PDA

View Full Version : Bouldering Comp./ Trail Building/ Fun Trail Run/ Etc., Etc.

Bo_Beck
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Normally here at The Desert Rat we have some sort of promotion/ event on the solstice's and equinox's, but because the Red Rock Rendezvous takes place this weekend, we've decided to have our "Vernal Equinox Event" one week later! In conjunction with www.desertratpro.com, The Desert Rat has c0-sponsored an event scheduled on the 27th of March. Coffee and tidbits slated for early AM by The Bean Scene, followed by a fun Trail Run at Moes Valley, then SITLA has given us the go-ahead to establish formal trails within this premiere southern Utah bouldering valley, capped off with a bouldering comp in the afternoon with prizes, "drinks" and food being presented at The Desert Rat in the evening! Thanks to Five Ten, Black Diamond, Raw Revolution and others, this should be a fun time! Seth Giles will be presenting the Premiere showing of his new climbing DVD with climbers from all over including Dave Graham and other greats. Seth and Tyler Webb will finally have their new Moes Valley Guidebook on hand as well. If you are in St. George next weekend the 27th, hope you might stop by The Desert Rat and join in the fun! See the attached flyer for info.!

mrbrejcha
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I wonder if Stacey from the Bean Scene will show?

Bo_Beck
03-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I wonder if Stacey from the Bean Scene will show?

I'm not familiar with her, but Seth and Tyler mentioned that the Bean Scene will have coffee and treats out at Moes Valley in the AM. Just got our allottment from Zion Brewing Company. Paul is a great brewmaster and we should have enough of his liquid refreshment to satisfy some tastebuds saturday evening! Earlybird gets the worm!

Bo_Beck
03-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Normally here at The Desert Rat we have some sort of promotion/ event on the solstice's and equinox's, but because the Red Rock Rendezvous takes place this weekend, we've decided to have our "Vernal Equinox Event" one week later! In conjunction with www.desertratpro.com (http://www.desertratpro.com), The Desert Rat has c0-sponsored an event scheduled on the 27th of March. Coffee and tidbits slated for early AM by The Bean Scene, followed by a fun Trail Run at Moes Valley, then SITLA has given us the go-ahead to establish formal trails within this premiere southern Utah bouldering valley, capped off with a bouldering comp in the afternoon with prizes, "drinks" and food being presented at The Desert Rat in the evening! Thanks to Five Ten, Black Diamond, Raw Revolution and others, this should be a fun time! Seth Giles will be presenting the Premiere showing of his new climbing DVD with climbers from all over including Dave Graham and other greats. Seth and Tyler Webb will finally have their new Moes Valley Guidebook on hand as well. If you are in St. George next weekend the 27th, hope you might stop by The Desert Rat and join in the fun! See the attached flyer for info.!

Well! Thanks to all of those that participated! WOW! Where to begin? Thinking that it may be good weather (which it was) about 60-70 folks showed up and participated in the fun run, trail building and cleanup at Moes Valley. Not too sure how many actually competed in the Bouldering Comp, but I believe it was maybe about 40? Thanks for such a great turnout! The Party at The Desert Rat began at 6PM on schedule, with at least 60 party-hardy folks. The freshly brewed IPA from Zion Canyon Brewery was a hit, prizes were awarded to the top 3 competitors in 3 class divisions. Thanks to Five Ten, Zion Pizza Noodle, Big Agnes, Jetboil, The Desert Rat and many other sponsors for the awesome prizes and giveaways! Food and drink were great as always, participants from all over were welcome, and thanks to Lauren Lee, Joe Kinder, Isaac and other great climbers present for inspiration to the up and comers! Thanks Seth and Tyler for the awesome job on the new Moes Valley Guidebook, and for putting together an event that will now have to happen very soon again! Thanks to the staff at The Desert Rat for all your hard work. Dave, Pam, Zack, Kami, Brian, Lyle...you guys are the best! Others..Jerry Howard, Elaine Hurd, Maria Beck, Johnny, Jorge Visser, gosh I know I've forgotten some, but you know who you are! Thanks! And one big thanks to Jason Hurst for allowing this to all happen at The Desert Rat! Can't wait til the next one!

Cirrus2000
03-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Very cool, Bo! Sounds like a great event. Any photo albums posted anywhere? By participants or organizers?

Bo_Beck
03-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Very cool, Bo! Sounds like a great event. Any photo albums posted anywhere? By participants or organizers?

I know Elaine Hurd was taking some pictures, but struggling with a full sd card. I will probably see her tonight and hope to have some pictures of here at the Rat during the party. I also know that Tyler took pics at the comp. Will surely get some pictures soon from him. It was a really good event. I was talking with Lauren during the party and she really wants to be involved in another event here very soon. It would be great to have her come back along with Joe Kinder and others to help promote an even bigger event!:nod:

ststephen
03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow, it sounds like you organized an awesome event combining some great community building with sensible business promotions and some general fun partying. Way to go!

Bo_Beck
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
32809328083280732806328053280432803328023280132800 3279932798

Cirrus2000
03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool! Looks like quite a crowd at the store. You know what's neat? Dirtbag climbers look the same around the world! And I say that with great affection. :2thumbs:

trackrunner
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I was in Bo's store last Wednesday during the day. just as busy.

accadacca
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Awesome, looks packed! Way to go Bo! :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Cool! Looks like quite a crowd at the store. You know what's neat? Dirtbag climbers look the same around the world! And I say that with great affection. :2thumbs:

Definately, but this was a large "Bouldering" crowd, and I find a larger percentage of the younger set (maybe I'm just getting older?:lol8:). Granted there were some old timers as well. Needless to say...everyone got along really well, and even the "dirtbag" climbers let go of some pretty hard earned cash saturday night! I really look forward to the next event...not too sure what that'll be yet, but I'm sure that it'll be fun! It was really fun to see the perspectives and chat with pro-climber Joe Kinder, as well I had a fun time talking with Lauren Lee. I've known her for quite a while and she is just as pleasant as the first time I met her. I love climbers and all the friends that could make it out saturday night! Hope to get some Bogleyites at the next PARTY!

Bo_Beck
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I was in Bo's store last Wednesday during the day. just as busy.

March has been the best month for The Desert Rat so far! April 15 marks 1 year! Thanks for being a friend and keeping us company when you are down. Can't wait to get out with you and your wife....soon I hope!

Bo_Beck
03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Awesome, looks packed! Way to go Bo! :2thumbs:

Thanks Scott! One day I really want to get out with you on a hike, bike, climb or whatever again!

Felicia
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Congrats on a successful event! :clap:

I'm definitely having Desert Rat withdrawal shakes. :lol8: Let us know when the next event is planned.
:drink: