PDA

View Full Version : Great Basin NP

adamsco
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Anyone have experience with the handful of permitted "wild" caves within Great Basin National Park? http://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/caving.htm

I don't frequent the caving section here; is there a good local online or text resource for cave beta around Utah? ...or is it mostly unpublished?

jumar
02-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Mostly unpublished to the public. Especially cave locations are difficult to obtain. I've only done one nevada cave so far, but I have a bunch on my ever growing, never shrinking to do list. LOL
Send me an email sideband. jeff.a.baird@gmail.com

Scott P
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Snake Creek Cave is easy to find because it's marked on all the maps, so it's probably not bad to point that one out. :haha: You have to (at least in the past) crawl though animal crap to get in.

Other caves are kept more secret and probably for good reason.

It sounds like from the link that Root Cave is now closed? Maybe because the entrance is small and people might be stuck getting in? :ne_nau:

sunrise
03-11-2010, 09:45 PM
There are a lot of great wild caves in the Lehmans cave area. Just ask the rangers for the key, map and location. They will want to know your caving experience level before they give you the info.

In January we visted Snake Canyon Cave and System Keys cave. We were told that Snake was a "dry cave". However it was so wet that we had to turn back before we entered the main part of the cave due to water. We did not have a change of clothes and we had a mile to snow shoe to get back to the truck.(which was better than the 2 miles we snow shoed in to the cave, our leader was lost)

System Keys was a pretty good cave. It had some good formations and a beautiful little water fall that empted into a rock basin and then drained out the side.
It was so cold inside the cave that ice cicles had formed on stalacutes!

In the spring & summer the caves are easily accessible, and you can almost drive up to the entrance of System Keys.

DWayne27
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I just glanced through the other thread about cave closures. Seems like Colorado will be the hardest hit? Anything in the Lehman Cave area on the chopping block? We just had a weekend open up and need to come up with some good plans. I have never been that direction at all, and only been in a few caves. We were thinking about checking out Lehman Caves and anything else in the area that isnt too demanding or technical (pregnant wife). The System Keys sound cool - mostly looking for a chance to get good pictures....

Is there anything else in Great Basin NP that is worth checking out?