PDA

View Full Version : Progress Capture Device

moab mark
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I posted this over on the ACA site and thought some of the Bogley followers might find this useful. I do not due this alot but when I set up a basic zip line or guided rappel I use a rapide as a PCD. Attach a rapide to your anchor and then place a bight of rope thru the rapide and put a carabiner thru the bight. I think this concept is called Plaquette? Snug it up and it will hold. Most everyone usually has a couple of rapides along so no other piece of equip is necessary. Rich made a good point that if loaded heavily when used as a haul PCD it would probably be difficult to release. But for basic PCD's it works pretty well .

Mark

ratagonia
04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I posted this over on the ACA site and thought some of the Bogley followers might find this useful. I do not due this alot but when I set up a basic zip line or guided rappel I use a rapide as a PCD. Attach a rapide to your anchor and then place a bight of rope thru the rapide and put a carabiner thru the bight. I think this concept is called Plaquette? Snug it up and it will hold. Most everyone usually has a couple of rapides along so no other piece of equip is necessary. Rich made a good point that if loaded heavily when used as a haul PCD it would probably be difficult to release. But for basic PCD's it works pretty well .

Mark

Some blah-blah-blah about make sure the rapide and the size of the rope work out and have the 'plaquette effect'. Do you put a half-twist in? or just straight?

Tom :moses:

moab mark
04-02-2010, 06:23 AM
I just put it straight thru. When loading it, it will sometimes try to turn the carabiner but if you baby sit the biner it seems to work. I have not tried it on a 8 mm rope just 9's