonia
05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Here's a (shady) link that has good information, up to date, about all the canyoneering opportunities in Zions:

http://tinyurl.com/nfudww

enjoy. Tom :moses:

Brian in SLC
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Here's a (shady) link that has good information, up to date, about all the canyoneering opportunities in Zions:

Glad I clicked on that link before I busted on ya.

Way too funny.

jiveassmother
05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Fat Man's shouldn't have any problems with the East Fork flow rate and it has been free of snow/ice for some time. The construction may be an issue but I have no idea what they are planning. You could camp on the east side the night before since the construction will probably just be on the switchbacks and not the east side of the tunnel by then. Hidden had snow in it last I heard and I would expect Ice Box to have snow as well. I haven't heard anything about Birch Hollow but I know that the road is good to go. You could call the Zion Ponderosa, I think they guide in there. People have been doing Keyhole and Spry lately.

Sombeech
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey now, be nice to the noob :nono:

:haha:

ratagonia
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I am planning a trip to Zion's for the weekend of May 20-22. I am looking for conditions and suggestions for canyons to do down there. My wife and I have done a few canyons there (Spry, Pine Creek, Lodge, Keyhole, and Behunin) and would like to do a couple of new ones. Does anyone know what the conditions are, specifically water levels and flow, for the following canyons, and have any suggestions or advice against the following canyons that I am looking at doing? Also, how will (could) the road construction affect our interpark travel?

1. Fat Man's Misery (Is the water flow in East Fork of Virgin too high/fast? Will road construction keep us from doing this canyon?)
2. Hidden
3. Birch Hollow (Is the water flow in Orderville too high/fast/cold to exit up canyon at the Orderville Canyon Trailhead?)
4. Ice Box

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.:2thumbs:

OK, I've had my fun, now I'll be nice.

In Zion, with the Narrows closed, yeah, kinda limited offerings.

The North Fork Road is open all the way to Chamberlain's Ranch, so no problems there. Birch Hollow is reported to "have flow", but the third-hand account came to my ears without clarity on how much flow. The canyon does not hold water, but tends to be muddy. I think it would be a good choice, this weekend, expecting some mud n stuff. Hiking from there up to the Orderville parking lot is not challenging. (Between Engelstead and Birch is a climb that is quite challenging with flow down Orderville).

Hidden Canyon from the top could be quite good, is likely to have snow, and I guess that the snow would not present significant difficulties. If it was "flowing good" at the top, where you rap in, I would be pretty concerned. The rap in point is NOT the main flow-source, so you might want to check out the actual main flow-source before committing to it.

Fat Man's is fantastic this time of year. The East Fork has a very different (and earlier) melt out schedule than the North Fork, and is done. It was quite mild this year. Could be sunny and hot! The road repairs have been localized for 2010 to below the tunnel, thus this would not effect 8 miles away at Checkerboard Mesa.

Icebox holds snow really well. I expect it would be difficult and freezing cold, in addition to being a very long day. Not recommended.

Saw only a mild flow out of Heaps yesterday.

Subway flowing pretty good. Should be done by the 20th (but hard to say).

Tom :moses:
Behunin and Telephone are reported to be in good condition.

BasinCruiser
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks to all for the information, advice, and direction. It is greatly appreciated. :2thumbs:

I am very excited and looking forward to this trip. I will try and take lots of pics and give a trip report afterwards. :mrgreen:

remoteman45
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Birch Hollow has some snow in several spots and some flowing water but nothing to get you wet past your knees. Hiked up and out of Orderville and it was flowing but easily crossed everywhere. It was muddy tho.