PDA

View Full Version : Food Inc being show on PBS!

Jaxx
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Food Inc will be showing on PBS next Wednesday 4/21. I loved this movie and will def watch it again. I guarantee it will change the way you look at your food. Very informative.

Deathcricket
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Anyone else watch this yet? I just downloaded the torrent and watched it early. There was one farmer who I thought made really good points about his organic farm and his way of life. I really respected his input, especially the scene where he was cleaning some chickens outside and just talking away like it was no big deal. What he said made a lot of sense. They also made some good points about supporting farmers markets and local growers which I liked. What I could really do without though is the scare tactics that these huge farms are dangerous and trying to kill us. Yes there is a possibility that contaminated meat could kill people and my heart breaks for the parent who's child died. But putting more government watchdog programs in place is not the answer. If Tyson is going to lose over a billion dollars recalling meat and their image is tarnished. I trust that is enough incentive to "self police" themselves. Like the Jack-in-the-box incident all those years ago. They got screwed over soo bad by that incident it wasn't even funny and took them years and years to recover.

Then the mexican family complaining that good food was too expensive and diabetes medicine was too expensive, so ALL they eat is drive through. Victims of their finances. Give me a friggin break. I wanted to wring their flabby necks like the chickens when I saw them feeding their child that garbage constantly and sending them down the diabetes path they are on. Who would intentionally do that to their kid? Yeah it might be a little more expensive, but you can cook at home and healthy "comparable" to fast food prices. Like for instance I go to Costco and get some Tilapia $15 for 18-20 fillets. And a huge bag of rice for $13. Then with a side of green or veggies that comes to around $1.80 per meal (sometimes I have 2 fillets so $2.50). That's fish, rice and veggies! And even if it's a "little" more expensive the dude is on 2 medications at over $100 bucks each. So that is a $200 buffer they would have each month.

Anyways, I eat fast food once in awhile and I don't blame them when I put on a few pounds. I blame myself for not exercising and eating right. For an alternate counter viewpoint I recommend watching Penn and Tellers BS episode about organic foods. Here's a youtube snippet, there are a couple curse words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBKtjDtTVk&feature=related

Jaxx
04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I agree with everything you said. I have started looking into local co-ops. I think that is the way to go. If people stop buying then companies are forced to change their ways. Just like Walmart did in the movie. They started selling milk that didn't have hormones in it because that is what people wanted. I want to try some raw milk to. I heard you either love it or hate it.

Deathcricket
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh that is another great point! I was laughing so hard. The sellers are like "we hate you Walmart and would never buy from you" right to that buyer guy's face. And he is like "I will still buy from you, nothing personal, it's what my customers want" with this huge smile on his face. Hehehe almighty dollar is king.

Anyways, I forgot to say "thanks" for posting this movie man! Even though I didn't agree with half of it, I still consider it VERY worthwhile watch and enjoyed it a lot. And I did learn a lot of things and found it very informative. I recommend everyone watch more shows like this and evaluate their own viewpoint on how our food gets to us. It's a worthwhile discussion no matter what side of the fence you are on. *thumbs up*

Jaxx
04-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I was really surprised about corn and soy being one company owning the market and it being genetically modified. I had never heard that before. I have always hated high fructose corn syrup so that wasn't new. I agree that this isn't the end all movie of the food industry but it did have some good stuff in it.