PDA

View Full Version : Where to Live in the Salt Lake area...

robjenson
04-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Thought I'd ask a random question - I got a job and am moving from the east coast to the Salt Lake City area...looking for a 2-3 bedroom rental for a young family with good access to the outdoors...ideally <30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....

Anyone have a place where to live or where NOT to live?

Sombeech
04-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Living right in Salt Lake City itself might be more expensive than just around the mountain, you've got Bountiful which will only be about 15 minutes outside of downtown. Woods Cross seems nice too.

You'll be close to Mueller Park trail, but close enough to all of the Salt Lake trails too.

bountiful, ut to salt lake city, ut

DiscGo
04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Cotton Wood Heights!

brookiekiller
04-27-2010, 07:57 AM
I live in Woods Cross - it is nice except for the refinery stink that is very rare. There is a lot of train noise as well, but I don't notice it anymore. The Bountiful/Woods Cross area is a smaller town feel with the commuter rail, and we are 10 minutes from downtown. Woods Cross is cheaper to live in than Bountiful and it gets more expensive in Centerville and Farmington. The trails of Davis county are not as scenic as those in other Wasatch areas, but they are not crowded (except Mueller park).

I also lived in Cottonwood Heights for 2 years, and it is very nice, but has the feel of a big city - traffic is very much more a problem and it is a lot more metropolitan than Davis county. The commute isn't that bad as it is 20 minutes or so from downtown. It also sits near the Cottonwoods and is closer to Park City and points East of the city.

live2ride
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I live in Layton and commute to 3300 south every day in SLC, traffic is great and I have about a 35 minute commute max. You will get more for your money in Davis county Vs. closer to SLC. In layton you are close to Snowbasin, low traffic but may be a longer commute than you want.

Iceaxe
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
good access to the outdoors...

Every place in Utah has good access to the outdoors. Living on the east side puts you a little closer to the Wasatch Mountains, but the East Side is generally more expensive. The outdoors are about 15 minutes away no matter where you live.

30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....

Everything in the Salt lake Valley is less then 30 minutes from downtown.

Anyone have a place where to live

I live in Draper and I really like it a lot, but it is one of the more expensive places to live in Salt Lake. It's 15 minutes to downtown, 20 minutes to Provo, 20 minutes to Snowbird and Alta. I'd also be happy living in Cottonwood, Murray, Sandy, South Jordan, Bulfdale, Riverton, Herriman, Sugar House.

or where NOT to live?

Parts of the valley I would not be happy living in would be Rose Park, Glendale, Magna, West Valley City, Kearns.... hope that didn't offend anyone to badly.....those area's are just not my cup of tea.

Iceaxe
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
FWIW: Salt Lake is NOT the center of the LDS religion.... that honor belongs to Utah County (Lehi, American Fork, Orem, Provo). And as an outsider its good to know that things operate a little differently in Utah County then in Salt Lake or Davis County (Bountiful, Layton, Farmington, Ogden). If you are LDS you will probably never notice the subtle difference. If you are not its nice to know Utah County has more of a religious overtone to it than some of the other areas..... more stores close on Sunday, no beer sold on Sunday, many resturants don't serve alcohol, severe lack of adult entertainment, you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.

Scott Card
04-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Yo, Ice....:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:: nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

:lol8:

Jaxx
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.

I am giving Ice the e-stink eye right now as a matter of fact. That dirty scoundrel and his sinning ways!

The great think about LDS people is you can get free help moving in from the local ward.

savanna3313
04-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Cotton Wood Heights!

CottonwooD heights is a great area because it's between the two canyons (Big and Little Cottonwood) and you can get a reasonably priced home in the area. Of course, with the market SO down right now and so many repo properties, you can just about write your own ticket anywhere for a great house. I live on the east bench in Sandy on the Draper border and love it. Great valley and mountain views, but lots of snow to shovel in the wintertime!

Scott Card
04-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh, Ice.... Meetings start at 9 and 11 in the morning and 1 pm. every Sunday at most LDS chaples. No invitation needed. :haha:. Come to Mapleton and you can hear me teach about :moses::nod:

And wait just a minute... we sell beer in Utah County??? No wonder I have so many DUI clients...

Scott Card
04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Thought I'd ask a random question - I got a job and am moving from the east coast to the Salt Lake City area...looking for a 2-3 bedroom rental for a young family with good access to the outdoors...ideally <30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....

Anyone have a place where to live or where NOT to live?

Seriously, Welcome to a great place to live and raise a family. Ice has pretty well identified the areas I would probably avoid also. Lots of available and empty homes on the market right now and some pretty good deals in the new developments. South and West side of SLC would be less expensive than the Draper/Sandy area. Lots of new and nice subdivisions. Pretty good soccer clubs for the little ones too.

Iceaxe
04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
WTF - those in Utah County will know this as "What The Flip" or maybe "Why The Face"....

Hey, don't get me wrong.... there is a lot of UP side to living in Utah County, particularly if you have a young family.... I just wanted to make sure the young feller had all the facts.... because to an outsider Utah County can be a shocker.... heck, I've lived my entire life among the worthy and I still get a bit of a shock when I enter "the bubble".

TreeHugger
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I live in Cottonwood Heights and really like it here. Not too far from downtown, although sometimes I wish I were closer so I wouldnt have to take half an hour to get to a Gallivan concert or the theatre. BUT, from our house I can be ON a chairlift in 25 minutes. :-)

I dont know about the northern areas, sounds like those that live there have some inside information... all I know is that ANY time I have had to drive north from SLC it's been a parking lot around 5:30 and has added 45 minutes to whatever time it would normally take to drive that distance. You could not pay me enough to make that commute. I would DEFINITELY take the commuter trail if I lived up there or I would have to shoot myself.

Definitely cheaper cost of housing on the west side - check out Daybreak; seems to have a nice family feel to it in that area and they are developing it pretty nicely, but it's a little too far out for me.

oldno7
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Come to Mapleton and you can hear me teach about :moses::nod:

WHAT!!!!! You teach about the Emperor?? :mrgreen:

Sombeech
04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.

Uh, from others in the same bar? Just curious how they know you're not in the Sunday service unless they themselves are not in the Sunday service to give you that stink eye. :haha:

live2ride
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
you teach about santa without his hat?

Scott Card
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
WHAT!!!!! You teach about the Emperor?? :mrgreen: :lol8: Hey now there is an idea. Quote Tom Jones while teaching about Moses. Let's see. How do I incorporate helmets onto the children of Israel? Hmmmm..... I can do this...

accadacca
04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
South Jordan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Jordan,_Utah

:banana:

stefan
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
:lol8: Hey now there is an idea. Quote Tom Jones while teaching about Moses. Let's see. How do I incorporate helmets onto the children of Israel? Hmmmm..... I can do this...

protection from the plague of hail?

Skylinerider
04-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Come buy my house in Stansbury Park, I'm exactly 30 minutes from downtown SLC, and the desert is your playground. Its up for sale as of this morning.:2thumbs:

robjenson
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Awesome - thanks for the responses! We've ruled out pretty much everything west of I-15, and are looking at a place in Holladay, and also a place in Draper near I-15...looking forward to getting a seasons pass to a ski resort and going on the weekends, as well as canyoneering some more!

Ih8grvty
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Im about 25 minutes from down town, While the wasatch front is 40 minutes off, outdoors is a matter of a 5 minute walk, or a 2 minute car ride.
That includes fishing, hiking,mountain biking...With a 30 minute drive I can be rock climbing, or in salt lake, or fishing a creek, or backpacking in for a week end.
In july, with a hour and a half drive I can be in damned near any type of terrain I care to be in, caving in logan canyon, down to utah county to be stared at and whispered about,too many lakes, including strawberry to list here.
Really, in central utah, it just does not matter where you live when the only consideration is the outdoors.
BTW, I live in Tooele, while its a half hour or so, depending on traffic, to down town salt lake city, its also only 80 minutes to wendover, traveling the back way I can be in Vegas in six hours, High uintas in an hour and a half, wyoming in just over an hour, bear lake idaho (or Utah) in the same amount of time.
I deal with less, far less traffic, the standard winter aversion in the air never settles over my town, and if not for the people, and the winter, Id consider staying here my entire life. Tooele is also far cheaper to buy, but about the same for renting. for dirt bikes youd be hard pressed to find a better place than tooele, long rides on a cruiser beg for wendovers ride, 4 wheelers? how about stockton? sand mountain? the geode beds by dugway, I can make a case for living here based on the outdoors. I can do that for JUST about any town in central utah, and if you need SLC to be so close you can be there in 30 minutes or less, there are many many places here that would fill all the listed needs.

Ih8grvty
05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Come buy my house in Stansbury Park, I'm exactly 30 minutes from downtown SLC, and the desert is your playground. Its up for sale as of this morning.:2thumbs:

NO THANKS!
I lived there for about 6 years, Id rather be in Tooele. Stansbury could be nice, even used to be nice. These days I try to not even stop at the mav there.
I now know I HAVE to be someplace warm, with mountains, and preferably an ocean front, no winters ever, or atleast none that last longer than 60 days.
Any ideas on where I should move?

Me either.

Spooky
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
The great think about LDS people is you can get free help moving in from the local ward.

Plus they bring you green Jell-o with shredded carrots. And don't forget the funeral potatoes...

I'd say Murray! It's perfect here. Ten minutes from the canyons, 20 to downtown, low crime rate, beautiful area with great views, easy and quick access to I-15 and I-215, and 5 hours to Moab. The Moab part's really important.

accadacca
05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
NO THANKS!
I lived there for about 6 years, Id rather be in Tooele. Stansbury could be nice, even used to be nice. These days I try to not even stop at the mav there.
I now know I HAVE to be someplace warm, with mountains, and preferably an ocean front, no winters ever, or atleast none that last longer than 60 days.
Any ideas on where I should move?

Me either.
San Diego

Skylinerider
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
NO THANKS!

I'm just the opposite. I lived in Tooele for a year, moved to Stansbury and never looked back, I love my neighborhood, and I have great neighbors. The only reason I'm selling is to go back to school in Cedar.

Deuce
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I'd say Murray! It's perfect here. Ten minutes from the canyons, 20 to downtown, low crime rate, beautiful area with great views, easy and quick access to I-15 and I-215, and 5 hours to Moab. The Moab part's really important.

With Murray, you also get your own school district, power, police & fire.....

Spooky
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Which is cheaper and better, imo. The water is also better...it comes directly from Little Cottonwood Canyon and/or well water, if I remember correctly.

The high school offers as many college classes or more than other high schools. My son graduated with an associates and my daughter graduated with an entire year of college under her belt. Murray High School requires more credits to graduate than any school in Utah. They also charge fees for sluffing and tardiness. The kids have to work off their fines with the janitor. :twisted:

ibenick
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
As far as living IN the Salt Lake valley I like living in Cottonwood Heights. I live just south of I-215 and 2000 East. Like others have said, good access to canyons but what I really like is that I rarely have to go onto I-15 and the traffic on 215 is never bad unless there is an accident. It's great for commuting, I work in Park City and my wife works at the U of U and it takes us both roughly the same amount of time to get to work (25-35 minutes).

But with that said, if I was relocating in the area I would happily pay the extra price to live above the valley, Emigration canyon or Summit County, anywhere out of the inversion. The winter inversions are awful. My wife and I have set ourselves a deadline of 2015 to move out of SLC because I just hate to think how long term exposure to it could affect your health.