PDA

View Full Version : New Camera?

moab mark
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Need some advice on a new camera to buy. My mom has one of the older rebels that has died. She is an amateur photographer, she shoots tons of picture at grandkids sporting events both inside and out. Several things she doesn't like about her rebel is time lost while the picture is loaded to card and delay in shutter speed? (can't think of the right term) when shooting sports. She has thousands of pictures of soccer where the ball has already left their foot. :frustrated: She has to stay canon because she has a bunch of lenses. She also wants to buy the prof. 70-200 canon. So should she just buy one of the newer rebels or spend more coin?

Thanks
Mark

Jaxx
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm not really sure of the model but this one is super nice.
http://s3.envato.com/files/180579.jpg

atleast I'm good for a free thread bump

cilantro13
03-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Just got a Rebel T1i (body only). The issues you are referring to so far have been a non-issue. Shutter speed (at least with the 50mm f/1.4 prime I have been using on it) is phenomenally fast. And I haven't had a backup writing to the card.

The news HCDS cards are much faster than legacy cards or Compact Flash cards. I am using last generation (Class 6). The Class designation tells how fast the read/write speed of the card is -- you can get up to class 10 now. It also records HD video in 720p.

All things considered, if she isn't taking 30 pics a second, this camera would solve her problems. But if she is, I don't reckon spending more coin is going to significantly address these problems because there is only so much data that can be written to the card per unit time and that is generally where the bottleneck is in terms of picture speed.

asdf
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
If she is planning on picking up a canon 70-200 canon it seems obvious that she is not worried about dropping a lot coin on a body.

7D - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Pretty sure Mr.Biggs has a slightly used one for sale... unless its gone.

oldno7
03-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Also the new T2i sounds like a good camera. Many reviews are saying it is very close in features and quality to the 7D.
If I was watching $$$$$--T2i
If I wanted the best crop frame--7D
If money was no object--5DII(full frame)