PDA

View Full Version : Jordan River

Western
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I would like to canoe the Jordan river from Utah lake to the great salt lake. . Has anyone done it? Any foreseen problems? Lets start the discussion.

DOSS
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I would like to canoe the Jordan river from Utah lake to the great salt lake. . Has anyone done it? Any foreseen problems? Lets start the discussion.

I did it back in 98 or 99.. at the time the water level was up a bit so all of the canoe ramp things were easy (have no clue what they are actually called but I think there were 3 or 4 of them at the water flow control stations they have these narrow ramps that you have to go down and hope there isn't a grocery cart at the end of it ) otherwise you have to portage around it..

other than those it was a fun trip.. when are you thinking of doing it.. I may be in to do it again.

stan.jarvis
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I've done it in segments, but don't think it can be done now. Jordan Narrows from the diversion dam down to 14400 South is unnaturally rocky - doable if you don't mind trashing your hull bottom. I had friends who skirted the worst of it in the East irrigation ditch - but that's not legal. There are a few irrigation dams to portage around between there and 2100 South, but that's where problems begin again. You can take the river channel itself down to I-215 but you run into such a labyrinth of private canals, etc. thereafter that it's about impossible to make it to the lake - especially at today's water levels. The other route is to continue on the diversion canal to I-80, through the airport then straight West to the Lake. However, since 9/11 airport security patrols part of that constantly and arrests on the spot. Its all private beyond that and since its not a natural waterway, its hard to justify access.

taranaki
06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, may as well revive an old post... did anyone end up canoeing this? We'd like to give it a shot. Can one put in at Utah Lake?

Best,
Taranaki

I've done it in segments, but don't think it can be done now. Jordan Narrows from the diversion dam down to 14400 South is unnaturally rocky - doable if you don't mind trashing your hull bottom. I had friends who skirted the worst of it in the East irrigation ditch - but that's not legal. There are a few irrigation dams to portage around between there and 2100 South, but that's where problems begin again. You can take the river channel itself down to I-215 but you run into such a labyrinth of private canals, etc. thereafter that it's about impossible to make it to the lake - especially at today's water levels. The other route is to continue on the diversion canal to I-80, through the airport then straight West to the Lake. However, since 9/11 airport security patrols part of that constantly and arrests on the spot. Its all private beyond that and since its not a natural waterway, its hard to justify access.