PDA

View Full Version : Help Creating Custom maps for MapSource

jman
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm interested in creating some custom maps for MapSource (Garmin) and was wondering if anyone here has any tips or advice they can share.

I found a few webpages which help a bit, but they talk to intermediate to Expert GIS folks - not GIS authoring noobs (like me). I am a computer expert and can manipulate and create anything I want - and I'd like to create some custom maps for certain areas in Utah.

BTW - I know there are custom maps for Zion with 1:24000 resolution BUT I have access to a few other maps and POIs in which I'd like to add.

I'm using TerraServer, Google Earth imagery database, USGS Hydrography maps, USGS Seamless servers, and other POI databases such as Archs, Springs and Seeps, Hotsprings, cemetaries, ghost towns, caves, mines, 4x4 roads, boat marinas, etc.

I'd like to create a very customized mapset for Southern Utah with all of the above mentioned - that way, I have no need to keep switching mapsets (WHICH I DO ALL THE TIME- SO ANNOYING!)

Udink
02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
I probably can't help you on creating your own, but there are already 1:24,000 topo maps that cover the entire state of Utah with nearly all the features you describe:

http://miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html

It may be missing a couple of the features (some caves and marinas, perhaps), but it has pretty much every back road and trail I've ever been on, and even some obscure ATV and singletrack (motorcycle) routes. At the bottom of the download page, there are some links to the software that the author used to create their maps, which might just help you a bit.

I use these maps exclusively in my Garmin GPS and have never had the need to buy commercial maps. They are simply the best available, and they're free! :2thumbs:

jman
02-28-2010, 01:20 AM
really? hmm...

I'll need to check that out thanks for the link!

jman
02-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Hmm...that's not bad at all! Thanks again for the link.
I am sure that was a LOT of work to do that, as I'm reading a few more articles about map creation...

It looks like his project is dead, or on freeze or something. Last update was 2008.

This file would be a good sticky download for all those with GPSs.

If I knew how to edit his maps, and over looking his POIs and comparing it to my database - I could add over 8000+ POIs in addition to his. And these are Outdoor POIs - not city or structural. Plus, I could add in all of the official trails from the national parks in Utah. The trail ones are really cool. They are dead-on accurate. However, his national park maps need to be updated again.

Reedus
02-28-2010, 06:57 AM
WTF Udink? Why ya been holding out on us? Just got through uploading to my Garmin Colorado and have to say melikey. :nod:

asdf
02-28-2010, 10:05 AM
WTF Udink? Why ya been holding out on us? Just got through uploading to my Garmin Colorado and have to say melikey. :nod:
no joke!

denaliguide
02-28-2010, 03:55 PM

this link was posted on bogley about 2 years ago. that was the first time i saw it anyway. reedus wasn't holding out. everyone else just hasn't been paying attention. :lol8:

jman
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
2 years is a long time to remember....glad your memory is better than mine.

Too bad this creator isn't a bogley member - I could share my info with him...

denaliguide
03-01-2010, 01:38 AM
2 years is a long time to remember....glad your memory is better than mine.

Too bad this creator isn't a bogley member - I could share my info with him...

oct 13, 2009
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8098&highlight=topo+maps

april 4, 2008
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11428&highlight=topo+maps

the only reason i remember is that i was so glad to have the info for my garmin. there is just too much info on here sometimes to keep up with it all.

send him an email. i'm sure he would be interested in the extra data.

moab mark
03-01-2010, 06:28 AM
I downloaded the files but am unable to open them. What am I doing wrong? :frustrated:

uintahiker
03-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Another site that has lots of stuff is gpsfiledepot.com

You may find some more stuff on there that's good.

denaliguide
03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I downloaded the files but am unable to open them. What am I doing wrong? :frustrated:

are you trying to open them in mapsource?

nonot
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I make custom Garmin maps all the time, what do you want to know?

For Topo maps, the tough part is getting the data and processing it.

For trail maps it is really really easy.

I put some of southern Utah up here: http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

jman
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I did email him Denaliguide, but unfortunately, no reply, yet - and to be honest I don't expect one. The last update was in 2008 - with promised updates on his page (but obviously, nothing is new since then).

So I have two options now: modify his .img files and add my list of POIs and other tracks to it (which I'm not sure exactly how to do - but I'm a quick learner)

Or, start from scratch, which I'm not sure where to begin and how to process the data.

I have all the databases and important data - the tedious part is now putting everything together.

Awesome! Thank you for helping!

I have a 4GB sdcard for my GPS unit, I'd like to create a very detailed map for the entire state of Utah (ambitious, I know...). I have access to the USGS 24K maps (with even the more in-depth hydrology maps).

I have TONS (about 1000+ dirt-roads and mountainbike trails) of tracks I'd like to add. I have all of the officially named, lakes, streams, springs, and seeps in utah that'd I'd like to add. Hotsprings, caves, thousands of mine locations, thousands of arches and natural bridges locations, "abandoned" cemeteries, boat marinas, public-knowledge of dinosaur tracks and petroglyphs, boat marina and dock locations, ghost towns, airstrips, swim hole locations, public-use cabins all over Northern utah (like Adams Canyon Cabin, Web Cabin, Fernwood Cabin, etc.), canyon trailheads, over 200+ Utah waterfall locations, Utah state memorials and plaques (like in Toquerville, Zion, Wasatch Mountains, etc.), and other secret locations within state parks, significant flora POIs such as the only 4 sequoia trees in Utah (only 4) and petrified forests, and much more...

I have all of these in excel files, and word documents.

So basically I want to know is a simple (regardless of how tedious) way of stitching all of these maps together, and adding all of above POIs into it (and hopefully icons to each one too).

Don't worry I got loads of time, and I noticed on the miscjunk.com guy's website - it shows how to create a installers, and I'd like to create one when I'm done and share it with everyone.

uintahiker
03-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes! Share it with everyone!

denaliguide
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
i would like to see it as well.

nonot
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Use GPSmapedit to compile all of it into a mp file and compile it into a Garmin img map with cgpsmapper. You may want to code up a few scripts to help with converting excel data. FYI, there's a 1 GB limit (actually a little less than that due to overhead, etc.) 1GB can hold alot of data, unless you're doing very high detail topos you won't chew up that much memory.

I did email him Denaliguide, but unfortunately, no reply, yet - and to be honest I don't expect one. The last update was in 2008 - with promised updates on his page (but obviously, nothing is new since then).

So I have two options now: modify his .img files and add my list of POIs and other tracks to it (which I'm not sure exactly how to do - but I'm a quick learner)

Or, start from scratch, which I'm not sure where to begin and how to process the data.

I have all the databases and important data - the tedious part is now putting everything together.

Awesome! Thank you for helping!

I have a 4GB sdcard for my GPS unit, I'd like to create a very detailed map for the entire state of Utah (ambitious, I know...). I have access to the USGS 24K maps (with even the more in-depth hydrology maps).

I have TONS (about 1000+ dirt-roads and mountainbike trails) of tracks I'd like to add. I have all of the officially named, lakes, streams, springs, and seeps in utah that'd I'd like to add. Hotsprings, caves, thousands of mine locations, thousands of arches and natural bridges locations, "abandoned" cemeteries, boat marinas, public-knowledge of dinosaur tracks and petroglyphs, boat marina and dock locations, ghost towns, airstrips, swim hole locations, public-use cabins all over Northern utah (like Adams Canyon Cabin, Web Cabin, Fernwood Cabin, etc.), canyon trailheads, over 200+ Utah waterfall locations, Utah state memorials and plaques (like in Toquerville, Zion, Wasatch Mountains, etc.), and other secret locations within state parks, significant flora POIs such as the only 4 sequoia trees in Utah (only 4) and petrified forests, and much more...

I have all of these in excel files, and word documents.

So basically I want to know is a simple (regardless of how tedious) way of stitching all of these maps together, and adding all of above POIs into it (and hopefully icons to each one too).

Don't worry I got loads of time, and I noticed on the miscjunk.com guy's website - it shows how to create a installers, and I'd like to create one when I'm done and share it with everyone.

jman
03-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Use GPSmapedit to compile all of it into a mp file and compile it into a Garmin img map with cgpsmapper. You may want to code up a few scripts to help with converting excel data. FYI, there's a 1 GB limit (actually a little less than that due to overhead, etc.) 1GB can hold alot of data, unless you're doing very high detail topos you won't chew up that much memory.

With cgpsmapper, will the free version do all of the things I have said before?

So far, this is pretty simple actually. I thought it would be much harder. Thankfully Utah has a downloadable vector file!

Also, what do you think would be more practical to use - NED 10 or NED 30?
I would like to cram as much detail into this project as possible, so I'm thinking the 10m would be better, but then again, when I finally compile there is only a 1GB allowance. So in that case, the answer is 30m, correct?

I'm trying to understand the limitations before I dive into the deep end, only to realize at the end, that it's way too much detail or something.

Thanks again BTW!

bigred72
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't own a Garmin product...but found this link to still pull up the topo maps.

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garmin-mapsource-for-free

nonot
03-04-2010, 12:26 AM
It will do everything, yes. It sticks one POI in there that say cgpsmapper.

If you have a fast computer, use the finest detail you can get, choose your contour step size later to process it into a topo.

With cgpsmapper, will the free version do all of the things I have said before?

So far, this is pretty simple actually. I thought it would be much harder. Thankfully Utah has a downloadable vector file!

Also, what do you think would be more practical to use - NED 10 or NED 30?
I would like to cram as much detail into this project as possible, so I'm thinking the 10m would be better, but then again, when I finally compile there is only a 1GB allowance. So in that case, the answer is 30m, correct?

I'm trying to understand the limitations before I dive into the deep end, only to realize at the end, that it's way too much detail or something.

Thanks again BTW!