PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for a wife of a deployed member

snccoulter
02-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I have one of my troops that recently deployed and now his wife's speedo is having issues in here chevy trail blazer I don't mind working on older vehicles but on the newer ones not so much. It is currently sitting at 30 when the vehicle is off and then when she drives at approx 30 to 40 it jumps to 90. if you cant send me any good ideas for a fix how about a reputable shop in the Layton area that will not bilk her out of a bunch of cash they don't have.
Thanks
Steve

Sombeech
02-25-2010, 07:27 PM
his wife's speedo is having issues

It took me 5 minutes to realize you were talking about the speedometer. :lol8:

I had this issue in my jeep. I had to get under it and detach it from the transfer case. I'm not sure if the chevy is the same way, but my speedometer connected right into my transfer case (if not the transmission)... it's been about 10 years ago.

You might be able to take it out and replace it. It's possible the gears on the end aren't turning right or something. Or maybe the cable is bound. :ne_nau:

This wasn't safe by any means, but I had my Jeep up on jack stands, in gear, and my brother was on the gas and brake. :eek2: I just needed him to keep an eye on the speedometer to tell me if it was reading and if I had it connected properly.

Deathcricket
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
This happened to me on my Jetta. It would work fine at lower speeds but then jump to 120 at around 55. I was able to fix it myself. Open the hood and reach back where the speedo cable plugs into the dial. Push it firmly forward and you should hear it click back into place. Mine only took about 10 mins to fix.

:2thumbs:

theking648
02-25-2010, 11:46 PM
i don't have much experience with speedo cables, other than taking it out and putting a new one in.

make sure it is plugged in securely to the instruments panel, and/or the transmission.

the cable itself might be binding up. as it spins it's getting stuck for a second and when it finally frees itself it has all the energy stored up and spins fast (guessing)

or maybe the gears are striping (would be opposite problem though)

all else fails just replace the cable.

also lets hope it's not within the transmission itself.

fourtycal
02-26-2010, 03:31 PM
If it is a newer vehicle it will not have a speedometer cable, it will be a Variable Speed Sensor on the tailshaft of the Transmission or transfer case if equiped. Replace the sensor and it should work again. Should be a cheap and easy fix. :2thumbs: