PDA

View Full Version : H.B. 91, Traffic Control Signs for Bicycles

moabfool
02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Bogleyites, there is a bill in the Utah House of Representatives that would ease the requirements of cyclists when it comes to stop signs and red lights. Read the bill (it's pretty short and an easy read). If you find that it's something you support please write the bill's sponsor Carol Moss (csmoss@utah.gov) and your representative in support of this bill. Please write today (Feb 1). There is a hearing on this bill tomorrow.

If you don't support this bill you suck :frustrated:

http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hb0091.pdf

I wrote Rep. Moss about the possiblity of letting cyclists pass a line of cars at a red light, but she said that hurdle was too high to take in one shot.

Don
02-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Just sent this to Rep Moss and Rep Dougall (I'm in district 27).

Rep. Moss,
I recently read House Bill 91 regarding bicycle traffic law and was pleased to see common sense appears to be a key factor in this law. I support this and hope to see it incorporated into future lawmaking!
Don Ferguson
District 27

Sombeech
02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Dang, I've got too short of attention span to read that much.

Is the bill supporting a cyclist coming up to the front of the line at a red light? If so, I'd support that.

moabfool
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Dang, I've got too short of attention span to read that much.

Is the bill supporting a cyclist coming up to the front of the line at a red light? If so, I'd support that.

Here's H.B. 91 in a nutshell:
1-Cyclists can ride through stop signs if they
*Yield the right-of-way to opposing traffic
*Slow down to see if the intersection is clear
Basically a STOP sign will become a YIELD sign for cyclists.

2-Cyclists can ride through a red light if they
*Yield the right-of-way to opposing traffic
*Come to a complete stop before proceeding
Basically a red light becomes a STOP sign.

3-Cyclists don't have to stop for a red light if they
*Are turning right
*Yield to opposing traffic

I asked Rep Moss if they could add a provision that allowed cyclists to legally pass a line of cars so they're at the front of the line. She told me she wasn't going to try for that this time around, and that she was grateful for whatever support she could get for the measure. Moabfool's translation: We'll be lucky to get this much so we shouldn't push our luck. Baby steps.

Of course there's give-and-take. Other key components of the measure would include:
* If a cyclist is slower than the natural flow of traffic they'll have to stay as far right as safely possible unless they're turning left. You'll still be able to hog the whole lane if a car can't safely pass.
* Cyclists may ride two abreast (present law), but in doing so they may not impede the flow of traffic.

There's more, but that's the basic idea. As a cyclist and as a motorist I think it's well thought out and makes good sense.

neilether
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Contact Info. for Sen. Moss please.......?

neilether
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Representative Moss: csmoss@utah.gov

I just sent my email. I would encourage all you cyclists (and friends of cyclists) to also send along an email. This would be a victory for cyclists and would incorporate bicycle specific laws in the Utah traffic code that were successfully implemented in Idaho quite a few years ago.

You can look up your local representative here:

http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/index.htm

trackrunner
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM

not a Sen a Rep
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Carol+Spackman+Moss+&l=1

Having worked in the legislature, trust me contacting YOUR Rep. is best. Contacting Rep. Carol Spackman Moss is not the best unless you

trackrunner
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
When contacting your representative, start off by proving you are in his/her district. Pissing off your constituents by not voting their way is someone that won

trackrunner
02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
http://le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?Year=2010&Com=HSTTRA

It appears to be assigned to House Transportation committee. The hearing is 2:00 PM tomorrow in room 450 (fourth floor) of the capital. If you can make it show up in support. When they notice a large crowd in favor of something they take notice. Especially in a building with concealed/open carry policy.

Encourage the following committee members to send this bill to a floor vote:

Rep. Bradley M. Daw, Chair
Rep. Julie Fisher, Vice Chair

Rep. Johnny Anderson
Rep. Stephen D. Clark
Rep. Tim M. Cosgrove
Rep. Janice M. Fisher

Rep. Wayne A. Harper
Rep. Lynn N. Hemingway
Rep. Bradley G. Last
Rep. Steven R. Mascaro

Rep. Ronda Rudd Menlove
Rep. Michael T. Morley
Rep. F. Jay Seegmiller
Rep. C. Brent Wallis

kkemp
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't ride a road bike and my kids are grown, so the outcome of this doesn't really affect me, but do you really think this is a good idea, especially for kids. I've had my daughter hit by are car at an intersection because she didn't notice that some guy was about to make a right turn. She was OK, just sore, and the guy got ticketed. It was pretty scary when I got a call from the fire department that my kid was hit by a car. So I guess I'm not convinced this is a good idea.

Sombeech
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I don't see it passing (no matter what the "people" want).

There's the other issue of the red light. Say the cyclist can treat it as a stop sign, but what if he's 2 cars back? He'll have to just stop and wait anyways.

I see a bunch of weird loopholes opening up on this one.

I'm more of a mtn biker than a cyclist, but I do ride the road from time to time. These kind of things would be nice, but I just don't see it happening.

Iceaxe
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Rolling stop sign's is not a great idea if safety is your concern.... yes, I understand why you want to do it... but I also used to know a couple motorcycle riders ("used to know" because they are now dead) that thought rolling stop signs was a great idea (they did it for the same reason bicycle riders want to roll them).

:popcorn:

moabfool
02-01-2010, 01:46 PM
(they did it for the same reason bicycle riders want to roll them).

:popcorn:

:ride: Because they have such a hard time pedaling their motorcycle from a stop? :ne_nau:

A marginally decent motorcyclist shouldn't have a problem putting a foot down when they stop. Cyclists (bicycle) have to unclip, put a foot down, find their clip again, and pedal with their legs. It takes so much more effort than pulling up with your left toe and turning your wrist.

moabfool
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM

The link didn't take. The e-mail addy was there, but it was kinda buried in the paragraph.

Iceaxe
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
:ride: Because they have such a hard time pedaling their motorcycle from a stop? :ne_nau:

A marginally decent motorcyclist shouldn't have a problem putting a foot down when they stop. Cyclists (bicycle) have to unclip, put a foot down, find their clip again, and pedal with their legs. It takes so much more effort than pulling up with your left toe and turning your wrist.

Downshifting through 6 gears in a sequential gear box.... all the time coordinating activating the clutch at the correct moment with the left hand while braking with the right foot and right hand..... put a foot down and hold up a 300 pound machine... disengage clutch, accelerate by twisting wrist, shift up a gear using the left foot and the exact instant you engage clutch....

See that.... you can make anything sound complicated if you try hard.... there is a reason we teach kids to ride bicycles before minibikes.... bicycles are easier....

Anyhoo.... my original point stands.... allowing anyone to roll a stop sign is dangerous and a bad precedent to establish.....

As a bicycle rider I'd love to roll stop signs... and I usually do... but from a safety stand point its a bad practice....

And for your enjoyment here is a picture of Ice racing his big boy 2-wheeler bicycle.... I clipped my toes in all by myself. :haha:

double moo
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Sorry I just can't support this one. Us cyclists have a hard enough time getting cage drivers to extend to us the same rules and rights of the road that vehicles have. Something many of us lobbied and fought for back in '85-'86. Problem is that many drivers don't want us on the road regardless of the laws. Extending "special" road use laws to cyclists would create resentment - for those drivers who would actually realize that there is a law.

Cyclists already do these things at their own peril, and piss off motorists in the process. Why make it legal to do something this risky? And how many of you have actually been pulled over and ticketed for doing this anyway?

Let's focus on getting motorists to give us the rights we have already won... and the police to enforce them.

trackrunner
02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
As a bicycle rider I'd love to roll stop signs... and I usually do... but from a safety stand point its a bad practice....

I have to agree with this one. It's a part I didn't agree with. Maybe don't require a complete stop for 3 seconds but at least a stop of forward movement. I usually did this and was still able to keep my feet clipped before making sure the cost is clear. I sometimes use to just yeild until I almost got hit when there was a car in my blind spot. Went to the stop of forward movement

Another part I didn't agree with was running a red light. Don

denaliguide
02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
bad idea all around. if you want to share the road with cars then follow the same rules. as for riding two abreast, dumbest idea i have heard in ages.

i don't support this bill so i guess i suck. happily. :bootyshake:

Sombeech
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
This is kind of a side topic, but the building of bike lanes is a decent idea, but the majority of bike/auto accidents happen in the intersection, where there is no bike lane. So bike lanes cost money, but they really don't prove to help the cyclists stay safe.

So back to the intersection where most of the incidents occur, as a (sometimes) cyclist, I think I see more accidents happen if bikes can roll through stop signs.

The problem is, even if it's a law, the motorists will have even more aggravation against cyclists when they see they aren't as restricted as the cars, even if it's out of ignorance.

When I'm riding on the road, I've got that notion that motorists see me as intruding on their road, and almost every ride there's somebody with a lack of respect as they're passing. I'm afraid this bill would only increase that animosity.

moab mark
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
bad idea all around. if you want to share the road with cars then follow the same rules. as for riding two abreast, dumbest idea i have heard in ages.

I've got to agree with this I have rode lotoja twice and in the process of training for these races I can not tell you how many close calls I had. Relaxing the law is not a good idea. If you want to roll signs etc. that's your call but we should have to follow the same laws as cars. It's to bad but I have pretty much quit riding a road bike. Of all the activities I do this is by the far the most risky. If you ride enough in traffic especially in Salt Lake your asking for an e ticket ride across the hood of a car. The last thing we need is to be able to take more risks legally. :nono:

dbaxter
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Guess I have to agree. Have cycled in Oregon and the people seem much more bicycle friendly. Don't think the people in UT are quite caught up to those in other states as far as most things go. So don't think UT is quite ready to progress :ne_nau: Maybe some day. IMHO

moab mark
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Guess I have to agree. Have cycled in Oregon and the people seem much more bicycle friendly. Don't think the people in UT are quite caught up to those in other states as far as most things go. So don't think UT is quite ready to progress :ne_nau: Maybe some day. IMHO
Ever rode in So. Cal? Now that is suicide.

Sombeech
02-01-2010, 06:53 PM

DRIVING is bad enough.

moabfool
02-02-2010, 07:06 AM

DRIVING is bad enough.

I learned how to ride on the road and how to drive in NYC. Compared to that, southern CA is a piece of cake. I love driving about anywhere in CA. It's so much easier and friendlier than around here.

The east side of SLC is extremely bike friendly, the west side is suicide. There's some decent riding up north in the Bountiful to Layton area, but western Davis County, out in the farms (where the latest crop is too much house on too little land), it's crazy.

Despite all the opposition I still support this bill. It's what most cyclists do already. I can't see how keeping the man off my back for something I do anyway can hurt.

moab mark
02-02-2010, 07:15 AM

DRIVING is bad enough.

Despite all the opposition I still support this bill. It's what most cyclists do already. I can't see how keeping the man off my back for something I do anyway can hurt.

Has anyone following this been stopped for not following proper traffic/bike laws?

Sombeech
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Looks like it's not going through:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9554058

Sombeech
02-03-2010, 06:49 AM
LOL @ comments on KSL

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9554058&comments=true

"Since when does our lawmakers "put into statute what a lot of bikers do in practice anyway"? Or for that matter what other "criminals" do in practice anyway. My neighbor is growing pot in his basement, perhaps we should send it to the legislature for review since he's 'doing it anyway'. "

moabfool
02-03-2010, 09:09 AM
LOL @ comments on KSL

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9554058&comments=true

"Since when does our lawmakers "put into statute what a lot of bikers do in practice anyway"? Or for that matter what other "criminals" do in practice anyway. My neighbor is growing pot in his basement, perhaps we should send it to the legislature for review since he's 'doing it anyway'. "

Looks like somebody has been sampling the goods.

Sombeech
02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
:roflol:

Iceaxe
02-03-2010, 09:26 AM
When they start correcting each others spelling and grammer you know the best part of the flame fest is over....

:bootyshake:

Sombeech
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like it failed to pass by 1 vote.