PDA

View Full Version : Pictures---Cd's

oldno7
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Whats the best program for transferring pictures to cd's?

something simple and hopefully free.

Thanks

asdf
01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Whats the best program for transferring pictures to cd's?

something simple and hopefully free.

Thanks

Are you talking for backups or what?

Pelon1
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Its pretty simple to transfer using windows either to a cd or dvd. Just drag them from the folder to the cd.

oldno7
01-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Yes for backup.
I know this should be a basic function but I can't get it to work.
had a program from sony that I could use called sonic, but I deleted it.

If I open the picture file, select all, copy......
It doesn't allow the process. :ne_nau:

asdf
01-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Both Lightroom and Picasa have back up to disc options for your photo libraries. I would highly suggest LR over Picasa.

oldno7
01-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks Bill
I went into Element's and burned from there.
wasn't thinking of using PS

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't have experience with Lightroom, I'm sure that's a good program.

I use Picasa to throw my stuff online in an album. (for free)

Whether you're using the CD for backup, or to distribute, the problem with having a physical disk is it can always scratch, break, get lost.... and you have to take that item in your hand and physically "touch it" to get it to the destination.

With online storage you can access it from any computer, email the link to anybody, keep it private if you like, and if it's google, it will always be there. And it's free. :2thumbs:

moab mark
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't have experience with Lightroom, I'm sure that's a good program.

I use Picasa to throw my stuff online in an album. (for free)

Whether you're using the CD for backup, or to distribute, the problem with having a physical disk is it can always scratch, break, get lost.... and you have to take that item in your hand and physically "touch it" to get it to the destination.

With online storage you can access it from any computer, email the link to anybody, keep it private if you like, and if it's google, it will always be there. And it's free. :2thumbs:

Picasa is only backing up the albums you have online correct? If that is correct unless you buy space from them you cannot load many pictures out onto the web. Enlighten me our mighty leader.

Mark

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Using the Picasa client, (picasa.google.com) you can "sync" your photos to an online album, if you have a free google picasaweb account.

You can sync by folder on your computer.

Then you can disable the sync option if you would like to delete your LOCAL folder (hard drive), but keep the originals online.

moab mark
01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Using the Picasa client, (picasa.google.com) you can "sync" your photos to an online album, if you have a free google picasaweb account.

You can sync by folder on your computer.

Then you can disable the sync option if you would like to delete your LOCAL folder (hard drive), but keep the originals online.

Ill go look for that thanks. :2thumbs:

asdf
01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Make sure you are making your backups of your photos in their original (non edited format). Nothing is more disappointing then pulling up an old image to edit with a new tool or skill and finding that its just a copy of a bad edit.

Also, I would highly suggest doing a monthly backup to a portable storage device and keep it off site.
I have one of these - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624900-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_HPBAAC3200ABK_NHSN_320GB_Simple Save_Portable_Backup.html
Its come with some really simple backup software, every time you connect the drive to your computer it syncs your files.

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't upload ALL of my photos, just the ones I'd like to embed in a slideshow. But you can do any photos you like, and even mark them as private, viewable only by you once logged in.

Example, here's my online album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/justinmcfarland0

I've actually resized my photos and then uploaded, for faster operation. But this is not necessary. I've backed up my originals to an external hard drive. I use picasaweb purely for sharing, but it can be a good backup.

moab mark
01-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't upload ALL of my photos, just the ones I'd like to embed in a slideshow. But you can do any photos you like, and even mark them as private, viewable only by you once logged in.

Example, here's my online album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/justinmcfarland0

I've actually resized my photos and then uploaded, for faster operation. But this is not necessary. I've backed up my originals to an external hard drive. I use picasaweb purely for sharing, but it can be a good backup.

Hijack, I looked at your photos, is that city of rocks in Idaho? If it is what was it like? I've heard it is a great place to go on a family adventure.

Mark

Cirrus2000
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Picasa is only backing up the albums you have online correct? If that is correct unless you buy space from them you cannot load many pictures out onto the web. Enlighten me our mighty leader.

Mark
Picasa is both the software on your computer, plus the website and storage. Picasa gives you 1 gigabyte free storage. 20 gigabytes is $5 per year. 80 gigabytes for $20. 200 gigabytes for $50, etc.

On here: http://picasaweb.google.com/cirrus2000 I am currently using under 3GB, but I am not storing full resolutions photos there, mostly just 1600x1200. There are a couple of hundred full res, but they're in hidden albums, mostly. (I currently have 51 public, and 33 private albums).

I love Picasa.

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
[Hijack, I looked at your photos, is that city of rocks in Idaho? If it is what was it like? I've heard it is a great place to go on a family adventure.

Mark

It is. I only spent the day there but it was a cool place for the kids to climb around. Plenty of camping spots too.