PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Question

Don
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I understand that under current law I cannot carry a weapon in a National Park but I can carry on Federal land in Utah if it is managed by the Forest Service or the BLM.
I am unsure about Escalante though because it is a National Monument but administered by the BLM.
Is it legal to carry in the monument?

Udink
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
A law was just recently passed that allows guns in national parks, as long as guns are also allowed by state law:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35484383/ns/us_news-life/

You should be good to go in any national park, monument, or recreation area in Utah.

Don
04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Doesn't say anything about it in that article, in fact it says the law is in effect already but I thought the NPS was arguing for time to implement the law gradually or something?

Sombeech
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Didn't this go back and forth a few times between Bush and Obama?

Udink
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
The BLM's website is much less user-friendly, so I couldn't find anything specific to GSENM, but I found several local national parks' websites that say firearms are currently permitted within the parks pursuant to Utah gun laws:

http://www.nps.gov/care/parkmgmt/firearmslaw.htm
http://www.nps.gov/zion/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
http://www.nps.gov/cany/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
http://www.nps.gov/arch/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Don
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Well that seems pretty clear. I'm going to assume that Escalante is following federal law too. Thanks.

bruce from bryce
04-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Yup, you gotta watch out for all those criminals hiding out in the national parks. Especially the ones with only one entrance and exit. They could set up an ambush just like in the olden days.

Iceaxe
04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Yup, you gotta watch out for all those criminals hiding out in the national parks. Especially the ones with only one entrance and exit. They could set up an ambush just like in the olden days.

I've seen a lot of dangerous activity in National Parks and Recreation areas.... Number one on my highlight reel is about 20 years ago I watched a guy get stabbed and killed at Lake Powell. What did the guy do to deserve getting stabbed a dozen times? He was strolling down the beach at night and walked across some wind surfers sail.... the wind surfer grabbed a knife and attacked the poor dude while screaming "you are the last ignorant son-of-a bitch that is going to walk on my sail". It was ugly...

The most dangerous animal on the planet is man....

bruce from bryce
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
On any given weekend, Lake Powell is just a little incident like that ready to explode. Recreation means lots of fun toys and lots of beer - a bad mixture. Just avoid stepping those sails. I would say that generally other than the recreation areas, the parks are not like that.

Iceaxe
04-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I think the alcohol fueled bomb ready to explode can describe just about every crowed campground in every National Park, not just the ones in the recreation areas.

Anyhoo.... it doesn't matter much to me, I'm always armed, I prefer to have the choice of what action to take to protect myself and my family..... why take a risk you don't have to? I already know the rangers can't protect me, they can't even get a simple permit system to run smoothly....

accadacca
04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
I already know the rangers can't protect me, they can't even get a simple permit system to run smoothly....
:haha: Where is Scott Card...

DOSS
04-12-2010, 05:27 AM
I have always ignored that anyhow, if I ended up using it and got a ticket for having it on my I figured it was a good trade '1 ticket for being alive'.. the Rangers job is not to protect you it is to respond after the poo has hit the fan or to ticket you :)

Sombeech
04-12-2010, 06:55 AM
I've never been searched by a Ranger.

Iceaxe
04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I was pulled over for speeding in Zion (Kolob Road). First thing the ranger does when he walks up to the window was ask me if I had any weapons. I told him there was a 9mm under the seat.... that was pretty much the end of the story, he never asked to see the gun or anything else... he just wrote me out a warning for speeding and told me to slow down.... I bet 50% of the vehicle using the Kolob Road have a firearm in them.... all those cabin's and hunting areas outside the park that are accessed by the Kolob road.... and all them damn Utah hillbillies...

Sombeech
04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I was pulled over for speeding in Zion (Kolob Road). First thing the ranger does when he walks up to the window was ask me if I had any weapons. I told him there was a 9mm under the seat.... that was pretty much the end of the story, he never asked to see the gun or anything else... he just wrote me out a warning for speeding and told me to slow down.... I bet 50% of the vehicle using the Kolob Road have a firearm in them.... all those cabin's and hunting areas outside the park that are accessed by the Kolob road.... and all them damn Utah hillbillies...

Did he ask if you had the permit to carry?

Iceaxe
04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Did he ask if you had the permit to carry?

Nope... he just asked if I had any weapons. I did not have a concealed carry permit at the time. But the gun was being legally transported under Utah law (two actions away from firing)... but it was not legal under NP rules.....

kris
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Was that a few years ago? Current law allows you to conceal a loaded handgun in your vehicle, even without a permit.

Iceaxe
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Current law allows you to conceal a loaded handgun in your vehicle, even without a permit.

Yes and no.... depends on what you call loaded.

Utah law has always allowed you to carry a loaded firearm (bullets in the magazine) in your vehicle.... but the firearm has to be two steps away from being fired (can't have a bullet in the nose), and that is still the law for the average citizen (those without a CCP).

kris
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes and no.... depends on what you call loaded.

Utah law has always allowed you to carry a loaded firearm (bullets in the magazine) in your vehicle.... but the firearm has to be two steps away from being fired (can't have a bullet in the nose), and that is still the law for the average citizen (those without a CCP).

Actually as of last year that law has changed.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050500.htm

Under current Utah Law, anyone can conceal a fully loaded (not Utah loaded with your two step action) handgun in their vehicle, without a permit.

Also prior to the passing of this law in 2009 you were never legally permitted to carry a loaded handgun unless it was securely encased and not easily accessible.

DaveOU812
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I've found that any time I have a question about where I can and can't carry my gun, BCI is usually the best resource. I just call them and ask. If anyone has up to date info, it's gonna be them.

RugerShooter
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
The best resource I have found for any questions on Concealed Carry in Utah is http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com
Currently you CAN carry your gun in National Parks, (not any buildings in the parks), you just have to follow the laws of the State you are in. This law was passed with Obama's Credit Card bill that went through a couple months ago. Also concerning car carry anybody that can legally own a gun can carry loaded (in the chamber) with or without a permit in Utah. The only thing you have to watch is going through a School Zone if you don't have a permit (this is violating the Federal Gun Free Zone Act).

Sombeech
05-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Currently you CAN carry your gun in National Parks,.....This law was passed with Obama's Credit Card bill that went through a couple months ago.

WTF, I love all of the tagalongs on a bill that have nothing to do with each other. Like when I go to WalMart and buy some milk, and end up adding a set of jumper cables by the time I make it to check out.