PDA

View Full Version : KTM's

moab mark
01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I've been cruising the KTMtalk site, what gives these bikes the almost cult following? These guys sure seem to love their orange. Are they really that much better?

Mark

nelsonccc
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I dont think so. We went to the Pauite Trail last fall with a father & son combo from vegas. They brought their KTM's.

Saturday - The fathers KTM's water pump failed on the trail from Circleville into Antimony (not very steep or hard) and thus the bike overheated. He limped back into town and since his son didnt want to ride without him he went back to. they spent all day driving into richfield and getting it fixed.

Sunday - we leave on the beaver loop trail out of circleville into Beaver. On the 68 back to circleville out of Beaver the son's KTM breaks its rear axle. I've never seen a broken axle on a dirt bike before. The trail is rough but not that rough. We jury rigged it so he could get back to beaver. They got super lucky and the shop was working on a KTM that wasnt due to the owner for a week so they gave him the axle off of that bike.

Keep in mind that we go to the Pauite Trail once a month every summer, We've been there with our yamaha's and kawasaki's probably 20-25 times. Neither one of us has ever had a problem other than running out of gas and flats.

Now, for whatever reason KTM's are very popular in vegas. I believe its because they are a desert racing bike. They look like nice bikes and I see a ton of them out every weekend. But I've been so happy with my Yamaha YZ250 that I wouldnt even consider something else. Bombproof!

accadacca
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
KTMs are my fav. I don't have time to debate the ins and outs. I know they come with much better parts from the factory and many of the desert bikes have a reputation for being bullet proof. To get a Honda or something else to that that level you have to dump a bunch of money into it. They actually just stepped away from the Dakar race. They have won it so many times that its not a challenge anymore. I don't know how durable their full line of bikes are, but I am sold on them.

fourtycal
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Neither one of us has ever had a problem other than running out of gas and flats.

Or a rag stuffed between the air filter and carb :2thumbs: And I couldn't keep my yamaha upright :haha:

I like KTM's, they come from the factory with a great tool kit! I wouldn't say they are better, just different.

Reedus
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
The problem I have with them is the sticker shock. I am a used powersports dealer, so I have ridden them all. I like the looks of the KTM's, but for shit sakes what is with the extra 2g's to buy one?

double moo
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I ride with Acca and a bunch of other KTM guys. When I was looking to replace my Honda I looked and the big 4... the Yamaha seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for. One of our riding buddies told me to check out the KTMs - too pricey for me. After some prodding I did go look at them. I had to admit they were full of most of the upgrades that many riders do to their bikes... from the factory. In the end I bought the KTM. I have not had any break downs (nor did I on the Honda), and the group that I ride with hasn't had one go down on the trail yet either. All these guys seem to take good care of their bike and keep them in top shape... as they would with any other bike - maybe the problems are with the riders and their maintenance?

I'm not saying they are a better bike - so please don't flame me. It was just for the adds I would have elected to put on over the coming year it was already set. Buy the bike that makes you happy and ride it with a smile... isn't that why we do it.

REDFOX
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
If you want an exotic bike with all the upgrades already installed checkout the TM line handbuilt in Italy.

nelsonccc
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Neither one of us has ever had a problem other than running out of gas and flats.

Or a rag stuffed between the air filter and carb :2thumbs: And I couldn't keep my yamaha upright :haha:

I like KTM's, they come from the factory with a great tool kit! I wouldn't say they are better, just different.

Yes, FYI for all you guys out there, Hondas will not run with a rag sucked into the carburetor. Oh...my poor little brother, what a treat.

We definately need to do that again. We need a motorcycle bogleyfest to the pauite trail!

accadacca
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
We need a motorcycle bogleyfest to the pauite trail!
Indeed. I need someone to show me around the pauite trail.

nelsonccc
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
We need a motorcycle bogleyfest to the pauite trail!
Indeed. I need someone to show me around the pauite trail.

We go once a month starting in early June every year. You're welcome to come along at any time.

We should all pick some dates around late may, early June to plan a multi-day trip there.

Though if I remember correctly Fourtycal was worried about you and how your big bike would do on those trails.....Though his bike spent alot of time on its side so who is he to judge..... :roflol: ...ps..everybody wrecks on those trailseven me. :lol8:

moab mark
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Yes, FYI for all you guys out there, Hondas will not run with a rag sucked into the carburetor. Oh...my poor little brother, what a treat.

We definately need to do that again. We need a motorcycle bogleyfest to the pauite trail!

I would attend that fest for sure.

Mark

double moo
02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Santa was my bud this year!

3.4 gal KTM tank
EE Tall seat
EE bar risers

Ready to Farkle... Stock (except for the handguards and that Sicass Racing rear light & fender)
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/doublemoo1/misc058.jpg

Farkle session complete
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/doublemoo1/misc061.jpg

Let's set up that Paiute weekend!!!

moab mark
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
what's happening in mesquite?

double moo
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I head down to visit friends who live there a couple of times each winter!

moab mark
02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Where are the fun places in mesquite to ride?

double moo
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
We spend a lot of time east of the airport and all across the north of town. Great sand washes, hill climbs, fast roads etc... I've been reading some ride reports on ADVrider.com talking about routes on the south side of town. I'm thinking this trip I try some of them - head out and do a bit of exploring rather than our standard route.