PDA

View Full Version : Food Revolution TV-Show (ABC)

jman
03-27-2010, 02:02 PM
To those have seen ABC's new show, "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution", what are some of your opinions and thoughts on it? I'm hoping for honest, open dialogue.

And to those who haven't seen it, you can watch the first two episodes online at abc.com

I'll post my comments in a little while, after I finish the 2nd episode.

Although, I have to say that it's a sad state of affairs when a kids call a tomato, a potato....

blueeyes
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
He is the one the did the Naked Chef right?? I like naked chefs. Anyhoo sorry no feedback for new series I will have to check it out.

jman
03-27-2010, 02:50 PM
He is the one the did the Naked Chef right?? I like naked chefs. Anyhoo sorry no feedback for new series I will have to check it out.

naked chefs eh? That's what I do...although you have to be careful with hot oil. ha ha.

I'd think you'd like it Chere.

I agree that the guidelines for our food is a bit skewed. We add too many carbohydrates to our meals which make us fat. I'm a type 1 Diabetic and know a few things about food. One thing that I always thought was interesting is how our bodies treat breads. When we have a roll or slice of bread, our bodies treat it just like a candy bar. Nearly instant absorption and quick energy. Then, all of the preservatives in the bread - just add to the time it takes our bodies to break it down completely.

That's why we need to change our white (which is bleached) bread into whole wheat bread. It takes longer to digest the whole wheat, which in turn leads to satiety which lasts a LOT longer (being "fuller" longer). And lastly, it contains lots of fiber which leads to daily BM, which is extremely important for our internal organs and significantly reduces cancers of the organs - like colon cancer.

Jamie Oliver, which I have read about long before this TV show came out - has been inspiring to me, because he doesn't let the red-tape stop him from transforming diets.

Cirrus2000
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Did you watch his School Dinners program from England? Amazing stuff. Jamie Oliver does some really good things. Not like Gordon Ramsay, who kind of sucks...

jman
03-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Did you watch his School Dinners program from England? Amazing stuff. Jamie Oliver does some really good things. Not like Gordon Ramsay, who kind of sucks...

Yeah I have. And what's more amazing to me is the attitude differences between England and America.

Just curious, Kev - since I can't remember if you were born and raised in Canada, but if you were - in your childhood schools, what were your typical meals like?

Felicia
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I went to school for grade 4 onward in Canada. In grade 4 and 5, we carried our own lunches. I was transferred to a very small rural school for grade 6 as the busing routes were changed. The school had a primary class & grade 1 together, grade 2 & 3 together, grade 4 & 5 together, and grade 6. Being the oldest in the school and because our teacher was also the principle, and there was no janitor, the 12 of us did a lot of the work around the school. One of our tasks was to cook a hot lunch for the school everyday. It was fun! Each day was a certain entr

Udink
03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I've watched a couple of episodes of this show, and so far I found it depressing. Jamie isn't well-received at all in Huntington--those "lunch ladies" really seem to despise him--and yeah, the kids not recognizing vegetables was disturbing.

Cirrus2000
03-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Born and raised here in (suburbs of) Vancouver. But I always took my lunch to school. And lived a 3 minute walk away. I don't think I ever ate in the cafeteria, and I've repressed my entire childhood and adolescence. No idea what they served there. My wife, who was 2 years behind me at the same school, wrote a damning report in the school paper about the cafeteria. Julius Pokomandy, the cafeteria dude & Foods and Nutrition teacher, never forgave her. I just don't know what she wrote about, though I seem to recall it was more to do with hygiene than nutrition...

It will be interesting to see how things progress in this series.