View Full Version : Black Barbie Sold for Less Than White Barbie

DiscGo
03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Black Barbie Sold for Less Than White Barbie at Walmart Store
Walmart Says Lower Sales of Ballerina Theresa Barbie Prompted the Price Cut
By ALICE GOMSTYN
ABC NEWS Business Unit
March 9, 2010

Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

A photo first posted to the humor Web site FunnyJunk.com and later to the Latino Web site Guanabee.com shows packages of Mattel's Ballerina Barbie and Ballerina Theresa dolls hanging side by side at an unidentified store. The Theresa dolls, which feature brown skin and dark hair, are marked as being on sale at $3.00. The Barbies to the right of the Theresa dolls, meanwhile, retain their original price of $5.93. The dolls look identical aside from their color.

A Walmart spokeswoman, who could not verify the exact store shown in the photo, said that the price change on the Theresa doll was part of the chain's efforts to clear shelf space for its new spring inventory.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/black-barbie-sold-white-barbie-walmart-store/story?id=10045008

DiscGo
03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Didn't Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream Speech" cover that one day black and white Barbies would sell for the same price?

trackrunner
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
working in retail it doesn't surprise me. cutting price is one of the best, if not the best, ways to move excess inventory. when I cut prices I don't look at the item name or discription I look at the model number, inventory, & sales metrics.

Though this is an example where a consumer can become confused when you cut the price on one model type vs. the same item but different model.

DiscGo
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah absolutely. This is capitalism at work.

One product moves more than another, so you have to create a steeper discount on the slower moving product. I just think it is funny because race is such a sensitive issue.

Did you guys see the episode of the office where Toby buys the last unicorn princess doll for his daughter from Daryll?

Sombeech
03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
If black hookers are cheaper than white hookers, who gets sued?

denaliguide
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
If black hookers are cheaper than white hookers, who gets sued?

whadda ya mean "if"?

JP
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
whadda ya mean "if"?
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Now the government has to get involved and force younger girls to buy black Barbies :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
03-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I think pimp Ken is to blame.... He needs to do a better job of keeping his ho's in line......

http://www.momlogic.com/images/sugar-daddy-ken-doll-pm-thumb-270x270.jpg

savanna3313
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Geez........No protest to any of these "bigoted" comments?? :ne_nau:

:haha:

DiscGo
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
http://guanabee.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/brown-barbies-450x337.jpg

Scott P
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
It's a conspiracy.

On Amazon, the black Green Lantern is more expensive thatn the white one. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackest-Night-Action-Lantern-Stewart/dp/B0027P9V5G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268275664&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-America-Lantern-Action/dp/B001AZV832/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268275726&sr=1-5

Or so it seems........

On the other hand you have to pay shipping for the white guy. Somebody better call ABC News quick!!!!

Sombeech
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Just curious, what if they went on sale during Black History Month and the price was even cheaper? Would that be cause for celebration or anger?

JP
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Instigator :haha:

DOSS
03-11-2010, 05:18 AM

Didn't protest.. only pointed out... I figure all of these comments are past the point of stupidity and into sarcasm.. and this is the U.S. you are free to be a bigot and I have no problem with it.. its people who let their bigotry get in the way of their education about a situation that I find offensive :)

savanna3313
03-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Didn't protest.. only pointed out... I figure all of these comments are past the point of stupidity and into sarcasm.. and this is the U.S. you are free to be a bigot and I have no problem with it.. its people who let their bigotry get in the way of their education about a situation that I find offensive :)

I will preface my remark with this: I don't know you nor do I want to make an enemy of you nor anyone else on this site.

And with an afterthought and a little bit of editing.....I will leave it at that. :2thumbs:

savanna3313
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Instigator :haha:

I know......but sometimes when my work day is slow and I get bored, the devil takes control. :naughty: :haha: It was truly meant as a good-natured jab as those who know me on this site understand that I enjoy being a smart ass from time to time. :nod: