PDA

View Full Version : Zion National Park this spring/summer

Bo_Beck
03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I had a fun day in Zion today, but learned something that may or may not have been discussed or thrown out there yet? Route 9 from Canyon Junction, up the switchbacks and beyond has not had a restructure or resurface in MANY years. Guess what? This spring/summer work begins. This will affect a great many recreational opportunities. Not too sure when it all starts, but be sure to pay attention to the nps.gov/zion website to get updates.

FWIW
Bo

erial
03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Bo, So what fun stuff did you do today? jeff

Bo_Beck
03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Bo, So what fun stuff did you do today? jeff

Original plans were to go up Maloney Hill on Snowshoes and affect a (mock) rescue of a snowmobiler that had ridden over a cliff. We got to the roaring 20's (just as you top out after the Lower Left Fork TH), but the road was ice with a 2" layer of snow on top. It was very windy and brisk out, so we turned around and went to the main canyon and set up a highline over the river and used an english reeve on one evolution. Afterwards went to EOC and practiced MA systems and how to determine MA's. It was T-shirt weather in the main canyon. The river is going to start pumping pretty soon! Lots and lots of snow up high! The only Narrows trips anytime soon will be done in Kayaks. Still hoping for the R2R, but the window this spring for me is going to be pretty small!

Bo

erial
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Bo,

If you happen to launch on May 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, I can give you a ride back to your vehicle. jeff