PDA

View Full Version : Sat Phone-Spot

moab mark
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Over on the Larry Canyon thread we were having a discussion about spots and sat phones. I thought I would put these post in a new thread.

I copied these over:

The issues with a sat phone is like I stated before, you have to be out in the open. They will not get reception in a slot canyon. When the spot came out I contacted Globalstar to get the scoop. Spot is only sending a one way message, much easier to get to go thru. Sat phones need multiple sats while you are making a phone call. But if your out in the open just like talking on a cell phone. To give a better understanding of what would be considered out in the open would be the channel at Powell. I have a garmin 60 gps. When my gps is hitting all sats my phone will usually work.

I just remembered getting a note with my bill about texting on my phone. I wonder if a text would go out like spot does? One way transmission. I do not currently pay for texting but ill give them a call.

I called Globalstar today to see what was available. Here's the scoop on spot and Globalstars Sat Phone.

Globalstar sells space to spot on their network. Spot is on a Simplex network (one way transmission).
Their Sat phones are on a seperate duplex network. Texting is not available on the phone but can receive text messages from your computer? :ne_nau:

The small gsp 1700 sat phone is about $900. Plans range from about $30 and up. I have had one of their phones for about 8-10 years. I am on a old plan of $19.00 per month 30 minutes. The old phone use to be pretty big, when the new small one came out they gave us a deal to trade in the brick and get the new small one for $350. But now they have gotten a little pricey.

I can see some advantages to the spot where it may make a transmission when a sat phone hasn't got a chance. But when you want to order pizza and have it delivered to the Freeze Fest the Sat Phone would be the way to go. Especially if Tom brings his plastic card.:2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
But when you want to order pizza and have it delivered to the Freeze Fest the Sat Phone would be the way to go. Especially if Tom brings his plastic card.:2thumbs:

biggest issue I see with the sat phone is this - no one will deliver pizza to anywhere south of green river. i know, it's bullshit. tried to rectify it many times, but for some reason, the companies seem to think it won't be profitable... :ne_nau:

seriously though? you have way too much money. sat phone is out of the question simply for size restrictions for most of us, let alone costs. better to invest in a survival/rescue course, increase your skills, and let the spot handle the emergencies...

moab mark
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
But when you want to order pizza and have it delivered to the Freeze Fest the Sat Phone would be the way to go. Especially if Tom brings his plastic card.:2thumbs:

biggest issue I see with the sat phone is this - no one will deliver pizza to anywhere south of green river. i know, it's bullshit. tried to rectify it many times, but for some reason, the companies seem to think it won't be profitable... :ne_nau:

seriously though? you have way too much money. sat phone is out of the question simply for size restrictions for most of us, let alone costs. better to invest in a survival/rescue course, increase your skills, and let the spot handle the emergencies...

If you tell them Tom's AMEX card is platinum they'll fly it in. :nod:

On the Sat phone. The size now is not a big deal. 7oz. The main reason for having the phone for me is not for rescues. Years ago I was not able to go play (snowmobile) comfortably for several days a week without being able to be in contact with work. This is basically why I got a sat phone. Head to ...... no one at work knows I'm gone. About 10 call my voice messages, no messages keep one rockin. Messages call. If you knew how many conversations I have had where my employees thought I was right down the road. :haha: Caller Id has caused me some trouble though. :frustrated: Best investment I ever made. I know it sucks to have to be tied to work like that but I really don't work I just have to be able to put out fires when they arise. Just ask my wife she always ask me if I would get a JOB. But for $19 per month would not ever give it up.
Oh there is one other thing I forgot to mention that Globalstar mentioned. If you push 4# will give you your long and lat.

Here's there site if you want to check it out.

http://www.globalstarusa.com/en/content.php?cid=105

Mark

CarpeyBiggs
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
On the Sat phone. The size now is not a big deal. 7oz. The main reason for having the phone for me is not for rescues.

wow! i stand corrected. i've never seen one that small. the ones we use in alaska are very bulky, maybe a pound and a half? and seem kind of fragile, we keep them in pelican cases for protection.

p.s. when i grow up i wanna be moab mark... any chevrons for sale??? :lol8:

moab mark
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
This from a guy who gets to hang out in alaska just for fun. Then travels around livin the dream in a nissan.

CarpeyBiggs
12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
This from a guy who gets to hang out in alaska just for fun. Then travels around livin the dream in a nissan.

and i was really having fun right up until this week, when the shit hit the fan. :frustrated:

Alex
12-15-2009, 07:19 AM
and i was really having fun right up until this week, when the shit hit the fan. :frustrated:

What happened?

mdd
12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Be careful with Globalstar phones. A few years ago they figured out that their satellite constellation for voice communications was degrading faster than they had planned, resulting in outages and poor quality. It got bad enough that many sat phone rental outfits won't rent Globalstar phones until it is fixed. I don't think it impacts data communication (used by the Spot). I believe they plan to start launching replacement satellites next year.

We've used Iridium phones and liked them. At least until Globalstar gets their act together, they are MUCH more reliable in the field. My wife has used them in trips to Grand Gulch, as have other friends who teach wilderness classes. Reception can be spotty in the canyons, even in wider areas. I've read somewhere that for some inexplicable reason, sat phone users have reported connection issues around southern Utah/northern AZ. Go figure.

I wouldn't buy a Spot. Those things are notorious for bad quality, for many reasons. If you want to kill an hour, read the reviews at REI.com. Even the good reviews are bad... "it works great, you just have to leave it sitting on its back with an unobstructed view of the sky for 20 minutes to connect. 5 stars!" Uh, no thanks. The Spot uses the Globalstar satellite network, fwiw.

If I were to get some sort of emergency device, a 406 Mhz PLB (ACR, and others) is the way to go. A while back I read about an interesting experiment testing these in narrow (slot) canyons. While they usually didn't have enough satellites in view to transmit a location, they usually at least were able to get a distress signal out. Combine that with someone who knows where you are, and your chances of survival have increased dramatically.

M

Iceaxe
12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Mr. Dallin - Welcome to Bogley. :2thumbs:

It's always nice to see anther talented and knowledgable canyoneer drink the Kool-aid. :bert:

CarpeyBiggs
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
for those with spots, I did some tinkering today to get a map to work that will show my location that I can embed into any webpage (well, except bogley.) kinda cool, especially if you wanted to make a page with SAR contact details for those who are interested.

here's what it looks like -

http://www.danransom.com/pages/personal3.html

any time I update now, it will automatically update that image with a new location. kinda cool, really.

edit - i made this one to track locations, which you can do without paying for SPOT's lame service... pretty cool stuff, IMO. and totally free.

CarpeyBiggs
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
or, how it works in a blog setting here - http://wheretheheckisdan.blogspot.com/

this one does not show tracking.

ratagonia
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
or, how it works in a blog setting here - http://wheretheheckisdan.blogspot.com/

this one does not show tracking.

Wow, you get coverage down there!!! Not SPOT coverage, that's normal, but G3 coverage?

T (sooooo early 000s)

CarpeyBiggs
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
hahaha. i changed my location around manually from a web interface (not connected to spot) to see what it could do.

basically, you use the spot website to link your spot to a program called fire eagle, which can then send out your details to another program that builds the html code for tracking and displaying the map.

it's the long way around trying to do what SPOT does not do very well. i'm actually kinda pleased i figured it out. not sure if anyone else is doing this without paying spot to do it. maybe they are. either way, might prove useful.

:lol8:

the more amazing thing is i made it from sandthrax to bullfrog in like 138 seconds. boo yah!

Brian in SLC
12-20-2009, 08:32 AM
FYI...

"Spot LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers, therefore, Spot LLC will be conducting a voluntary return on any new model SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT 2) purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specifications."

http://www.findmespot.com/exchange/

-Brian in SLC

trackrunner
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
noticed big 5 sporting goods is selling generation 1 spot for $50 after rebate if anyone is interested

Alex
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
hahaha. i changed my location around manually from a web interface (not connected to spot) to see what it could do.

basically, you use the spot website to link your spot to a program called fire eagle, which can then send out your details to another program that builds the html code for tracking and displaying the map.

it's the long way around trying to do what SPOT does not do very well. i'm actually kinda pleased i figured it out. not sure if anyone else is doing this without paying spot to do it. maybe they are. either way, might prove useful.

:lol8:

the more amazing thing is i made it from sandthrax to bullfrog in like 138 seconds. boo yah!

I got it to work with Facebook, using Fire Eagle as well. It worked pretty good.

http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?action=showEntry&data=68