PDA

View Full Version : The Narrows in May

bigred72
02-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I am looking to take a trip through the Narrows and was think of Memorial Day weekend (I don't have a lot of vacation left after all of the other trips I have planned) and am wondering what to do.

I want to overnight it through the narrows with a small group (10 or fewer). At least a couple of days. Maybe Saturday and Sunday (get there on Friday night.

What do you think?

I went to zionpermits, but it is only scheduled out until April....when does May become available? Do I have to sign up for the online lottery....help me out!!!

Cirrus2000
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I am looking to take a trip through the Narrows and was think of Memorial Day weekend (I don't have a lot of vacation left after all of the other trips I have planned) and am wondering what to do.

I want to overnight it through the narrows with a small group (10 or fewer). At least a couple of days. Maybe Saturday and Sunday (get there on Friday night.

What do you think?

I went to zionpermits, but it is only scheduled out until April....when does May become available? Do I have to sign up for the online lottery....help me out!!!
No, there's no lottery for the Narrows top-down. Only the Subway and Mystery have a lottery for May. You can get reservations online 3 months in advance. The latest month opens on the 5th of the month, after lotteries are run (Lotteries for May run on March 5). Now it doesn't say whether that's only for the resources that have a lottery. If it's for all (I assume so, but I've never tried being first into a calendar before) then that means sometime on March 5 it will open up. Be ready!

But the big question for this one is the flow rate of the river. Through hikes can only be done when the flow is below 120 cubic feet per second. It doesn't usually drop to that level until late May. Last year it was around the 18th, I believe - which would be great for this year's Memorial Day weekend date. The thing is, that with the snow this year, it may be later before the waters recede.

trackrunner
02-16-2010, 08:40 AM
it will all depend on how much the snow pack melts off by then

Virgin is at 166%
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=134181&nid=149

I checked the past 10 years and on average by Mid May is when the narrows opened. Some years it opened earlier and in 2005, another heavy snow year, it never opened in May (flow never really got below 1000 cfs in May that year).

I'd hope for a very warm March/April if you want to go in May.

N. Virgin river data
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=09405500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010,00095,72020

bigred72
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
What do you think about the fourth of July weekend....maybe even starting on that Friday?

BTW, thanks for all the info!!!
:2thumbs:

Scott P
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
What do you think about the fourth of July weekend....maybe even starting on that Friday?

Excellent time, especially for overnighters. Last time we did it over the 4th of July the water was warm and you can pack very light since you will only need a very thin sleeping bag. Even on an overnighter you can get away with a day pack and camping in the Narrows is far superior to camping in the campground or staying in a hotel. Early July is almost always before flash flood season too.

I would say 4th of July weekend is an excellent choice. You can get permits in advance to make sure, but when we were there 4th of July 2007, there were still plenty of campsites available.

bigred72
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Sweet, I am planning on it....I will be posting something on Bogley to see about others who want to go...

Cirrus2000
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Man, I'm going to want to come back in July! :haha: Not going to happen, though. :ne_nau:

Have a great time!

UintaSolitude
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Sweet, I am planning on it....I will be posting something on Bogley to see about others who want to go...

Looking forward to it! I may be game! By the time you work out the details I should know!