PDA

View Full Version : First elk

double moo
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Dropped my first elk last week on Sunday 1/24/10. Cow only mitigation permit. Spotting a group of 5 elk on the hills above Oakley we started our 2-1/2 hour snowshoe trek up the next canyon and over the ridge back onto the west facing slopes where we found ourselves way too late for the group of elk - they had already moved along! We continued South along the ridge line for another 1/4 mile in 30+ inch deep powder - even in our snowshoes we were sinking 12"+. We found a large herd and worked our way down the hill. In order to get more stealthy we had to ditch the snowshoes for the last 150 yds. Finally this cow wandered into view at 70 yards. A little more creep on our part waiting for a clearer shot - and some uphill creep on hers and I settled on a 60 yd shot. She stood up and sauntered about 3-5 yards - I thought I had a bad shot so I jacked another round into the chamber. She collapsed before I could get her back into the sites. Then another 2 hours to drag the quartered out pieces down the mountain on a game sled.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/doublemoo1/downsized950124001230.jpg

Totally wasted by the time we got it all back to the truck.

Deathcricket
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
So uhhhh..... When am I coming over for dinner?

:slobber1:

Edit: wait wait... Missed that last sentence. Totally wasted by the time you got back to the truck? Spoiled that quick????? In snow? No way!

Glockguy
02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Well done. Go cook up some loin!

accadacca
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweet! I'll take anything you'll offer. :lol8:

Stillhunter
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Way to go, what sled did you use to haul it out with. We have the best result with the Game Sled. Can't wait, looking forward to our first elk hunt, hopefully this year, :2thumbs:

double moo
02-03-2010, 05:44 AM
We used some black plastic roll up type sled that my brother-in-law had brought. It didn't last the whole way down! The tie down tabs tore off the body and we had to re-tie the load to make it work out. I'll be looking for a better one for next year.

The Game Sled is what I have seen on the shows... probably what I'll get.

Stillhunter
02-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I have heard that happening so often with the plastic unit. The Game Sled is designed to encapsulate whole animals and or Quartered game, and remains flexible to -40 degrees. This allows the unit to pass over any feild enviormant. Again great job on your first elk, and hope you get a chance to go for a bull.
check out www.gamesled.com