PDA

View Full Version : Omni Sling

moab mark
01-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I saw a different twist for a releasable anchor on Tom's site using an omni sling.
Want to play with this concept but I have looked all over and cannot find one. Where can you buy an Omni Sling?

Mark

oldno7
01-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Try Jerid over at Northwash Outfitters.

moab mark
01-19-2010, 08:00 AM
You the man OLDNO 7.
He has a 5' on his site. Anybody know where to get an 8'? If not I'll get one from NorthWash.

Mark

ratagonia
01-19-2010, 08:34 AM
You the man OLDNO 7.
He has a 5' on his site. Anybody know where to get an 8'? If not I'll get one from NorthWash.

Mark

Ask Jared, see if he can order in the longer ones. BlueWater thought they would make more last fall, I don't know if they did.

Here's the link for the tech tip:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/c101/ghost/omni.php

comments/discussion appreciated.

Tom

Iceaxe
01-19-2010, 08:42 AM
The webpage Mark refer's to where the Omni Sling is shown in action:

Canyoneering 101
Ghosting: The Omnisling

And the webpage of Northwash Outfitters where they can be ordered:

Omni Sling
http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=63

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/store/images/uploads/omnisling.jpg

french_de
01-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Tom

I have used the basic 2-ring retrievable anchor multiple times using standard webbing.
http://canyoneeringusa.com/cusapress/knots/retree/index.php

I have also used 8 and 10 foot long black omnisling material with the 2-ring retreive method. By the way I found black omnisling at Black Diamond in Salt Lake.
I found the omnisling material a little harder to pull at retrieval time and I think it was because the omnisling material has a little more grab to it compared to a standard piece of webbing as it is dragged along the back surface of an anchor. Has this been your experience Tom?

moab mark
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
What's the sponge for? :ne_nau:

moab mark
01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
As far as comments, your direction are pretty straight forward. I have used the basic slip knot concept several times and have had no trouble with it releasing. Does this concept pull that much easier to justify the omni sling, biner etc.? Do you feel this system is safer then the slip knot system?
When I have done the slip knot concept I just tied 2 small loops in the end of a piece of webbing.

Mark

hank moon
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM

a cleaner pull :haha:

ratagonia
01-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Marks the 'cleaning' side.

T

ratagonia
01-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Tom

I have used the basic 2-ring retrievable anchor multiple times using standard webbing.

I have also used 8 and 10 foot long black omnisling material with the 2-ring retreive method. By the way I found black omnisling at Black Diamond in Salt Lake.
I found the omnisling material a little harder to pull at retrieval time and I think it was because the omnisling material has a little more grab to it compared to a standard piece of webbing as it is dragged along the back surface of an anchor. Has this been your experience Tom?

It is kind of sticky, but the lack of a bulge on the end is what makes for a better pull. Also, the 2-ring system requires 3X length of rope, while the Omnisling is a 2X solution.

T

ratagonia
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
As far as comments, your direction are pretty straight forward. I have used the basic slip knot concept several times and have had no trouble with it releasing. Does this concept pull that much easier to justify the omni sling, biner etc.? Do you feel this system is safer then the slip knot system?
When I have done the slip knot concept I just tied 2 small loops in the end of a piece of webbing.

Mark

I think what you are using is called the Macrame?

I stopped using the Macrame because I had no faith in using it on raps longer than say 40 feet. A couple of difficult releases made me realize that the friction properties of the rope made a big difference on whether it would pull or not. For instance, a slightly wet, dirty rope might not pull at all.

The single strand of the Omnisling is cleaner to pull around an object. Clearly, the knot and biner of the Omnisling rig I usually use is clunkier than a simple loop of rope.

The Omnisling I think is more secure, AND easier to pull. It just looks better to me on the security issue. If you'd like to buy me an Instron Test Machine, perhaps we could put some numbers to that... :naughty:

Tom

moab mark
01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
The one that I have used a few times is like the second picture on the ACA post. I guess that is a simple form of a macrame.

moab mark
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Tom

It is kind of sticky, but the lack of a bulge on the end is what makes for a better pull. Also, the 2-ring system requires 3X length of rope, while the Omnisling is a 2X solution.

T

Just lighting the webbing on fire would only require 1x rope. Just make sure you are a very fast rappeler. :haha:

mrbrejcha
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Hank, you get the slow; sarcastic clap.

hank moon
01-20-2010, 08:40 AM

hey, at least i got the clap!

moab mark
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
By looking at Tom's pictures I do not think a 5' omni sling is going to be long enough to be practical? The anchor would have to be a piece of sagebrush. Haven't heard from Jared yet hopefully he can score 8'er's.

french_de
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Tom

T

From Page 2 of Canyoneering 101 ghosting The omnisling - part 2 at Canyoneeringusa.com - Tom wrote -
"In some case, you may want to attach the rope to the Omnisling using a biner-block on a rapide, so that even if the omnisling gets jammed while pulling, the rope can be retrieved"

For me, the use of a biner block would make the use of a ghosted omnisling even more desirable/useful. No matter how hard I worked it, I have had a few stuck "retrievables" . The biner block is a good idea. Any chance of adding that setup to the pictures on your site Tom?

On another issue - on some of my omnislings there is a warning on the tag that states "never connect to the last rung of an omnisling". Is this a good idea no matter how they are bound at the ends?. Is this another level of security that shouldn't affect the performance or retrieval?

moab mark
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Black Diamond has Omni Slings in 12',9' and 6'. They are out of 12' because yours truly bought the 2 that they had. But they said they will be reordering. :2thumbs:

ratagonia
01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Black Diamond has Omni Slings in 12',9' and 6'. They are out of 12' because yours truly bought the 2 that they had. But they said they will be reordering. :2thumbs:

Whether BW has them available for delivery is another matter...

T

ratagonia
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
From Page 2 of Canyoneering 101 ghosting The omnisling - part 2 at Canyoneeringusa.com - Tom wrote -
"In some case, you may want to attach the rope to the Omnisling using a biner-block on a rapide, so that even if the omnisling gets jammed while pulling, the rope can be retrieved"

For me, the use of a biner block would make the use of a ghosted omnisling even more desirable/useful. No matter how hard I worked it, I have had a few stuck "retrievables" . The biner block is a good idea. Any chance of adding that setup to the pictures on your site Tom?

On another issue - on some of my omnislings there is a warning on the tag that states "never connect to the last rung of an omnisling". Is this a good idea no matter how they are bound at the ends?. Is this another level of security that shouldn't affect the performance or retrieval?

I'll work on that.

I recommend following the manufacturer's recommendations. Which means I need to reshoot all those pictures - darn! BW has a tensile test machine and are not shy about using it! They probably have a good reason for saying that, even with some healthy bartacks popped in the end.

Tom :moses:

ratagonia
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Most people are not happy about getting the clap.

T

Brian in SLC
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Most people are not happy about getting the clap.

T

Some might think the juice is worth the squeeze...

Yeah, I said it.

-Brian in SLC

Canyonbug
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
By looking at Tom's pictures I do not think a 5' omni sling is going to be long enough to be practical? The anchor would have to be a piece of sagebrush. Haven't heard from Jared yet hopefully he can score 8'er's.

Hey,
I have been out of town since Sunday and I won't be back home til late Friday night this week. Today is the first time I have had to get on a computer and check e-mail and forums. It looks like my wife has downloaded e-mails so they are going to be sitting on my computer at home. I believe I can get 8 footers in. I'll check for your e-mail when I get back.

moab mark
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
This is an interesting piece of webbing. The tag does not state anything about using the end loops? :ne_nau: It does state tensile strengths. Vertical-choker 5000 lbs. Basket 10,000 lbs. What's basket? Omni Slings must not be a big moving item. The manufacturing date on both of these is 10-22-04. Just playing with it in my kitchen it seems like after being loaded it would be hard to pull the rope free? Have to go down to my brothers gym and give it a whirl.

Edit
Heres what the warning states. Inspect sling for damage, do not overload or expose to temps above 250. Meets ANSI/OSHA/NFPA.

Mark

ratagonia
01-21-2010, 10:28 AM
This is an interesting piece of webbing. The tag does not state anything about using the end loops? :ne_nau: It does state tensile strengths. Vertical-choker 5000 lbs. Basket 10,000 lbs. What's basket? Omni Slings must not be a big moving item. The manufacturing date on both of these is 10-22-04. Just playing with it in my kitchen it seems like after being loaded it would be hard to pull the rope free? Have to go down to my brothers gym and give it a whirl.

Edit
Heres what the warning states. Inspect sling for damage, do not overload or expose to temps above 250. Meets ANSI/OSHA/NFPA.

Mark

I've got some 12 footers coming in about Feb 1st. Gonna be kinda pricey though, about 32$

Tom

moab mark
01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
BD was $37 for 2.

moab mark
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I emailed Bluewater about Omni slings and this is what I got back.

Mark

Thank you for contacting BlueWater Ropes.

The Omni sling was discontinued.

Best Regards

ratagonia
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
BD was $37 for 2.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Tom

moab mark
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
BD was $37 for 2.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Tom

This is where supply and demand kicks in.

Cirrus2000
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Mark

Best Regards

Any chance of starting to make your own version, Tom?

:popcorn:

ratagonia
01-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Mark

Best Regards

Any chance of starting to make your own version, Tom?

:popcorn:

Well kinda sorta. I ordered 12 footers from RSI, and will endeavor to keep them in stock. too small a market for an Imlay product, but it is good to be able to order them kinda-wholesale from RSI.

The best we can do at the moment. I don't expect a bigmarket, kinda like the SandTrap.

Tom

ratagonia
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Twelve foot Omnisling now available at Canyoneering USA:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16404&cat=253&page=2

$ 31.95

If just ordering that, take the 4$ shipping option.

Tom :moses:

moab mark
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Played with the Omni Sling this weekend. My buddy and I set it up 4 times and twice we could not get it to release. We did not even rappel on it just put it around a shrub and hurked on it. One time when trying to release we pulled so hard that we pulled the Sling over the top of the bush. Yes this is a new way to have a releasable but probably not the safest way to go. The strange thing was the upper slip loop? the one that actually takes the weight would release but the bottom one would not pull thru. The rope would come out of the loop but we could not pull the loop back thru the Sling? :ne_nau: The only thing we could determine is the one with the weight on it flattens out the webbing so it will slide back thru but the bottom one with no weight was to bulky to feed back thru. From our small experience if I was using an omni sling I would also use a biner block on the rope.

Mark

ratagonia
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Played with the Omni Sling this weekend. My buddy and I set it up 4 times and twice we could not get it to release. We did not even rappel on it just put it around a shrub and hurked on it. One time when trying to release we pulled so hard that we pulled the Sling over the top of the bush. Yes this is a new way to have a releasable but probably not the safest way to go. The strange thing was the upper slip loop? the one that actually takes the weight would release but the bottom one would not pull thru. The rope would come out of the loop but we could not pull the loop back thru the Sling? :ne_nau: The only thing we could determine is the one with the weight on it flattens out the webbing so it will slide back thru but the bottom one with no weight was to bulky to feed back thru. From our small experience if I was using an omni sling I would also use a biner block on the rope.

Mark

What rope did you use? Was it really stiff?

Tom

moab mark
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Imlay 9 mm. We did not have any trouble getting the rope to pull out. It was getting the bottom loop in the omni sling to pull back thru.

ratagonia
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Imlay 9 mm. We did not have any trouble getting the rope to pull out. It was getting the bottom loop in the omni sling to pull back thru.

You were setting it up correctly? Such that when you are cleaning it, you are pulling on the 'toggle' side, the side that forms the toggles? If you pull on the straight side, I can see it locking in place.

Tom

moab mark
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
You were setting it up correctly? Such that when you are cleaning it, you are pulling on the 'toggle' side, the side that forms the toggles? If you pull on the straight side, I can see it locking in place.

Tom

Ok now that I think about it I think we might be a little slow. Tad kept saying he thought it didn't look right. We were pulling on the straight length not the toggle side. Well give it another whirl.

Please disregard all above posts. We have been known to ride the short bus.:lol8:

Mark

ratagonia
05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok now that I think about it I think we might be a little slow. Tad kept saying he thought it didn't look right. We were pulling on the straight length not the toggle side. Well give it another whirl.

Please disregard all above posts. We have been known to ride the short bus.:lol8:

Mark

I have to figure it out every time I use it, when I haven't used it in a while. My mantra to remember is that the clean side is straight straight straight. All the action takes place on one side.

You could print out those pictures, Mark. If you don't have a printer at home, you can head down to your local Chevron station and get it printed off the Internets there. Usually you gotta slip the guy a few bucks under the counter, but...

Tom