PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Canyon in Zion

Scott P
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Just for fun and curiosity. What is your favorite canyon in Zion?

I know. Apples and oranges and unfortunately, the poll option only allows for 10 choices.

Wasatch
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Eye Of The Needle.

Felicia
04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Spry :clap:

...and Birch, Pine Creek, Orderville, Echo, Keyhole, Subway. :2thumbs:

I would like to do Engelstead next. :mrgreen:

(as in next year :bootyshake:)

Scott P
04-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, too bad there are only 10 choices. Could have listed Spry, Icebox, Birch, Engelstead, Fat Man's, etc.

canyoncaver
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
So far, I think I like Spry the best. Sort of like Pine Creek, but longer and better and less crowded. Sort of like Mystery, but without all the hoopla.

Iceaxe
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
the poll option only allows for 10 choices.

And you wasted one of them on Behunin?!?!? :roflol::roflol::roflol:

My Favorite Canyon
A Day in the Life of a Canyoneer
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm

Not being a smartass.... but usually the last canyon I did is my favorite....

:popcorn:

Scott Card
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Heaps.

But for groups of varying skill level, I have several favorite. I also have canyons I don't mind doing anytime. Also, who I am with makes a big difference.

But as far as my personal favorite and looking at canyon only, Heaps without question. Either way you approach Heaps, the views are spectacular, the canyon is crazy good and hard, and the final sequence of raps is breath taking to say the least. That one pushed me to my limit the first time when we did it as an overnighter. That was fun but I won't do that again. Too much stuff. And with Heaps, the intensity builds as the day goes on. Fatigue builds too. Heaps for me the first time was a true mental game.

trackrunner
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
other as in the next canyon I'm doing or last canyon I've done. There are a few places worthy of repeats that I'll always jump at. Right now I'm getting into canyons not on the permit reservation list or unknown at the backcountry desk.

Iceaxe
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Right now I'm getting into canyons not on the permit reservation list or unknown at the backcountry desk.

It's sad that the backcountry permit system has created a "secret society" in regards to canyons inside the park. I can't see how this system helps the park in any way, shape, or form in the long run....

But I certainly don't blame the Zion canyoneers.... tell the park about your new really cool canyon and next week it's on the permit list and you can't visit the route....

Pubalz
04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I would have to say Spry since i've done like 3 times but the Maze in Red Rock is a close seconded :nod:

trackrunner
04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
But I certainly don't blame the Zion canyoneers.... tell the park about your new really cool canyon and next week it's on the permit list and you can't visit the route....

Oh I agree about not telling the park about said canyons. I think it was Ram that posted if you feel obliged to get a permit, get the "Other canyon" permit. If quized provide vague details, maps says rap length X ft/m and that your permitted to have zero personality.

Iceaxe
04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Oh I agree about not telling the park about said canyons. I think it was Ram that posted if you feel obliged to get a permit, get the "Other canyon" permit. If quized provide vague details, maps says rap length X ft/m and that your permitted to have zero personality.

I don't even go that far.... I just pick up an Ordeville, Narrows or Subway hiking permit.... nod my head when they ask questions and try hard to act like a dumb tourist.... one of those permits covers anything the Rangers will be checking and are usually pretty easy to snag... Let the rangers figure out I'm using the "optional" route....

The minute you put down "other" your going to get to play an entirely new game of name that tune.... much easier just to act dumb....

trackrunner
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't even go that far.... I just pick up an Ordeville, Narrows or Subway hiking permit.... nod my head when they ask questions and try hard to act like a dumb tourist.... one of those permits covers anything the Rangers will be checking and are usually pretty easy to snag... Let the rangers figure out I'm using the "optional" route....

The minute you put down "other" your going to get to play an entirely new game of name that tune.... much easier just to act dumb....

well thank you I'll go this when doing an optional route.

Scott Card
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. :wink: If it is not on the permit system, it doesn't exist... (and let's keep it that way - in other words, zip it.) :nod: In legal terms, you have the right to remain silent..... this is a situation where the warning would apply.

scubabryan
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I would have to say Spry since i've done like 3 times but the Maze in Red Rock is a close seconded :nod:

Doing the Maze on Wednesday. They just got about four inches of snow today up there so it should make for an exciting day!

Iceaxe
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't know what you people are talking about. :wink: If it is not on the permit system, it doesn't exist... (and let's keep it that way - in other words, zip it.) :nod: In legal terms, you have the right to remain silent..... this is a situation where the warning would apply.

The problem is a lot of these "don't exist routes" exit through ranger patroled areas that do require a permit of some type....

oldno7
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
The problem is a lot of these "don't exist routes" exit through ranger patroled areas that do require a permit of some type....

Honest Mr. Ranger, we were in Orderville.......
And yes we needed 600' of rope..........

ratagonia
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Whatever you do, don't lie.

"what were you guys doing?"
"enjoying a wonderful hike in the Park"
"what CANYON were you guys doing?"
"we WERE enjoying a wonderful hike in the Park"

:moses:

jman
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM

I like the way Tom thinks...

oldno7
04-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Whaaat.... you don't use 600' of rope in the north/north fork of the upper north fork of north Orderville?:mrgreen:

sarahlizzy
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Whaaat.... you don't use 600' of rope in the north/north fork of the upper north fork of north Orderville?:mrgreen:

Even if you don't, turrible unexpected things can happen in the back country. Surely it pays to be prepared? Never know when all that rope can come in handy.

Scott Card
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Whaaat.... you don't use 600' of rope in the north/north fork of the upper north fork of north Orderville?:mrgreen:Big packs. Rearrange everyone's packs so that the big rope goes IN the pack. Then close the pack. Then.... "we WERE enjoying a wonderful hike in the Park". Problem is, we canyoneers tend to stick out like a sore thumb. We look like hobos, we have neoprene, ropes and other such stuff, and we tend to blast through the narrows many times without sticks.

Iceaxe
04-13-2010, 11:30 AM

I'll promise you one thing.... when I'm hiking out the Narrows, Orderville, Subway you will have a hard time seeing me as a canyoneer. I do my best to look like your typical dumbass tourist. All ropes and gear are tucked away in packs.

I don't flash canyoneering gear anywhere in Zion.... you are only asking to play twenty questions....

I seldom put permits in my name, only as a last resort. Permits go in the noobs name....

When visible canyoneering I try to stay very low profile.

When visible I try to be quick....

I don't flash canyoneering gear in parking lots and traiheads.

I don't wear canyoneering clothes.

I act stupid

I act innocent

I nod my head alot, I smile alot, and I say very little when questions are asked....

Hiking out the Narrows after canyoneering a side drianage... looking like your typical dumbass tourist....

taatmk
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Getting back to the orignal question...I rather like Mystery as my all around favorite Zion canyon. I have done it many times, and it never ceases to be a different experience each time; but always tortally awesome. It has a little bit of everything to it.

My second favorite is always the canyon I have planned for next...
This year that would be Englestead.

Iceaxe
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
If favorite is the Zion canyon you have done the most that would be Keyhole and/or Pine Creek for me.... just sayin'

oval
04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I love Kolob for the aesthetics and the flowing water. I love Imlay for the climbing fun.

Lots of good canyons in the park. Like someone else said, it's too bad it was limited to 10, and too bad you can only pick one :P

Bo_Beck
04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Heimlobspkepich Creek(s) is my favorite!:nod: Never really could decide, but I think I'm with Shane.....the last one I did is my favorite (in this case, Heaps), but they are all really fun. Particularly enjoyed Checkerboard Canyon (really mainly the company) but it's been a long time since that one!