PDA

View Full Version : Conditions in Little Wild Horse this weekend?

EvergreenDean
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm hoping to hike through Little Wild Horse and Bell canyons this weekend with 6 and 9 yr old kids. Does anybody know if the snow is gone and how much and water is in there now? How about Ding and Dang?

shaggy125
03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
I was in Zero G a week and a half ago. A little snow but not much. We were breaking ice on the swims but you shouldn't have to worry about swimming in LWH. I'd guess it will be good to go but I don't have any first hand info on LWH.

EvergreenDean
03-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks. I guess the smart thing to do would be to call Goblin Valley and ask them, but I rarely do the smart thing. Wish I were doing Zero G...looks like a lot of fun.

ratagonia
03-25-2010, 06:28 AM
I'm hoping to hike through Little Wild Horse and Bell canyons this weekend with 6 and 9 yr old kids. Does anybody know if the snow is gone and how much and water is in there now? How about Ding and Dang?

LWH Bell seems pretty good at NOT holding water. Ding-Dang has quite a few below-chockstone pools that DO hold water, maybe chest deep. Unlikely to be full swims, but likely to be quite a few deep wades, for just a few feet. Hard to avoid. Mostly in Dang, as I remember.

These canyons drain an area behind the reef up to McKay Flat. Seems like that has been melting out this week, so I guess they are still wet and have not yet started to dry out.

Tom :moses:

EvergreenDean
03-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks Tom. I guessing Ding and Dang may be a bit much for the kids then. Crack Canyon looks like another kid friendly one though. Any other suggestions around Goblin Valley for us with the kiddos?

By the way, half of that 600 ft spool of rope ordered yesterday is for me. Chris is my latest victim. Woohoo!

asdf
03-25-2010, 08:04 AM
I will be in the canyon early tomorrow afternoon with my kiddies (weather permitting) and if I can get an inet connection I will post the conditions. Shockingly enough... last week I was getting 3g at Chimney Rock near Coyote Gulch.

We are hitting up Crack, Fransworh, LWHC, Wild Horse Creek, Goblin Ect.

EvergreenDean
03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Awesome. Would love a report.. Where's the Coyote trip report and pics? We also had a good signal out there two weeks ago w Verizon...nothing with AT&T. Navajo Mtn has a tower. How'd your shoe choice pan out?

Iceaxe
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
[quote="Summit" if I can get an inet connection I will post the conditions.[/quote]

I can usually get cell reception at Wild Horse Window Trailhead (Temple Junction). Which is anther good adventiure near Goblin Valley for the kiddies.

Wild Horse Window
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/whw.htm

:rockon:

EvergreenDean
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Great suggestion...we're on it. Thanks dude!

asdf
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Awesome. Would love a report.. Where's the Coyote trip report and pics? We also had a good signal out there two weeks ago w Verizon...nothing with AT&T. Navajo Mtn has a tower. How'd your shoe choice pan out?

Coyote Gulch TR is here - http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20645 - Boots were the way to go... I stayed dry until day three when I went over the top on both boots at the choke point. I used my Keens for about 30min and my feet turned to ice blocks.. they were dead weight.

if I can get an inet connection I will post the conditions.

I can usually get cell reception at Wild Horse Window Trailhead (Temple Junction). Which is anther good adventure near Goblin Valley for the kiddies.

Wild Horse Window
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/whw.htm

:rockon:

This is on my bad weather "to do" list for tomorrow.

After switching to Verzion my phone seems to work in the most ridiculous places possible.

EvergreenDean
03-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Wow. Awesome pics. Jealous of your skills w the camera.

asdf
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I am guessing you found out there was very little water in LWHC and just a bit of snow.

UTJetdog
03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
FWIW, I did LWHC/Bell last year on March 7th. It had snowed a little in the morning, but we had no problem getting through with dry feet.

Alex
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Any updates on the conditions? Heading down there this weekend.