PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe Winterfest Feb 5-6 2010!

blueeyes
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
When: February 5-6
Where: Salt Lake City
What: Snowshoe and Sushi

Keep your eye on the first post of this thread as I get more details of who is coming and what we are doing I will update it here!

The Events!

Dinner February 5th at 7PM
Sapa Sushi Bar and Asian Grill

722 S State St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
www.sapabarandgrill.com/index.php

Attending Friday Dinner:

Blueeyes
Abirken
GHB
Don
Accaddacca
Heather
Joe
Sombeech
Treehugger and Guests (How many????)
Kapitan??

Snowshoe Saturday February 6th at 11AM

Meet in the Olympus Hills Shopping Center at 11:00AM
3905 Wasatch Boulevard, Holladay, UT‎

Tentatively we are going to snowshoe on Salt Lake Overlook trail that starts at the Desolation trailhead, right by MillCreek Inn. But we will make the final determination that day depending on conditions and consensus of those attending. Bring yourself a picnic lunch. We will trek in and eat lunch somewhere and back out. If you don

blueeyes
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Would anyone be interested in Dinner after snowshoeing and before karaoke at the pizza parlor?

accadacca
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I am in for the snowshoeing on Saturday and would be interested in grabbing a bite to eat after. Perhaps someplace near the mouth of the canyon so we can all meet right after? It might make things easier. :ne_nau:
Looking forward to it. :popcorn:

Don
01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Encore performance of the infamous Solid Gold!

People could take your meaning to be something you don't intend it to be so let me clarify; it is very unlikely that I will be unclothed while at the karaoke bar, dinner or snowshoeing while at this Bogley event.

I will however, be happy to sing some karaoke! I might even pick a song once featured on Solid Gold...

Sounds like fun!

EDIT: Oh, and I like the idea of dinner near the canyon on Saturday evening before karaoke...

live2ride
01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
i am interested for the snowshoe and a bite to eat afterwods

blueeyes
01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Encore performance of the infamous Solid Gold!

People could take your meaning to be something you don't intend it to be so let me clarify; it is very unlikely that I will be unclothed while at the karaoke bar, dinner or snowshoeing while at this Bogley event.

I will however, be happy to sing some karaoke! I might even pick a song once featured on Solid Gold...

Sounds like fun!

EDIT: Oh, and I like the idea of dinner near the canyon on Saturday evening before karaoke...

:lol8: Ok that never occured to me but in light of recent events I can understand the need for clarification. Don earned is nickname crooning to us at the last snowshoe event. Very spontaneous and entertaining as he always is. :five:

Mtnman1830
01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Hmmm.....
Put me down for the snowshoe. :2thumbs:

abirken
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Just count me in for all of it. :2thumbs: Looking forward to it!

And especially looking forward to the Encore. :nod: HAHA!!!! I can't sing but I can make an excellent back up dancer. Even throw in a little belly dancing into the mix?
:lol8:

Bugs
01-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Hmmm, I've been eyeballin' some snow shoes at the Sam's Club lately; but I keep talking myself out of them, "What are you going to do with those Mike?" I keep asking myself.

Now I think maybe I can justify them =]

I'll have to check my vacation time and stuff as it's a regular work week for me but would love to join you folks Saturday afternoon and evening.

blueeyes
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, I've been eyeballin' some snow shoes at the Sam's Club lately;

I bought two pair from Costco for my kids. Not having much experience with snowshoeing I can say they seem to work fine. With the two pair we bought you have to make sure and cinch the toe strap up as tight as possible or it catches under the front webbing. They were a bit of a pain to adjust straps in the cold weather as compared to my MSR's (which I love). We have only been out once with them. But I think for the price and what my kids intend to use them for they will work sufficiently.

If you are not ready to buy REI rents snowshoes.

TreeHugger
01-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I'll be there for Sushi on Friday and snowshoeing on Saturday.

We are having our 7th annual wine and dessert party Saturday night so I wont be able to make the karaoke - darn! haha. would have been very entertaining, I'm sure!! :-)

Thanks for organizing!

karen

TreeHugger
01-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Oh yeah, I was gonna say that you should post this in the snowshoeing section as well!

AND... I'm thinking that without any new snow, SLO trail probably wont require snowshoes. It's a well traveled trail and will be pretty packed down, I'm guessing. Might need them for post hole prevention here and there, but maybe not even that.

Heather
01-08-2010, 09:45 AM
OOOH this sounds fun! Joe and I are in for all. :)

greyhair biker
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I will find out monday the 11th for sure if I can go. I want to...I NEED to.........I'm low guy on the totempole at work :frustrated: I would have known for sure today but we had an accident out at work today that took precedence so cross your fingers! :nod:

abirken
01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I will find out monday the 11th for sure if I can go. I want to...I NEED to.........I'm low guy on the totempole at work :frustrated: I would have known for sure today but we had an accident out at work today that took precedence so cross your fingers! :nod:

Welp Wade? What's the word bird? :mrgreen:

greyhair biker
01-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Welp Wade? What's the word bird? :mrgreen:
:roll: boss'l be in tuesday :ne_nau:

tallsteve
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I think I can make it to the snowshoeing event and if you do pizza after. Sounds fun!

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm planning on it. :2thumbs:

abirken
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
If it's not too cold out....I'll go streaking with Don. He needs a female streaking companion. :roflol:

Sombeech
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM
If it's not too cold out....I'll go streaking with Don. He needs a female streaking companion. :roflol:

StreakCam 2010. I'll give you my helmetcam mount

Don
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Sweet. Nekkid is funny. Bring good CO beers! :haha:

Don
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Speaking of streaking, where are we going snowshoeing that Saturday? I like Mill Creek and other Salt Lake options because SLC is middle ground for those coming for Ogden or Orem. I'm thinking we might have to go higher elevation though if we don't get some damn snow soon, but that's not really the point of my post.
What would you think about hiking in to 5th Water hot springs? It's a bit further, but only about an hour's drive south from the point of the mountain. There's plenty of hiking opportunity up there, we could hike around, maybe see the Spanish Sun symbol carved into the rock for anyone interested and then hike the 2(ish) miles up to the hot spring for a soak (I'll even promise to keep my clothes on).
Then still head up to SLC for dinner and Karaoke it would just be a longer drive.
I'll be honest though; the hot spring has a sulfur smell and you might want a shower before dinner and karaoke. I'm happy to provide a shower at my place (American Fork) and Brad has offered up his too (Pleasant Grove).
Might require a start earlier than noon in order to make showers and dinner reasonable...
Whattayathink?

blueeyes
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I be happy with that. Nothing funner then sitting in a hot water after rolling around in the snow! Such a thrilling sensation.

Make your preference be known folks?

Keep it in SL or move it to Orem.

abirken
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm in. As long as I get a shower before dinner, it's all good. Gotta get all purty ya know!! :haha: Damn I guess this means I have to get into a bathing suit........................... :roll: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

greyhair biker
01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Bathing suit? at FIfth Water?! What a novel idea :lol8: I guess if I have to I'll put something on.....Because wherever it is I AM THERE! I got the days off!

I am open for either SLC or fifth water, just point me in the right direction :nod:

greyhair biker
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
...you DO realise that there are no changerooms on site....not really close trees to hide behind....maybe some rocks.... :haha:

Don
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
...you DO realise that there are no changerooms on site....not really close trees to hide behind....maybe some rocks.... :haha:

Bring a towel ya wuss.

greyhair biker
01-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Bring a towel ya wuss.

:roflol: :roflol: I am completely comfortable in my skin my friend....

Don
01-15-2010, 07:35 PM

Bring a towel ya wuss.

Yeah? While you change drape the towel over the head of anyone who isn't.

greyhair biker
01-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Bring a towel ya wuss.

Yeah? While you change drape the towel over the head of anyone who isn't.
Ok ok , I agree :haha:

abirken
01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Great to hear that you will be there GHB!! :2thumbs: :nod: Should be good times!

TreeHugger
01-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey Chere'!

I have a couple of friends coming in from out of town on Friday who love sushi, can we add them to the dinner list??

I wont be partaking in Saturday's festivities, bad weekend for me for that. I have to run 16 miles and then prepare for a big party at my house...

bummer.

GHB - will I actually get to meet you at dinner???? Whooo-hoo!

greyhair biker
01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey Chere'!

I have a couple of friends coming in from out of town on Friday who love sushi, can we add them to the dinner list??

I wont be partaking in Saturday's festivities, bad weekend for me for that. I have to run 16 miles and then prepare for a big party at my house...

bummer.

GHB - will I actually get to meet you at dinner???? Whooo-hoo!
:2thumbs: looking forward to it!

greyhair biker
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
so do we need an official decision on where we are going?

abirken
01-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Yup I think that should be firmed up by the locals- you all. I am driving in so I have no idea where anything is. I just follow along. :haha: But it would also be nice to know where things will take place because that will determine where I'm staying. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Yup I think that should be firmed up by the locals- you all. I am driving in so I have no idea where anything is. I just follow along. :haha: But it would also be nice to know where things will take place because that will determine where I'm staying. :2thumbs:
I agree - I dont consider myself a local so sounds like we wait with baited breath....

Don
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't really want to call it 'the plan' if making it the plan will result in someone not coming. Anyone in that situation? Anyone have objections?
Give it 48 hours and call it?

accadacca
01-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I was hoping to stay near SLC and head straight down the canyon somewhere for a bite after. Then it sounds like others were going meet later in the evening for karaoke, drinks, etc.

However, it looks like I am in the minority and perhaps some people haven't weighed in at all. If ya'll want to head to the hot spring then make it so. It makes the most sense to choose where the majority want to go. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll likewise go where the majority go without a problem but it would be easier for me to stay in SLC. Not a problem though if not :nod:

KapitanSparrow
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm in for some of the activities but not sure yet which ones. Alison, I am saving that bottle even if it kills me. :roflol:

abirken
01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
This Polish girl has never had Polish booze so Kapitan, it's ON! :2thumbs:

abirken
01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I'll likewise go where the majority go without a problem but it would be easier for me to stay in SLC. Not a problem though if not :nod:

I've decided that if most of the activities take place in SLC, I'll be staying there as well. It's just easier to shave off some drive time on the way back home. As much as I'd love to slumber party with Chere again, it wouldn't make sense for me...*plus she may be having her own kinda slumber party going on* :roflol: Oops! I didn't say that. And I'll follow the majority....... :mrgreen:

Don
01-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Now I'm going to shoot down my own suggestion. The hot spring would be a fun destination but I don't want to discourage anyone from coming. It would be nice to see a turn out as big as last year! So I'm thinking we should keep the snowshoeing nearer to the big valley.

(If anyone else is free Friday morning we could hit the hot spring then...)

Where then for Saturday? One of the Cottonwoods? Mill Creek? Up by Park City? Some neat stuff up American Fork canyon, that's northern Utah county, much closer than Diamond Fork and shouldn't scare anyone off...

Also, Allison, your not paying for a place to crash in SLC are you? I've always got a couch for you! Hell, I'll even clean the toilet. In fact I'd be happy to host a slumber party if Chere has her own thing going on... Friday or Saturday night or both, whatever. Wade, need a place?
Maybe we could play some cards or throw some darts or something...

We really need some fresh snow now!

adamsco
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not going to be able to make this one. However, if you're looking for some route suggestions--the north fork of American Fork Canyon has some great routes--especially if you link into the Ridge Trail. The trails on Box Elder that start in that area should be good for at least a few miles too. I've made a few trips up there in the past week and the snow has been nice. There was a new 9" to 12" by the time I got off the trail today

Have fun, folks. I'll see if I can link up for Saturday evening.

blueeyes
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey guys sorry I have ignored this thread for the last few days. I was sorta off the grid.

Anyway we will move plans back to SLC.

I may have someone special staying at my house during the snowshoe fest but that does not mean the rest of you are not welcome! But I do understand that staying in SL is probably easier.

ALL OF YOU PRAY FOR SNOW!!!! Hell it will be nothing but a hike if we don't get snow. I will up date the first post in the thread later tonight I just got home and need to unpack everything.

GHB, YEAH!!!!! I am so happy you will be coming. Hey bring me some armor, after this weekend I am sick of trail rash. It hurts and I can't seem to stay on my bike. IDK maybe I need bubble wrap. :lol8:

greyhair biker
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Don I may take you up on the sleepover offer but I am checking with family in SLC right now first( I will have 'errands' to run to family).
Chere', I have some arm and leg armor in stock I can bring down to see what fits & such. Always best to try on first but I'll bring stuff that will probably work well :nod:

Don
01-25-2010, 11:00 AM
A quick search came up with two bars offering Karaoke on Saturday nights. I've never been to either place.

Maggie McGee's at 6253 Highland Dr., Salt Lake City
http://www.maggiemcgees.com/

The Highlander at 6194 S Highland Dr., Holladay
http://highlanderutah.com/

Both are upper east side which works well if we snowshoe Mill Creek or one of the Cottonwood Canyons and plan to stay on the east side. Means we need to find dinner over there.

My opinion; I like the Highlander web site, I like the name (there can be only one) and they're offering 40,000 songs for Karaoke!

I don't like Maggie McGee's 'cause the ex's maiden name is McGee. Not really a reason to dislike a bar I guess.

Some east-side food ideas:

The Porcupine Grill
http://www.porcupinepub.com/

The Hog Wallow
http://www.thehogwallow.com/

The Cotton Bottom
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/54/590570/restaurant/Holladay/Cotton-Bottom-Inn-Salt-Lake-City

abirken
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
The menu at Porcupine Grill looks pretty good IMO! :2thumbs:

I'm not a fan of sports bars mostly because I hate televisions in bars (especially with sports on them)....I know, I know. I'm an ambiance/wine cellar/jazz club kinda of girl. Also if it's a sports bar, usually means it's not dance friendly unless of course we decide to dance on the bar? :lol8: So yea........let's do a bit more searching IMO. If not, just sit me in the corner with a pitcher of beer- at the sports bar- and I will be ok. :rockon:

PS- I don't like either of the names. They both sound sportsbar-ish. I'd prefer one called Bar Luxe or The Starlight Lounge. :mrgreen:

Don
01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
The menu at Porcupine Grill looks pretty good IMO! :2thumbs:

I'm not a fan of sports bars mostly because I hate televisions in bars (especially with sports on them)....I know, I know. I'm an ambiance/wine cellar/jazz club kinda of girl. Also if it's a sports bar, usually means it's not dance friendly unless of course we decide to dance on the bar? :lol8: So yea........let's do a bit more searching IMO. If not, just sit me in the corner with a pitcher of beer- at the sports bar- and I will be ok. :rockon:

PS- I don't like either of the names. They both sound sportsbar-ish. I'd prefer one called Bar Luxe or The Starlight Lounge. :mrgreen:

Yeah, Porcupine Grill is my first choice too, but on a Saturday night in winter it may be crowded and we might want to consider a back-up plan.

Not sure we're going to find a cool lounge kind of a place with dancing and karaoke. It sounds like cool-lounge-dancing is the priority over karaoke, which is cool with me. I'll come up with some more bar suggestions...

accadacca
01-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I am easy...yeah that too. :haha:

Is the plan to meet around noonish to snowshoe and then grab a bite somewhere near the bottom? Then you midnight oil burners are going to meet later (8-9-10? No clue when the cool people meet) in the evening after showers, etc :naughty: for an encore performance of solid gold n' drinks/karaoke?

If this is the case we could meet at the Bohemian Brewery for an after snowshoe get together to grab a bite and drink. A few have been there before and really like it. Its one of my favs: www.bohemianbrewery.com

Just throwing in my two cents... :popcorn:

abirken
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
If this is the case we could meet at the Bohemian Brewery for an after snowshoe get together to grab a bite and drink. A few have been there before and really like it. Its one of my favs: www.bohemianbrewery.com

Did we meet there last time? The Bohemian? I can't remember. If so, it was really good and the beers were delish too! :2thumbs: Too bad you can't come out and burn the midnight oil with us. :naughty:

@Don- Don't mean to be a pain in the rear. Just speaking up because darnit, if I'm driving ALL THAT WAY to hang out with you guys.....let's at least find a half way decent place to chill and be fools. Ok? :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Did we meet there last time? The Bohemian? I can't remember. If so, it was really good and the beers were delish too! :2thumbs: Too bad you can't come out and burn the midnight oil with us. :naughty:

@Don- Don't mean to be a pain in the rear. Just speaking up because darnit, if I'm driving ALL THAT WAY to hang out with you guys.....let's at least find a half way decent place to chill and be fools. Ok? :2thumbs:
I'm good for the Bohemian too if that's the place on Fort Union kind of up the street from Hooters. I'm good for anywhere really. but that area would put me right in the middle of all my family - convenient for sleeping arrangements too.

accadacca
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Yep abirken we met there last time. It is kitty-corner from Hooters. So it has that going for it too. :naughty:

blueeyes
01-27-2010, 07:17 AM
http://www.liquidjoes.net/

Liquid Joes has the Spazmatics on Saturday nights. Play 80's music, they are a blast to watch, lots of dancing but very loud so not much talking. But close to Bohemian.

http://www.thegreenpigpub.com/

In downtown SL new to the scene I have been there on the Santa Pub Crawl it was my favorite bar of the night. Love the guy that greets ya at the door he is pretty cool cat. This bar would be more of the sit enjoy the music and chat, maybe a little dancing. We danced that night but then there were 50 Santa's in the mood.

http://www.tavernacle.com/

No dancing unless you want to dance with the piano guy. Fun there are two piano's and they try to out sing each other. This in downtown SL as well.

There is also Green Street near trolley square.

If we go to Green Pig and decide we want to move on there are several other bars in the area with in walking distance we could just wander from bar to bar.

Sounds like Bohemiam has won for dinner. Tell me which bar and I will update everthing.

Don
01-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Liquid Joes is always packed you won't get a table, likely won't get a chair and it's way too loud to hold a conversation.

The Tavernacle can be fun but again packed; get there early if you want to sit down. And no dancing; it's a piano bar. They take requests (if you tip) and play your favorite song (regardless of genre, rap, pop, rock whatever; they sing and play it on piano) unless someone pays more than you did to get them to stop playing it. Kind of annoying.

Green Street is big; plenty of room. Has pool tables, dancing and a separate, quieter bar area where we could chill by the fireplace...

Never been to the Green Pig.

I've been meaning to try A Bar Named Sue. It's gotten a lot of good reviews (local media and from friends). 42 beers on tap...

KapitanSparrow
01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I am interested to know where is the after-party after the party? :haha:

blueeyes
01-27-2010, 08:07 AM
What about Lumpy's?

I am interested in Bar named Sue.

TreeHugger
01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I can guarantee you an hour wait on a Saturday during ski season at the Porcupine.

Bohemian rarely has a wait.

HogWallow is great - they usually have a little band there and a small dance floor... a great casual vibe and now that you cant smoke in there is pretty cool. Pool tables, too.

Wish I could join the Saturday fun - always bad timing with me and Bogley events. Will be at sushi on Friday though (with a couple of out of town friends).

abirken
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
A bar named Sue sounds killer just b/c I'm a Cash fan. :2thumbs: But really, any of the above sound good to me with exception of Liquid Joes. Green Street sounds good too just because of it being spacious AND it has dancing. I think it would nice to be in an area where we can start at one place and move on if we wanna.........bar hop! Why not do them all???? Kapitan- After Party is at your house. :lol8:

Bohemian sounds like a nice dinner plan. :2thumbs:

Don
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
A Bar Named Sue has my vote for sure. Just talked to a friend who loves that place.

Alison, speaking of Cash, did you see my FB post a week or so ago about the new album? American VI - Aint No Grave new material recorded between May of '03 (when June died) and September '03 (when Johnny died)comes out February 23!

abirken
01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
A Bar Named Sue has my vote for sure. Just talked to a friend who loves that place.

Alison, speaking of Cash, did you see my FB post a week or so ago about the new album? American VI - Aint No Grave new material recorded between May of '03 (when June died) and September '03 (when Johnny died)comes out February 23!

Yup! I did see that! Gonna have to check that out for sure and itune it. Speaking of Cash, Cashed Out is playing at The Belly Up again (Aspen). Gonna go see them on Feb 19! Sleeping in JD's bed again. :2thumbs: (only you know what that means). Anyhow, last time Cashed Out played, that dude finished off a whole bottle of Jim Beam on stage. Turned into QUITE the show. I highly recommend seeing them if you can.

Ok back to the Winterfest planning. I'm down with A Bar Named Sue b/c I like the name. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Stopped by Bohemian Brewery tonight and got to met the owner, Peter, who gave us behind the scene tour of the place. Unfortunately, they are not hiring beer testers. Bohemian rocks! However, my designated driver had too much to drink and I had to walk home. But 3.5 miles is not that far :2thumbs:

blueeyes
01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I have made updates to the first post in this thread. Please check and make sure your name is where it should be.

If anything needs to be changed ie times, places or people please let me know.

Looking forward to it!!!

Kapitan what do you want your name on?

Treehugger how many friends you bringing?

KapitanSparrow
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm there for the two dinners and the bar. Snowshoeing I am not sure about.

blueeyes
01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Come on go snowshoeing with us!!!

KapitanSparrow
01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah. But first I have to see how my leg handles snowshoeing. I'll rent a pair on Friday and test it out.

blueeyes
01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah. But first I have to see how my leg handles snowshoeing. I'll rent a pair on Friday and test it out.

I didn't realize your leg was still healing. Take it easy. If you can join us great.... if not, we still have you for dinner and the bar!

greyhair biker
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm coming down sometime friday morning to do some shopping & visit family then SUSHI!! I'm up for all day wherever on saturday and dinner but I have to leave for home after dinner - sorry, no karaoke for me - I have to sing in two choirs on sunday :ne_nau:

TreeHugger
01-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Chere',

There will be two guests with me. Friends of mine from MI, who transplanted to CO. They LOVE sushi. He is a mtn biker, motorcyler. She is a horse person.

See you Friday!

tallsteve
01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
How long is the snowshoe route you've chosen? Just so I can tell the wife what time I'll be home.

Don
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
A couple of us are going to hike/snowshoe up to the 5th Water hot spring up Diamond Fork canyon on Friday morning if anyone would like to join drop me a PM.

Don
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Snow in the forecast!? Looks like chance of snow Wed, likely snow Thurs and chance of snow Fri/Sat for Wasatch mountains... :2thumbs:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtables/index.php?lat=40.6&lon=-111.64

blueeyes
02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Don that is great news!

Ok so I made reservations at both Sapa's and Bohemian under Bogley.

Steve I am not sure how long.. if we meet at 11 and decide the trail get started by 11:45 hike for at least and 1hour then eat lunch and possibly head back unless we want to keep hiking... i am guessing done by around 4 4:30ish.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Cirrus2000
02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Hope you all have a great time - wish I could be there!

TreeHugger
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Hope you all have a great time - wish I could be there!

We'll miss ya! :-)

accadacca
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll be able to make the snowshoeing, but damn I wont be able to make Bohemian. :cry1:

Does anyone have any snowshoes that I could borrow?

abirken
02-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Packing this morning to get ready to head out tomorrow. I often wonder WHY is it that when I need to get out of town, the work schedule piles up to mammoth proportions? Anyone have an answer for this? I swear I think my receptionist thinks I am a robot sometimes. UGH!!! Anyhow, bringing myself, cold beer, snow gear and going out clothes. Looking forward to seeing you all! :2thumbs: Just a forewarning if I'm a bit fried upon arrival......it's works fault. :lol8:

Cirrus- WILL MISS YA!!!! See you this spring hopefully.

Sombeech
02-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey, I think Friday might be out for me, but I should be able to attend everything on Saturday.

Don
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Quick reminder. Alison, and I and maybe one other are hiking Friday morning. The plan is the hot spring up Diamond Fork canyon. Your welcome to join us! Send me a PM!

abirken
02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Anyone have a link to the best site to check Utah Road/SLC conditions? I'll be heading in from Price this evening. It's snowing here in Glenwood Springs at the moment. Hoping for clear roads on my drive into town. :2thumbs:

bowjunkie
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Anyone have a link to the best site to check Utah Road/SLC conditions? I'll be heading in from Price this evening. It's snowing here in Glenwood Springs at the moment. Hoping for clear roads on my drive into town. :2thumbs:

http://www.commuterlink.utah.gov/

It's dry in Fruita atm

Bugs
02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Well I'm going to helping host a birthday party for my daughter Saturday at noon, so I'm out for afternoon stuff - her birthday is Friday and I thought we'd do all the party stuff then, but not so. So I'm out for the physical activity portion of the event (better anyway since I took Tues and tonight, Thurs off sick).

I'll prolly make dinner on Sat and can shuttle folks out to the bar if need be. I have to work at 10pm, but if you guys want a for sure DD I can try and get approval to go in late. Let me know.

greyhair biker
02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
...well, after I hit the 5:15 spinclass this morning I am just about ready to get going down to the big city. AND, I'm leaving plenty of tummy room for SUSHI :nod: . I'll have my cell on & charged 307-875-1445. yeah, it's still my business phone so don't be surprised if I answer 'Greyhair Bike Repair' :ne_nau:

blueeyes
02-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Wooohoo! Looking forward to sushi tonight and some sake!

Bugs sorry you can't snowshoe with us... see you at dinner tomorrow night!

KapitanSparrow
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a chance to make a few $ helping out with some painting so I won't be joining you guy for sushi :-/ I'll see you at the dinner and/or bar tomorrow.

tallsteve
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm going to have to bail. I had to have the front driveline in my Jeep rebuilt and just got it back so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow (hopefully after a quick, close x-country ski trek early morning!). Have fun!

blueeyes
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Great Kapitan... you will have extra cash.. so nice of ya to buy us all dinner at Bohemian. :lol8:

Sorry about your Jeep TallSteve maybe next time!

Sombeech
02-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm renting snowshoes at Canyon Sports in Riverdale, 13 bucks a day. I'll be coming down with Big Red

Cirrus2000
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll be coming down with Big Red
I'm sure you can get a cream for that. Talk to your doctor.

Don
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
So, the road is closed about 4 miles short of the trailhead to Diamond Fork hotspring. We did it anyway but our planned 4 mile day was a little more than 12 miles! And now we're going to be pretty late to sushi.
We had a great time though! Pictures soon!

Sombeech
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I'll be coming down with Big Red
I'm sure you can get a cream for that. Talk to your doctor. :haha:

abirken
02-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Missed some of you today AND tonite! Don and I had a freakin' great hike up to the hot springs today. Took about 8 miles longer than anticipated due to a road closure but was so worth it. And dinner was fabulous at Sapas even though we arrived late (damn long hike). YUM YUM! So great to hang with Wade, Chere, Heather, Joe and Don. Finally got to meet the infamous DeathCricket- YAY!!!! Bought time. Having a blast. :2thumbs:

Bugs
02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
That's weird, how'd you get Don to do that? He's usually so shy and reserved!

Sombeech
02-06-2010, 07:18 AM
:lol8:

Hey, so I'm wondering what to wear today. Is it fine to just wear denim pants, or should I go warmer?

Also, what shoes did you guys wear? Are regular hiking shoes ok, or did those get cold?

Don
02-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Depends on the weather. I wore hiking pants (with poly base layer) & hiking shoes yesterday. But expecting deeper snow so I'll likely wear snow pants & snow boots today.
I like hiking shoes though; lighter & easier, but they might get cold. Maybe add neo-socks & gaitors...?

Sombeech
02-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Snow pants huh? K, I'll bring some along. Thanks.

I was able to borrow some snowshoes from a friend. I'm heading out in about 20 minutes. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
02-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I won't be making it to dinner tonight as expected.

Today was a lot of fun. Thanks guys.

I've posted my pictures in the SnowShoeing section here:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20238

KapitanSparrow
02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
hey,when are you going t.o join me at The bar named Sue?

abirken
02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
UTOH! We never made it to the bar Kapitan. :ne_nau: We were all super tired and ended up going home after dinner. Wished we could have seen you at the Bohemian though!! :cry1:

blueeyes
02-07-2010, 11:16 AM
hey,when are you going t.o join me at The bar named Sue?

Ooooh I tried calling you but I no longer have your correct number. Sorry we missed you.

Sombeech
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Moving this to the snowshoeing forum. :cool2:

Sombeech
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
...make that the Unplugged forum...

greyhair biker
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
anyone have a recommendation for where I can go to get snowshoes? I know REI does and a few other sports stores but I'm talking to experts here that I trust so I'm open to suggestions :nod:

xxnitsuaxx
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Rec Outlet in AF had their MSR snowshoes on special last week. I don't remember the prices but it would be worth calling on.

Riseforms
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
You can get 25% off any order at canyons sports online in February. I know very little about snowshoes though, so I couldn't tell you if they have any good ones.

abirken
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
GHB- Tubbs really are the only option for snow shoes in my opinion. Mine have lasted over 10 years and are still rocking. You may spend a little bit more than the other brands, but they are WORTH IT. Check out:

http://tubbssnowshoes.com/

:2thumbs: :nod:

Joe Gardner
02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Heather and I went with Northern Lites. 2000 lbs less to lift over every mile!

http://www.northernlites.com/

greyhair biker
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I liked the way yours & Heathers' held up and I like the Tubbs - I am torn - I will have to check 'em both out again. :2thumbs: