PDA

View Full Version : Video editing Software?

moab mark
01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
My son is having a riot snowboarding with his new vholdr camera. So now I am looking to buy some software for editing video. I used Roxio for a while but my computer crashed and I lost the program and can not find the disk. Had no real complaints about Roxio but what do the experts suggest to buy? I am using Windozes.

Mark

Sombeech
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
what format are the clips in?

moab mark
01-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Is the format meaning .mov?

Mark

Sombeech
01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
.MOV is a tough one. The quality is great, but it puts a limit on editing software (for free). I currently edit all of my .mov files with Cyberlink PowerDirector 5.

Didn't Vholdr come with any editing software? Those cameras usually include software for editing.

moab mark
01-08-2010, 07:50 AM
It came with a very basic editing program. Ill probably just go buy roxio again unless someone has a better suggestion.
Edit
I went and looked at the cyber link director 8. Looks good but is it any better then roxio? Do you like the director programs?

Mark

moab mark
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Anybody use Adobe?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355114,00.asp

Sombeech
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
If you could convert it to AVI or WMV with minimal loss of quality, that would open up a lot more options, even Windows Movie Maker.

For what 95% of the people need, Windows Movie Maker gets the job done.

moab mark
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I am probably just going to go buy adobe or director. But I have a concern. Vholdr creates a seperate file each time you record. When you upload these you have to convert each file to avi or whatever. Pain in the butt. I think my JVC creates a clip for each recording but the total day is downloaded as one file. I am concerned when I buy xyz software that when uploading to it I am going to have to load each individual file? If this is the case it is really going to be a pain. Any idea if I will be able to load numerous files at once to say Adobe?

Mark

Partly Animal
01-11-2010, 08:31 AM
I use Adobe Premiere Elements and am pretty happy with it. I haven't used it for MOV files so I did a test this morning. I was able to drag several MOV files into it all at the same times without doing any format conversions. Once the files are in the storyboard area of the software you can then drag them all at once onto the timeline for editing so it would seem to be fairly quick for handling several files as you described. You can then save the edited movie in a variety of formats. I don't think I paid too much for it, somewhere around $100 but you can download a free trial version if you want to give it a test drive. I think Adobe has a $20 rebate offer going right now as well.

Cirrus2000
01-11-2010, 09:03 AM
If you have a video program you like, but it won't use the format you've got, I would strongly recommend using SUPER to convert it. It's a weird, idiosyncratic program, but it sure works. And it's free! http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Personally, I use Pinnacle Studio (starting at $50) which has tons of features, crashes occasionally, but makes great video.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Home/

moab mark
01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks I think ill go pick it up. Or try the demo.

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 09:28 AM
That's right... I forgot about Super. Some people mistake it as SuperC just because the C is the copyright symbol after the name. :haha: