PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Climbing Guide Books for St. George Area

mtthwlw
04-02-2010, 10:22 AM
What books do you have on your shelves for climbing in Southern Utah?

I'm a NOOB climber and live in Washington County. My wife and I have been starting to top-rope climb and we're looking for places to go and guide books.

The only climbing guide book we own is Classic Rock Climbs No. 01 Joshua Tree National Park, California (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Climbs-Joshua-National-California/dp/1575400294/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270228599&sr=1-2) And it's ok, but we don't live in So. Cal. anymore.

mrbrejcha
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZcaYHX1HL._SS500_.jpg

mtthwlw
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks. I'll check it out. Good for NOOBs too?

shaggy125
04-02-2010, 12:21 PM
That is THE guide for St. George, it basically covers everything and is one of the most well laid out guidebooks ever. It's really good. Now if only someone would make an equivalent to replace the old Wasatch book.

mtthwlw
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks mrbrejcha and shaggy for sharing advice. I've ordered the book.

Bo_Beck
04-02-2010, 12:42 PM
What books do you have on your shelves for climbing in Southern Utah?

I'm a NOOB climber and live in Washington County. My wife and I have been starting to top-rope climb and we're looking for places to go and guide books.

The only climbing guide book we own is Classic Rock Climbs No. 01 Joshua Tree National Park, California (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Climbs-Joshua-National-California/dp/1575400294/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270228599&sr=1-2) And it's ok, but we don't live in So. Cal. anymore.

We carry the book here at The Desert Rat. It is $32.95. Stop by. The corner of St. George Blvd and Bluff Street in the same building that houses Hurst Ace Hardware.

mtthwlw
04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
We carry the book here at The Desert Rat. It is $32.95. Stop by. The corner of St. George Blvd and Bluff Street in the same building that houses Hurst Ace Hardware.

Cool. I went by the Desert Rat today and picked up a copy. Terry B. helped me out with that and a few other things-- he was really helpful.

I'm surprised that the book is is printed with 100% color photos of the routes. The descriptions of the routes seem to be fairly specific. I'm excited to get out there and use it. Thanks. :gents:

Brian in SLC
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Now if only someone would make an equivalent to replace the old Wasatch book.

I imagine you're referring to the Ruckmans' guide?

I think part of the reason that guidebook hasn't been replaced is that it really set the bar very very high and no one has even attempted to try an update. Its daunting, to say the least.

If done in the same style as that St. George area guidebook, you'd have an LA phonebook to lug around, in the least. If an update does get done, no doubt it will take on either new routes only, or, break the canyons up into Big, Little, Ferguson, etc.

Rumor of folks working on one. We'll see.

The Handren Red Rocks guide really set a new standard methinks. That thing is pretty outstanding.

But, the Ruckmans' Wasatch guide is a mega classic too, especially given its a Falcon Press guidebook. Between the descriptions, layout, the topos, you don't really get much better.

But, I'm biased maybe, since I've spent so much time in the Wasatch saddle...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

mrbrejcha
04-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Rumor of folks working on one. We'll see.

-Brian in SLC

Hear any rumors about a Maple book? That would be rad-ass, kinda.

-Brejcha

Brian in SLC
04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Hear any rumors about a Maple book?

Rumors? Of course.

What you really want to know is, that route that was your first 13a, or 12a, etc, how downrated will it be?

Ha ha.

Give me a route name and I'll tell ya...

mrbrejcha
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Rumors? Of course.

What you really want to know is, that route that was your first 13a, or 12a, etc, how downrated will it be?

What I really want to know is how to spread out the traffic. The walls in between Pipe Dream and minimum look good.

-Brejcha

Brian in SLC
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Which wall?

Zen Garden, Upper Narrows, Craganmore, Neversweat, Damascus North and South Gate, Red Dog, Margaritaville, Haji, Coliseum...

mrbrejcha
04-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes. :)