PDA

View Full Version : The Bishopric

goofball
04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
view from right Bishopric

view of The Bishopric from below

ddavis
04-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been in that country up there. It is gorgeous. I assume this are pretty recent, right? Is there still snow up there?

goofball
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I've been in that country up there. It is gorgeous. I assume this are pretty recent, right? Is there still snow up there?

yeah, from yesterday. snow in scattered patches only. took a LOT of work to get in there. very pretty tho'...

ddavis
04-19-2010, 03:41 AM
How did you get in? Were you up on the plateau?

oldno7
04-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Very nice shots.
Ditto on the route in/out?

goofball
04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
How did you get in? Were you up on the plateau?

someone else spent a lot of time and energy figuring it out, so i got to just sit back and enjoy the ride on this one. the start was at the right fork th.

ddavis
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I know that route. I have done that route in the past, going out. I have done two other routes to get in besides that one, both of which I think are easier (but still really hard), although the fire might have made the RF route easier. I don't know, since I haven't been that way since the fire.

goofball
04-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I know that route. I have done that route in the past, going out. I have done two other routes to get in besides that one, both of which I think are easier (but still really hard), although the fire might have made the RF route easier. I don't know, since I haven't been that way since the fire.

i am sure the fire made this much easier going than had it not burned. only one short, 100 yard section of semi-gross bushwhacking up a ridge. otherwise it was just 16 miles or so of off trail travel. wish there had been more time to just wander and relax around the slickrock, but my legs were pretty burned even before we summited.

very pretty back there, would love to spend a few nights base camping and exploring from phantom valley

ddavis
04-20-2010, 04:15 AM
I go up there every spring for a week in mid-May. It's a bitch getting in, but it's some of the most beautiful country I've seen. We usually spend one night in Phantom Valley, and one night not too far from where you took your pictures, with a couple of other nights in other spots. We usually time the trip for the full moon. The Bishopric glows like there's a huge party going on in the full moonlight. It's so light it's hard to sleep sometimes. Very very beautiful.

Michael
04-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Deb:

I'm familiar with the route from Phantom that goes over the pass immediately to the east of the pimple that's NE of The Hamster (to access upper Terry Wash). What is the other way you've gone in?

I ask because I'm planning to go in from Phantom in a little over a week, and the pass to the east of the pimple is pretty likely to be snowbound on the northern approach. So I'm looking for an alternative way to get into Terry. And I'll have no time to enter from Trail Canyon because my route takes me nowhere near the Right Fork TH.

Thanks in advance for the beta.

Best,
Michael

ddavis
04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm sure there will still be snow in that pass (we call those different names, but I'm sure we are talking about the same place, since there's only just the one way - the hike from the pass to upper Terry is my favorite part of the trek; I love it, especially when we hit the deer trails through the brush.), and in fact I'm counting on it for water. Do you think it's going to be so high that it prevents access? I've always thought it was harder with lower snow.

Email me sideband at dsijdavis at yahoo dot com.