PDA

View Full Version : Moments of solitude on the road

Sombeech
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Driving up the interstate this morning on the way to my Dentist, I feel this contemplation mode come over me. Reflecting, looking at the snow covered mountains, thinking of how life goes by faster and faster, seasons changing constantly.

I turn off the stereo, the silence is welcome, it increases the solitude. Traffic is sparse as the work day has already begun.

I think of how nice it would be to just take a vacation, just driving up north through some unfamiliar routes filled with rugged beauty as I take the scenery in.

I wonder what it

Deathcricket
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
[quote=Sombeech]
I wonder what it

BruteForce
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I can only experience that level of solitude and reflection when I'm out of cell phone range. Unfortunately, even some of the remotest locations are now accessible via cell phone.

Even when I turn off the radio, my truck integrated blue tooth cell will kick in and the phone will continue to ring.

Unfortunately, I'm in one of those positions that requires that I almost always be accessible. ( via phone or email)

Even when I'm remote, I'm obligated to have my SPOT on and my GPSr coordinates available so various entities can track me down if necessary.

Its brief vacations (like next week) where I can escape beyond cell / email range that allow me to disconnect and reflect on life.

ststephen
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
[quote=Sombeech]Driving up the interstate this morning on the way to my Dentist, I feel this contemplation mode come over me. Reflecting, looking at the snow covered mountains, thinking of how life goes by faster and faster, seasons changing constantly.

I see the valley to the west containing the uninhabited Great Salt Lake and it

Sombeech
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Luckily he let me off with a warning. Sometimes I think carrying the Concealed Weapons permit is a plus. I was going 86 in a 75.

I also got lucky at the dentist. My molar had broke and I was expecting a Crown, but left with only a filling. :mrgreen:

Felicia
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Great post Beech- Thanks!

I LOVE being in the car and on the open road. :2thumbs: I have been very fortunate in my life to have taken many trips.

I can't wait to get back out there!

:rockon:

R
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
As we were pulling into the driveway after our last trip together out west, Abby said, "I want to run away with you again."

We love the road.

Sombeech
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I do like long drives alone, with no traffic. Maybe an audio book once in a while, but most of the time not.

I like driving north, because I'm so familiar with I-15 south, I like the interstate that I'm not totally familiar with. Idaho seems nice to drive through alone because traffic is nothing. New territories, new perspectives on life.

A conversation with a friend just isn't the same experience.

I took my boy up to Idaho to the City of Rocks last year, that was nice. I wasn't alone, but the "depth of conversation" with a 3 year old wasn't involved so much that it distracted from the experience. It was nice to point out the landscape and get the excitement from it.

greyhair biker
02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
speeding ticket. Sure you werent in wyoming? :lol8: I tend to like to check out a book on CD when I hit the road. Makes the time fly by and keeps me awake. This trip down I picked up a Tim Dorsey book on cd - should be a good drive.

Randi
02-03-2010, 10:09 AM
[quote=Sombeech]Driving up the interstate this morning on the way to my Dentist, I feel this contemplation mode come over me. Reflecting, looking at the snow covered mountains, thinking of how life goes by faster and faster, seasons changing constantly.

I turn off the stereo, the silence is welcome, it increases the solitude. Traffic is sparse as the work day has already begun.

I think of how nice it would be to just take a vacation, just driving up north through some unfamiliar routes filled with rugged beauty as I take the scenery in.

I wonder what it

savanna3313
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
My sister (who is 1 yr older than I am) and I drove from SLC down to New Orleans over the weekend. Not total solitude, but fun sharing the time with someone who knows your past because they lived it with you. Good talks - sharing with someone who loves you unconditionally - plus someone who thankfully is a morning person like me. :haha: We had taken a trip to Sedona the week before and I just wasn't ready to get back to the routine of life, so I drove with her back to her home in New Orleans......just in time for Mardi Gras. What a coincidence! :2thumbs: