PDA

View Full Version : News Boulder bans travel to Arizona

accadacca
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
9news.com - BOULDER - The city suspended all official city-sponsored travel to Arizona Wednesday in response to the state's passage of a controversial immigration bill.

Arizona's Senate Bill 1070 calls for police in that state to use "reasonable suspicion" to question and detain possible undocumented immigrants.

"The city is taking this action to demonstrate our opposition to Arizona's new public policy, signed into law April 23, to require documentation for all persons who may be suspected of being in that state without official status or approval," Boulder City Manager Jane Brautigam said. "Such a policy is contrary to Boulder's commitment to diversity and is a violation of our community's core values."

City officials say the city council asked the Human Relations Commission Tuesday night to examine the issue and make a recommendation regarding other actions that may be taken by the city, including how the city conducts business with Arizona-based organizations.

"We do not want to subject our staff to the potential of being stopped in Arizona based on their appearance - and the assumption that they may or may not be an illegal immigrant," said Patrick von Keyserling, city of Boulder communication manager.

Last week, the Denver Public School District prohibited employees from taking work-related trips to Arizona due to the state's crackdown on illegal immigration.

(KUSA-TV

Sombeech
05-06-2010, 08:34 PM
:crazy:

ilanimaka
05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I think AZ has the right idea.

BaitForTheBuzzards
05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm all for diversity. I also believe in a persons right to privacy. What I'm not for is people breaking the law. With all the border violence something has to be done. Securing the border would help solve the problem. The federal goverment has failed to do that so I can't blame Arizona for trying to solve the problem.

denaliguide
05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
i'll bet arizona can't sleep at night knowing that boulderites aren't coming. NOT! calif was threatening to boycott as well. if i were arizona, i would just send all calif. convicts in arizona prisons back to california.

ScoutColorado
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Now this is bizarre, no matter what side of the issue you are on.

SENATOR CALLS FOR BOULDER BOYCOTT: Sen. Dave Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, called for a boycott of the city of Boulder yesterday after he learned city had instituted its own Arizona boycott by suspending employee travel to the state on business. The boycott is in response to new immigration enforcement legislation recently enacted in Arizona.
Full story http://thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8358

He doesn't think that Boulder should be able to boycott someone because of their beliefs, so he is boycotting Boulder...apparently because of their beliefs.
When asked if he saw the irony in that, he said no, and he didn't understand.
:hmm2:

Scott P
05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
more boycotts

Now this is bizarre, no matter what side of the issue you are on.

SENATOR CALLS FOR BOULDER BOYCOTT: Sen. Dave Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, called for a boycott of the city of Boulder yesterday after he learned city had instituted its own Arizona boycott by suspending employee travel to the state on business. The boycott is in response to new immigration enforcement legislation recently enacted in Arizona.
Full story http://thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8358 (http://thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8358)

He doesn't think that Boulder should be able to boycott someone because of their beliefs, so he is boycotting Boulder...apparently because of their beliefs.
When asked if he saw the irony in that, he said no, and he didn't understand.

That's it. Now I'll get the city of Craig to boycott Colorado Springs for boycotting Boulder whom boycotted Arizona.

AJ
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
That's it. Now I'll get the city of Craig to boycott Colorado Springs for boycotting Boulder whom boycotted Arizona.

That would be good Scott, except there are only six people in Craig. Two of them are still frozen; so that pretty much just leaves your family, doesn't it? :haha: :lol8:

Funny stuff, all this boycotting. As for the senator; it's both funny, and a sad display of our current politicians' intellectual prowess...

Reminds me of a few funny sayings...
Sharp as a marble!
Has a six pack, but is missing the plastic thing holding it all together.
and my personal favorite:
The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead...

Scott P
05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Scott P http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?p=401366#post401366)

Originally Posted by AJ
That would be good Scott, except there are only six people in Craig.

Six is only the non-redneck population. It's just that most of the others can't fill out their census forms and for the few ones that can, Washington can't speak Redneck. How hard can it be?

LIB M R farmers = Well I be. Them are farmers.

The boycott didn't work out anyway. I suggested to to the town that we boycott Boulder and now everyone is down the street waiving signs at a rock.