PDA

View Full Version : Invite Monthly New Partners Trip

qedcook
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I joined bogley in the hopes of replenishing my depleting 'canyoneering/climbing partners' list. I've had no luck with that yet so I've decided to try a monthly 'new partners' trip. On April 23rd - 25th, I'll be heading south with one or two friends. If you want to meet up (and maybe help each other out with a carpool), just let me know. Some options: Capitol Reef Canyons(ie, Burro, Cottonwood), Roost canyons, or San Rafael Canyons. I've been through almost all canyons in the Roost, most in the Swell, and none in Capitol Reef.

R
03-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Would help but I'll be in that neighborhood next week. So the same message goes for me: if anyone wants to hike with me, hollar. I'll be driving to Monticello Sunday. Hoping to hike Canyonlands in the Needles district, the loop at Natural Bridges, something or other at Capital Reef, and maybe a trail or two to high point Abajo Peak.

DWayne27
03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I also have been hoping to grow my partner list and have had no luck. Those days are right before my finals, so not a good time for me, but I would love to be able to grow that list a little bit somehow...

Don
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Cody, Josh and I are talking. That weekend might work for us. Josh wants to see Michael Franti at the U that Friday night so that might be a problem. We may have to take Monday off to stretch the weekend…
Should know more in a couple days, but I’d really like to get out that weekend.

We’ve done some North Wash & some Swell stuff. Robbers Roost and Capitol Reef are appealing because we’ve not done canyons there but NW and Swell would still be fun.
We’ve also thrown around some backpacking ideas; the Maze or Needles districts or Buckskin gulch or Coyote gulch. The recent TR from Coyote gulch really caught my interest…

xxnitsuaxx
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I think my last final is on the 22. If that's the case, I'll gladly join anyone, anywhere. I've done several Zion canyons and have been anxious to get down southeast.

mrbrejcha
03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Josh wants to see Michael Franti at the U that Friday night so that might be a problem.

Shit man, me too. Thanks for the heads up!

tfowles
03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Don't post often, just lurk but... I would want to see Micheal Franti as well, to bad I am in Vegas.

If it is an open invitation, I wouldn't mind making a trip over there. It is after my finals week and I should probably study for the national board, but what fun is that. Being outside is way more fun than sitting studying...

CarpeyBiggs
03-30-2010, 08:53 PM
sounds like we need to have a little bogley fest. i'd be happy to bring some ropes, some wetsuits, some beer, etc... just can't do it that weekend. maybe early may?

DWayne27
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Very early May? Like April 30/May 1? I'd be in if I can make it

CarpeyBiggs
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
shoot. i didn't look at a calendar very well. i am planning on being in escalante that week, probably won't be available until that saturday night, or sunday.

cachehiker
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm very nearly a total noob with only a harness, helmet, and locking carabiner but I've been considering a trip down to the San Rafael Swell in May.

I have a wedding to attend on May 8th and will register for the Salt Lake Century on May 15th if nothing else comes up by the 4th or 5th or whenever the deadline is. Beyond that, my schedule is pretty open.

I need to stick to easier canyons at this point but also come with the advantage of being able to snag a distributed campsite on a Wednesday or Thursday and hold it for a night or two until everybody else arrives on Thursday or Friday.

DWayne27
03-31-2010, 10:29 AM
If people are interested, I could do April 30 (Friday) up to maybe even May 3 or 4

qedcook
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm fine with whatever dates everyone is available for. If we schedule something in May, that also opens up the Cedar Mesa area as a possible destination.

tfowles
03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
I only have the last two weeks of April off from school. Would love to squeeze in a trip during that time if possible. Around April 29-May 2 would work, but a little earlier would be better for me. I have done a lot of Zion canyons, and some in Death Valley and the Sierra's. Stoked to get a little farther up into Utah.

Wasatch
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I might also be able to go it May.

cachehiker
04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Taking off on April 29 to play squatter at a campsite might be a trick for me due to finances. The tires on my Subaru were toast so I put some Blizzaks on late last fall. They get pretty noisy in temps above freezing and will wear out quick if I get in the habit of driving them all the way to Cedar Mesa in May. Until I get the last of the bills for this month in order, I won't know if I can swing a summer set of wheels before then without paying credit card interest.

I HATE PAYING CREDIT CARD INTEREST. :angryfire:

I'll have a pretty good idea how things are going to shape up in about 10 days.

Don
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
We are going to do something the weekend of 24-25 April. Seems likely we'll stick around to see Franti play Friday then head south and stay through Monday afternoon. Not sure what the trip will be yet; got some planning to do...

shnmcclr
04-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Im a noob canyoneer so if your doing any beginner canyons let me know. I have a few harnesses, 2 figure 8's, 2 ATCs, 10 or 12 locking biners, willing to share. I only have dynamic ropes so thats not much help and no wetsuits/drysuits or dry bags. So a beginner dry canyon would be perferable.

Don
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I still need to look into camping permits but we've been meaning to get back to the needles district in canyonlands so it looks like we're going to be backpacking in there the weekend of 24-25 April.
After Franti of course!

cachehiker
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Taking off on April 29 to play squatter at a campsite might be a trick for me due to finances.

I just finished my federal taxes. :dropmouth:

Summer wheels are officially postponed until about May 10. I'll have to stick closer to home until then.

qedcook
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Sounds like the week of April 27th - May 3st works best for most people. I'll plan on meeting up with some bogley pros on that weekend. Now we just need a destination. My personal preference would be Capitol Reef or Cedar Mesa. If the weather is still lousy, the Swell would work. If no one wants to take the reins, I'm happy to plan the destinations, but would rather receive some input.

On a side note, I have a permit to hike the Deer Creek Canyon in Grand Canyon on May 6th-8th. My two friends that were going to join me decided to go to their graduation instead, so I need a couple of partners. I've done the canyon before if that is a concern. It's awesome. Not to be missed. I have a camping permit for May 6th and 7th. Let me know.

DWayne27
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd love to hit some stuff in the roost with a group of people. Larry, Mindbender/Not Mindbender, High Spur... I dont have much experience out there but it seems like those would have a greater tendency to by dry than cedar mesa or capitol reef

Wasatch
04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I would like to hit some Roost canyons that I've not done before in May. I have beta for them. If I cannot get into them, I'm always willing to do the one's I've done before, no problem.

Wasatch
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm available 30 Apr - 2 May. The Roost or Cedar Mesa works for me. Let's get this one started.

cachehiker
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
After going through my taxes with a fine toothed comb, I managed to lower the :dropmouth: factor by $950. Still a bit of a stretch but I figure I'm back to considering anything without lots of cold water. I suppose that leaves out Cedar Mesa.

xxnitsuaxx
04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Roost!

Wasatch
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I still might be available for this one. The Roost or North Wash sounds good. (Upper Stairs, Main Butler, Horse Play, Fooling Around).

trackrunner
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
prior non canyon commitments place me in SW Utah the first weekend of May. So if anyone want to do Fat Man's let me know.

I would take the Deer Creek chance. have a few real class C under my belt. problem is the flow looks to be epic this early.

Odie_Canyon
04-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Fat Mans first weekend I May; I have to be in Zion that weekend anyway to avoid the Iron Man in St. George.

trackrunner
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Fat Mans first weekend I May; I have to be in Zion that weekend anyway to avoid the Iron Man in St. George.

cool, just checked the weather. not looking good right now. maybe a no go with the weather.

oval
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm heading down to the Roost this weekend with a few friends... gonna hit up Blue John and maybe something in the Swell the following day. I'll post up what I encounter... if the weather holds :P

tfowles
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM

I may be up for that as well. Keep me updated if you are thinking of going... (Even though the weather looks bad right now)

Wasatch
05-06-2010, 05:23 AM
So, how is this looking for anyone. Would like to head out next weekend.

qedcook
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm planning a June Monthly New Partners Trip:

Which weekend should it be?

I'd really like to go to Escalante, but that's only worth it if we can go for two or three days. If that's not possible, then the Capitol Reef canyons should work. Location will be easier to decide once the dates have been decided.

Don
05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm booked all of June. Stupid Army camp; I'd love to knock that out in winter so I don't have to waste 2 weeks (3 weekends!) of June at Camp Williams. I'll be watching for a July post in this thread...

tfowles
05-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I can make this coming weekend work (6/5-6/6). I can only do Saturday and Sunday canyons. Short notice, but I would love to get out...