PDA

View Full Version : Police call disappearance of West Valley woman suspicious

accadacca
12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Who has been following this story? I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but boy did this husband look bad in this interview: http://connect2utah.com/content/video/?cid=66341

Police call disappearance of West Valley woman suspicious
December 9th, 2009 @ 10:03pm

WEST VALLEY CITY -- Police are now calling the case of a missing West Valley woman suspicious.

Susan Powell's family of four disappeared over the weekend. Now her husband, Josh Powell, and two small children have resurfaced, but 28-year-old Susan is nowhere to be found.

Investigators say circumstances surrounding Susan's disappearance are now considered suspicious because no one knows or will say where she is. Her father says his daughter wouldn't just leave without telling anyone.

"Please contact us. Please let us know you're OK," Susan's father, Charles Cox, pleaded Wednesday. KSL News talked to Cox on the phone from his home in Washington State.
Susan Powell

"She's a very outgoing and positive person," Cox said. "And it's very odd that she would be missing in that way that she's missing."

On Wednesday afternoon, police served a search warrant at Susan's home because that was the last place anyone saw her.

Cox says Susan and Josh had a friend over for dinner Sunday evening. He says around 5 p.m., Susan said she wasn't feeling well and went to lie down.

Neighbors say that's when Josh took their two boys, who are 2 and 4 years old, sledding. They say a friend saw Josh back at the home at 8:30 p.m.

Cox says Josh reportedly took the kids camping overnight Sunday night, but police have not confirmed his whereabouts.

Josh's parents called police Monday when the kids didn't show up at day car, and neither Josh nor Susan showed up at work.

Officers broke into the home, smashing in the front window, thinking possibly they had been poisoned by carbon monoxide. But no one was home, and the couple's only vehicle -- a minivan -- was missing.

Josh returned home with the kids Monday night, but Susan was nowhere to be found. Her father says her cell phone and purse were still at home.

On Tuesday afternoon, Cox says Josh called him.

"He just told me that she was missing, and he was, it sounded, a little broken up, was broken up about it, so I don't know," Cox says.

Family and friends say they fear the worst, because Susan would never leave her kids.

"[We] just want her home," Susan's friend Jennie Hansen says. "Her boys need -- she has two little boys that need their mom."
Josh Powell

"You know how you get when you know somebody, just get scared for her," neighbor Bettie Trujillo says. "I even hate to think what happened, and I'm just worried about those boys. What have they seen? What did they have to go through?"

Police interviewed Josh Wednesday morning, but won't release any details about the interview -- only saying they have a lot more questions than answers.

"It's extremely strange. We have a lot of questions. We, right now, aren't getting a lot of answers," says West Valley police Lt. Tom McLachlan.

Police won't say exactly where Josh told them he's been for several days or what he says about his still missing wife. Neighbors told KSL off camera the couple has had marital problems in the past, but things were getting better.

Right now, all police are saying is they have not made any arrests, and they are trying to verify Josh's whereabouts.

"We're just as frustrated as everybody else," McLachlan says. "We want to find out where she is, make sure she is safe, find out what the circumstances are, and it's getting a little difficult to do that."

Susan's friend Kiirse Hellewell started a Facebook page to spread the word about Susan's disappearance. She hopes others will too.

"Somebody, I hope, has seen something that will help find her again," Hellewell says. "I hope it's not too late, but we just need to find her."

Susan Powell is 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 130 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. If anyone has any information about her whereabouts, you're asked to call the West Valley Police Department at 801-840-4000.

accadacca
12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
WEST VALLEY CITY -- Five days after a West Valley City woman disappeared, her father has now come to Utah. He's pleading for the safe return of his daughter: 28-year-old Susan Powell.

Charles Cox is frustrated and heartbroken over Susan's disappearance. He flew in to Salt Lake City Friday night from his home in Washington to meet with police and all of Susan's friends who are praying for her safe return.
Susan Powell

"It's tough. You don't know," Cox says. "They're grown, married; they're on their own, but it's still your daughter."

He says he's on an emotional rollercoaster. At first he was told police were searching for his daughter and her entire family. But on Tuesday, her husband, Josh Powell, reappeared with the couple's two children. Susan, however, is still missing.

"It's almost five days now, and it's cold. So if she's outside, her time is either running out or has," Cox says.

Josh told police Susan went to bed Sunday night, and he took their two young boys -- ages 1 and 4 -- camping in Utah's West Desert along the Pony Express trail, in an area called Simpson Springs.

West Valley officers say they scoured the area and found no trace of Josh's campsite, but doesn't mean he wasn't.

"What we were doing yesterday was attempting to verify where he told us he went camping, to make sure what he is saying to us is accurate," says Capt. Tom McLachlan, with the West Valley City Police Department. "Unfortunately there has been a snow storm out there between then and now, and so any physical trace has been covered by snow, and we have not been able to locate anything."

McLachlan says the area where Josh claims he camped the night Susan disappeared is a very remote, very desolate location. He says police did use dogs to search the area, but said there was no sign of Susan.

At a candlelight vigil friends organized for Susan Thursday night, Josh refused to answer questions about his wife. Police say he has given them little information about Susan's disappearance.

The couple has only one vehicle, which Josh says he took. Susan left her cell phone and purse at home.

"Is he a suspect? No. He's not a suspect," McLachlan says. "Is he a person of interest? We have many people we are interested in. We do hope to and intend to re-interview him again."

In addition to another police interview, police told KSL News they also have an interest in looking at interviews Josh did with several media outlets on Thursday.

In addition, police are still in the process of interviewing Susan's family, friends and neighbors. Detectives say those interviews with neighbors have yielded talk of arguments between Josh and Susan. Still, they said police have never responded to the home on domestic violence calls.

Meanwhile, Susan's father is trying not to believe his son-in-law harmed his daughter. But with every day that passes, his suspicions and fears grow.

"I can't give up hope," he says.

Cox says Josh and Susan have been married for eight years, and while they've had their ups and downs, he says he thought things were going well between them. He says he hasn't been able to speak in detail with Josh about Susan or his camping trip.

Cox also wants to thank everyone who has helped search for Susan.

If you have any information about Susan Powell, you're asked to contact the West Valley City Police Department at 801-840-4000.

BruteForce
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Pretty sad. No doubt he (husband) had something to do with it. The story just doesn't jive.

Who takes kids that young camping in sub-zero temps and then has no clue where his wife is at?

..went to see 2012 (the movie) today at Jordan Landing and came out to flyers everywhere (including my truck) for her..

I hope she's found.

asdf
12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Pretty sad. No doubt he (husband) had something to do with it. The story just doesn't jive.

People said that same thing about the husband of that woman who was murdered a few months ago in their home. Ended up she was a killed by an 18 year old neighbor who was looking for cash to score some coke.

Sure camping in the cold sounds fishy but people on this board do it all the time. I will be interested to see how this one plays out while trying to stay away form the KSL comments board (cause I cant afford to lose any more IQ points).

Udink
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Sure camping in the cold sounds fishy but people on this board do it all the time.
I agree on the camping thing...not at all implausible. But he missed work on Monday because he thought it was Sunday? Pretty fishy to me...

asdf
12-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Sure camping in the cold sounds fishy but people on this board do it all the time.
I agree on the camping thing...not at all implausible. But he missed work on Monday because he thought it was Sunday? Pretty fishy to me...

You right, it is.

It always stirs me up when you see someones life being completely destroyed by media reporting. I think people tend to forget that the purpose of the media is just to fill in the blanks between the commercials. I am not defending the guy or anything but this hits close to home for me because I go camping a lot and sometimes spur of the moment. If I came home and my wife was just gone I would be freaking out and I can just see how someone in this delicate state of mind could paint them selfs into a corner.

I really hope she is found safe.

accadacca
12-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I will be interested to see how this one plays out while trying to stay away form the KSL comments board (cause I cant afford to lose any more IQ points).
Good one. :haha:

BruteForce
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM

You right, it is.

It always stirs me up when you see someones life being completely destroyed by media reporting. I think people tend to forget that the purpose of the media is just to fill in the blanks between the commercials. I am not defending the guy or anything but this hits close to home for me because I go camping a lot and sometimes spur of the moment. If I came home and my wife was just gone I would be freaking out and I can just see how someone in this delicate state of mind could paint them selfs into a corner.

I really hope she is found safe.

Well, while I might go snow shoeing or ATV'ing in a blizzard in sub-zero temps, I would NEVER take young kids with me. Dude's story is pure BS!

jman
12-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I will be interested to see how this one plays out while trying to stay away form the KSL comments board (cause I cant afford to lose any more IQ points).

haha. I know exactly what you mean by this. Good ol' KSL boards. So frustrating sometimes. hehe

James_B_Wads2000
12-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I think people tend to forget that the purpose of the media is just to fill in the blanks between the commercials.

:haha: That is a really funny quote. I would replace media with local news.

James

accadacca
12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh...."Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, said police found a wet spot in the house being dried by two fans when they entered. McLachlan declined to comment."

Husband of missing Utah woman retains attorney
December 14th, 2009 @ 12:48pm

By BROCK VERGAKIS and JENNIFER DOBNER
Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The husband of a 28-year-old woman who went missing a week ago without taking her purse or cell phone has retained an attorney.

Well-known Salt Lake City defense attorney Scott Williams said Monday he has been retained by Josh Powell, whose wife Susan Powell was reported missing Dec. 7.

Williams often represents high-profile defendants in criminal cases. Among his recent clients are Wanda Eileen Barzee, who has pleaded guilty to federal charges in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping, and Christopher Jeppson, one of two men charged in the 1995 murder of Utah County teenager Kiplyn Davis.

Williams declined to say when he was retained and when Powell was going to be questioned again.

Josh Powell told police last week that he left his wife and took his boys, ages 2 and 4, on a camping trip around 12:30 a.m. Dec. 7 in subfreezing temperatures.

Authorities were notified the family was missing when neither Susan nor Josh reported to work and their children were not dropped off at daycare.

Police said Josh Powell told them that he and his children slept in a van and returned home about 5 p.m.

Police said they haven't been able to verify the camping trip because snow had covered the site _ Simpson Springs on the historic Pony Express Trail in Utah's west desert.

West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan said the Powell home was locked when police arrived and they broke in, fearing the family had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning. They found no signs of forced entry.

Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, said police found a wet spot in the house being dried by two fans when they entered. McLachlan declined to comment.

McLachlan said 30 detectives have been working on the case, fielding dozens of tips and leads.

"Some of them appear to be relatively informative, and some of them are pretty wild," he said.

Sombeech
12-14-2009, 12:34 PM

But they post trip reports and they'd better damn well show pictures. :haha:

BruteForce
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
And I just caught this:

took his boys, ages 2 and 4, on a camping trip around 12:30 a.m. Dec. 7 in subfreezing temperatures.

Who takes off in sub-zero temps at 12:30am?

devo_stevo
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
People who need to get the carpet dry......Mold from wet carpets can be very bad for people with allergies to these things. Especially small children.

accadacca
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Interview with a neighbor. Strange stuff: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9029772 Who knows? :ne_nau:

DiscGo
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Interview with a neighbor. Strange stuff: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9029772

Interesting.

I know it is unlikely but I sure hope that that woman is found and found alive.

Don
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Man, I thought this was going in a different direction:

Don
12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Creepy. Be interesting to see how it plays out but she's gone.

JP
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
He killed her :popcorn:

Ih8grvty
12-16-2009, 08:52 AM

People said that same thing about the husband of that woman who was murdered a few months ago in their home. Ended up she was a killed by an 18 year old neighbor who was looking for cash to score some coke.

Sure camping in the cold sounds fishy but people on this board do it all the time. I will be interested to see how this one plays out while trying to stay away form the KSL comments board (cause I cant afford to lose any more IQ points).

I will give you that people do it all the time, I would guess a higher percentage of this board than most forums do it often.
That week with the arctic air and temps in the city below zero, did any of you head out camping ? How many would of had time allowed?
Of those that would have, how many would of taken children that young out in that air, at simpson springs?
Ever been there?
desolate hole. I got stuck not far from there once, took me over 8 hours to dig my truck out and get on solid ground again, there is nothing there, no help, rarely a car, and thats in summer.
If he did take kids that young out alone in hose conditions he should be evaluated as a parent as he is an idiot.

Iv done alot of winter camping in a tent, he says they slept in the van. Iv done that too, I would not do it with kids that young. WInter camping i have never left well after dark to drive that far and set up camp. Who the hell does that to make smores at 1 am with children that should be in bed hours earlier?
That they were reported missing and the cops broke in to the house to check up on them before he returned and told his story, and found a wet spot in the carpet with fans blowing on it but no one home only adds to the suspicion. That they had to get a search warrant to look in the home after his return? that he misses interviews with the police and retains a high profile lawyer, and refuses to talk to anyone....
Just saying if it was me and my wife disappeared, they would not need a warrant, I would not skip interviews as Id be at the station till she was found, always available to talk to them in case something i said helped find her.
And WHO would be dumb enough to leave 2 fans unattended over night? know how many fires start because of a fan left running?
Maybe he did not do it, maybe all he said is true, but it sure as hell looks like he knows something.

CarpeyBiggs
12-16-2009, 09:00 AM
well, since we are playing a real-life game of clue, here's my take -

he cooked her dinner. poisoned her. friend came over and the crocheted for awhile. she got sick, had to go lay down. friend left. she vomited on the floor. he then tells her they are going to the "e.r." takes her to the desert. dumps her somewhere in the arctic air. camps with the kids. makes s'mores. forgets what day it is. comes home and police are already on the case, which he did not suspect would happen so quckly. the complexity of it all has him stumped. can't figure out what to do or say.

he probably comes across as an idiot because he isn't that smart. maybe he is mentally ill? maybe he does poorly in interviews because he honestly doesn't remember, because his head ain't right.

asdf
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM

I will give you that people do it all the time, I would guess a higher percentage of this board than most forums do it often.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that people jump to conclusions and are very quick to judge before they know any real facts.

Example - http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6586698

WEST VALLEY CITY -- Investigators continued to search for possible evidence the day after a young mother's body was discovered in her West Valley City home.

Saturday police released the woman's identity. She is 33-year-old Kimberly Hain. Preliminary autopsy results show she died from blunt force trauma to the head and face with an unknown object.

Police are going over everything in her home, located in a quiet cul-de-sac at 6600 West and 3320 South, hoping to find the object that was used to kill her. They also have plans to re-interview her husband, although they say he is not a suspect right now.

Some of the comments from KSL -
- Tough case,,,,,,I'll have to do some work on this one. hummmm

- who would have access to the home without breaking in, and who wouldn't attract the attention of neighborhood dogs, and who wouldn't cause a noisy reaction of a woman surprised to find someone in the house? Maybe someone VERY CLOSE to the family? Maybe PART of the family?

- No doubt in my mind that the person responsible for this death, knew the victim. It is VERY rare for a "stranger" to walk into a "stranger's" house and beat them for no reason....I'm sure the Police will wrap this up within 30 days.

- - Looks like the hubby came home for lunch, took care of business, then made his way back to work! If only he hadn't found out about his wife's boyfriend!

So while her husband was tried, convicted, and ready to be crucified the police found 18-year-old neighbor who beat hear to death with a bat.

Ih8grvty
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
9 of 10 times its the husband, thats just history.
and in that case (the 18 year old with a bat) I for one never said the husband did it, but you can bet I thought he might be connected.

jfeiro
12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Police call husband 'person of interest' in missing woman case
December 16th, 2009 @ 10:51am

WEST VALLEY CITY -- The husband of a missing West Valley City woman now is being called a person of interest in the case, that's according to West Valley City Assistant Police Chief Craig Black.

Police say Josh Powell is one of several persons of interest.

Black also says he wouldn't characterize Powell as "cooperative."

Police are also talking a little bit more about having him submit DNA samples. Detectives call it a "preemptive" move in case those samples are ever needed.

Josh Powell met with police late Tuesday and answered some "basic questions" about his wife, 28-year-old Susan Powell, who has been missing since Dec. 7.

Detectives had expressed frustration that he was hindering the investigation after he did not show up for an interview Monday, on the advice of his attorney, Scott C. Williams. Williams told the Salt Lake Tribune he needed time to gather information so he could advise his client.

Susan Powell was reported missing Dec. 7 when she didn't show up to work and her children weren't dropped off at day care. Josh Powell told police he took his two boys camping in the west desert around 12:30 a.m. that day and returned in the evening.

asdf
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I thought he might be connected.

its cool.. just sayin'

I mean your right... looks pretty bad for this guy. It will be interesting to see how this plays out once some real evidence is released.

Ih8grvty
12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I thought he might be connected.

its cool.. just sayin'

I mean your right... looks pretty bad for this guy. It will be interesting to see how this plays out once some real evidence is released.

Sorry, you misread what I intended to write and took it as it was written instead of how I thought it :ne_nau:

WHat I had meant is till that point I had thought that the HUSBAND was connected, I knew nothing of the kid next door.

asdf
12-16-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9054100

Marini said after a road trip with the Powells she became so disgusted with the way Josh treated Susan that she didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore, but she kept in contact with Susan through Facebook and e-mail.

For the record.... if something like this ever happens to me don't believe any quotes from my facebook contacts. :roflol:

Don
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9054100

Marini said after a road trip with the Powells she became so disgusted with the way Josh treated Susan that she didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore, but she kept in contact with Susan through Facebook and e-mail.

For the record.... if something like this ever happens to me don't believe any quotes from my facebook contacts. :roflol:

:roflol:

accadacca
12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
This guy has never acted like he gave a crap about his wife. I remember Mark Hacking at least helping volunteers pass out flyers. He also put up a decent acting job for the TV cameras. This Powell guy has acted very strange for someone that just lost his wife of 8 years. Sad deal.

WEST VALLEY CITY -- West Valley police are now calling the husband of a missing woman one of several persons of interest in the case. They say they now suspect foul play.

"As we investigate this missing person's case, we're interested in what Josh has to say. We believe he has information and details about Susan that no other person could have to help us locate her," West Valley City Assistant Police Chief Craig Black said Wednesday.

Josh Powell a person of interest

Black said police still have no leads as to where 28-year-old Susan Powell may be.

"Every lead we've been offered so far would leave us to believe this is out of character, and thus suspect foul play is involved," he said. "Josh's unusual lack of cooperation for a husband looking for his wife with the police department, you know, it certainly causes us to ask questions as to why would he do things to exclude the resources that we can bring to the table to find Susan."

Black also said investigators are treating her disappearance as a criminal investigation. He also said if evidence presents itself to confirm that, Josh Powell would become a key suspect.

"I don't know what to believe about Josh. I don't know what he does know and what he doesn't know," Black said. "He's made comments to the media like he doesn't know where she is, but as far as making specific comments to the police department, [more] than just general questions that would help identify her if she were found, we've been unable to be specific with him about those kinds of details."

On the day his wife was reported missing, Josh Powell has told police he was camping in Simpson Springs on the historic Pony Express Trail in Utah's West Desert -- an area of thousands of square miles that is now covered in snow. Among other things, Josh Powell hasn't specified where he went camping or where he was all day on Dec. 7.

"That would be awesome if he would be willing to cooperate on that level and take us to his campsite," Black said.

On Tuesday, police took DNA samples from Josh Powell. Detectives called it a "preemptive" move in case those samples are ever needed. They also conducted a brief interview after he failed to show up for a scheduled interview Monday. Police said they got only basic information from him.

Josh Powell had been advised by his newly-retained attorney, Scott Williams, to hold off on talking to police Monday. Williams told the Salt Lake Tribune he needed time to gather information so he could advise his client.

KSL asked Williams Wednesday morning if he knew his client now is being called a person of interest, but Williams refused to talk about the case.

Josh Powell's sister speaks of disappearance

While Susan Powell's mysterious disappearance has frustrated investigators, it's the couples' family that has suffered the most.

"It's terrible. We have nightmares. We can't sleep," Josh Powell's sister, Jennifer Graves, said Wednesday. "I see her face in my mind, in my dreams. I'm sure that he does too."

Graves said her sister-in-law's disappearance has turned her family's world upside down. She said she believes something terrible has happened to Susan, because the mother of two would never have left her boys behind.

"That is the only explanation. She wouldn't have walked away, she just wouldn't have," Graves said. "I know that deep down inside. She wouldn't have walked away on her own."

While much of the public speculation has focused on Josh Powell, his sister said she hopes he is not involved in Susan Powell's sudden disappearance.

"I miss her," Graves said. "She's only been gone a week and a half, and I miss her already."

Powells had financial troubles

On Wednesday, KSL News also learned Susan and Josh Powell have also been having financial problems in the last couple of years.

Court documents show the Powells filed for bankruptcy in 2007. Josh Powell listed more than $200,000 in debt dealing with credit cards, furniture and student loans -- that number is not related to their mortgage.

Friends of the couple said Josh Powell lost his job about a year ago, but they thought things were getting better for them financially.

Meanwhile, police are still calling this a missing person case, but have treated it like a criminal investigation to preserve the integrity of it. Police said gathering DNA evidence is just a step in that process. ------

Story compiled with information from Jennifer Stagg , Shara Park , Andrew Adams and The Associated Press.

Video and full story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9050899

asdf
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
aw the KSL boards

accadacca
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
aw the KSL boards
:roflol:

Jaxx
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I used to watch Matlock with my mom when I would stay home sick from school :2thumbs:

Ih8grvty
12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I would be ashamed to know that was an episode of matlock. I certainly would not post that in public.

accadacca
08-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Bringing this one up from the dead. I guess the police have a lead in Ely, NV :ne_nau:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=16858047&autostart=y

accadacca
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Interesting... :popcorn:

Powells say police were looking for journals

"We came here looking for specific things, and some of those things we've been able to find," West Valley City police Lt. Bill Merritt said Thursday night, about six hours after investigators arrived at the house. He called the evidence collected "very, very important" to the investigation.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The husband and father-in-law of missing West Valley City woman Susan Cox Powell are speaking about a police search of the home they share in Puyallup, Wash.

West Valley police serving a search warrant took at least three computers and several boxes of materials from the home shared by Josh Powell and his father, Steve Powell, Thursday.

"We came here looking for specific things, and some of those things we've been able to find," West Valley City police Lt. Bill Merritt said Thursday night, about six hours after investigators arrived at the house. He called the evidence collected "very, very important" to the investigation.

Friday morning Josh Powell said detectives told him they were looking for Susan's journals - paper and digital copies. Steve Powell said they took his journals, plus video and photographs, as well.

He told KSL he didn't want police to have his journals because they contain "very embarrassing things." But he said the Powells offered police Susan's journals in 2010 and wanted investigators to have them. He claims they back up the Powells' claims about Susan's character.

Susan's father, Chuck Cox, told the AP that his daughter claimed years ago that "something had happened" with Steve Powell that made her uncomfortable. He said she didn't disclose the details.

"She said something about Steve had wanted her to be a common wife for him and Josh," Chuck Cox said. According to him, when Susan discussed the remark with Josh, he dismissed it as part of his father's penchant for saying outrageous things.

Chuck Cox said he believes his daughter's discomfort with her father-in-law was part of what motivated her to move her family to Utah from Washington.

Susan Powell's good friend, Kirssi Holewell, is defending Susan's character. She said Susan feared Steve Powell, that he tried to kiss her and mailed pornography to her after she moved to Utah. Holewell says she told police about it the week Susan disappeared, but she is speaking publicly now because of Steve Powell's allegations that he and Susan had a mutual flirtatious relationship.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in Susan's disappearance, but he has not been charged or detained. He was allowed to leave the area with their children as investigators went through the property Thursday.

Friday he told NBC's "Dateline" he hasn't hurt his wife.

Police said the plan to search Powell's home had been in the works for a while -- since before last week's search through abandoned mines in Nevada.

Former FBI agent Lou Bertram says the searches in Nevada and Washington indicate West Valley City police are taking a new course of action to get people who have information in the investigation to talk.

"They put the press on, full court press, and stay with it. I think somebody's going to start talking," he said.

Since police have publicly ramped up their investigation, the Powells have been talking to the press, making multiple appearances on news shows around the country.

Bertram says Josh's father, Steven Powell, has been trying to vilify Susan. That could be an attempt to deflect attention to and scrutiny of his son. Bertram also says the Powells' words will be closely analyzed.

"The pausing, the blinking - Josh a little hesitant, very guarded in his remarks," Bertram said.

He thinks police will keep the pressure on at this point, hoping someone will crack.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16974236

Iceaxe
08-26-2011, 09:05 AM
This is text book FBI behavioral science stuff (Criminal Minds if you are a TV fan)....

The cops want to annoy the hell out of Josh and Steven in the hope they will make a mistake or say something to the media/police they shouldn't.... the cops really don't have crap. They just put all this together at the some time (NV search, house search, problems with the in-laws) to apply tremendous pressure to the suspects. The cops are feeding the in-laws and anyone else they can find with material to release to the press and stir the shit. So long as the pot is being stired its good for the cops.

If Josh and his dad are smart they will refuse to talk with anyone and refer all questions to their lawyer, other wise the cops will just keep amping up the pressure and pouring gas on the fire.... of course the minute the Powell's refuse to talk the cops wil use the media to point a finger of guilty because they won't talk.

I'm not a big fan of this type of harassment.... what happened to innocent until proven guilty. What if it was you and you were actually innocent?

rockgremlin
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
This is text book FBI behavioral science stuff (Criminal Minds if you are a TV fan)....

The cops want to annoy the hell out of Josh and Steven in the hope they will make a mistake or say something to the media/police they shouldn't.... the cops really don't have crap. They just put all this together at the some time (NV search, house search, problems with the in-laws) to apply tremendous pressure to the suspects. The cops are feeding the in-laws and anyone else they can find with material to release to the press and stir the shit. So long as the pot is being stired its good for the cops.

If Josh and his dad are smart they will refuse to talk with anyone and refer all questions to their lawyer, other wise the cops will just keep amping up the pressure and pouring gas on the fire.... of course the minute the Powell's refuse to talk the cops wil use the media to point a finger of guilty because they won't talk.

I'm not a big fan of this type of harassment.... what happened to innocent until proven guilty. What if it was you and you were actually innocent?

Totally agree.

What will all of you judge-mongers have to say when his wife finally turns up halfway across the country, having fled from her husband/inlaws for whatever reason?

I hate this INNOCENT UNTIL ASSUMED GUILTY stance everyone takes.

jman
08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't see where we are making unfair assertions...

1) where's the harassment? From the police? They are following on leads. The harassment is from the public that want to vilify the guy, but thats a different story.

2) if iceaxes or rockgremlin's wife went missing, would they refuse to help with the investigation, refuse to go door to door looking for her, move away, and become a shut in. Surely that's what Josh did, and you can see at the very least, it's a little bit suspicious right? Surely you can agree with that.

3) more and more odd statements are coming forth, especially from Steven Powell. There is some definite motive there, and the police are still assuming he is innocent (hence that's why he wasn't detained, arrested, etc.). However, they are following the evidence. And if new evidence is provided, why not follow it?

And to your answer question, if it was my wife? If she ran away, well...I would still like to know if that was true and leave my 2 kids behind without a word.

Or...if she was attacked and either got wounded from the attack and Steve dumped her body in a mineshaft, or if she was killed due to Steve and his obsession with her - then I would still want to know. Lock my father away if he hurt my wife.

I don't know why you guys see this as harassment. That doesn't mean the police of course are perfect of course. However, when life or death is at stake, I think it's morally acceptable to step on toes a bit.

rockgremlin
08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
1) where's the harassment? From the police? They are following on leads. The harassment is from the public that want to vilify the guy, but thats a different story.

Iceaxe already described how the police operate. The public for the most part have vilified him, but most average citizens won't go as far as to seek him out in his place of residence and harass him. The media is the most aggressive offender when it comes to harassment IMO.

2) if iceaxes or rockgremlin's wife went missing, would they refuse to help with the investigation, refuse to go door to door looking for her, move away, and become a shut in. Surely that's what Josh did, and you can see at the very least, it's a little bit suspicious right? Surely you can agree with that.

Yes, I agree that behavior certainly is unexpected and abnormal I would say. And it certainly does nothing positive for his reputation.

3) more and more odd statements are coming forth, especially from Steven Powell. There is some definite motive there, and the police are still assuming he is innocent (hence that's why he wasn't detained, arrested, etc.). However, they are following the evidence. And if new evidence is provided, why not follow it?

I definitely agree that following up on new evidence is prudent and necessary. However, calling for a live press conference in Ely, Nevada and then boldly announcing that there is nothing new to report was uncalled for. All that did was shift the media's attention back on Josh when it wasn't necessary.

And to your answer question, if it was my wife? If she ran away, well...I would still like to know if that was true and leave my 2 kids behind without a word.

Yes I see your point and I would demand an explanation too......but then again, my wife and I are on good terms. I can see where it may be possible that Josh and Susan were on bad terms - so bad that they just co-existed in the same house. Under that pretense, it may be normal for Josh to show no remorse in her absence.

Or...if she was attacked and either got wounded from the attack and Steve dumped her body in a mineshaft, or if she was killed due to Steve and his obsession with her - then I would still want to know. Lock my father away if he hurt my wife.

I don't know why you guys see this as harassment. That doesn't mean the police of course are perfect of course. However, when life or death is at stake, I think it's morally acceptable to step on toes a bit.

Once again, I'm just giving Josh the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's innocent until overwhelming evidence proves the contrary - which is exactly what I would want for me if I were in his shoes. That said, I respectfully disagree that it is morally acceptable to harass or step on anybody's toes.

Don't get me wrong, if Josh comes out tomorrow and admits his guilt I'll be the first in line to throw rotten vegetables at his face as he stands shackled in the stocks. :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
08-26-2011, 09:02 PM
1) where's the harassment? From the police?

If my wife came up missing the last thing I would do is talk with the cops without my lawyer present, because the husband is always the number one "person of interest".

In the case of Josh the cops are not following leads.... they are manufacturing leads to apply pressure to Josh....that's a big difference. The cops have nothing, the case is cold, so the cops are stirring the pot in hopes that something will float to the surface.

If you believe the cops line about the timing of the NV search, the house search, the in-laws holding a rally, the accusation about the dad, just being accidental than you are an idiot. This was all well planned and executed.

FWIW: I know of two people in my life that were falsely accused and it ruined their lives....

The first was a guy who was accused of fondling an underage girl. 3 years later, after the poor guy had lost everything, including his life savings and house fighting the accusation, the girl admitted she made up the story.

The second was a guy that was accused of killing his wife. It took 5 years for the truth in that story to come out and the guy was innocent. But again the guys life was ruined. He also lost everything including his house and job.

trackrunner
08-26-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm not trying to defend this guy or his odd behavior but I will give an example that may help explain the other side.

I can't find the article, but early on in the Powell case, another Utah wife disappears found murdered case was cited by the media (possibly SL Trib) as potential example why Mr. Powell was no longer cooperating with the investigation.

If I recall correctly, (so forgive me if I got some piece wrong) in the other case the wife disappears later found dead. Police believe it's the husband and ask him to come in and answer questions telling him it's to help with the investigation, to help rule him out as any reason to be a suspect.

Bad mistake on his part because when they bring you in it's to get a confession. Marathon interrogation session goes on trying to intimidate the guy to confess. Eventually they let him go after something like 20+ hours with no confession. But they still want to talk the next days, probably to get a confession. Husband is the only suspect/person of interest and will no longer talk.

Eventually the case is cold and a new investigator looks at the evidence and determines the husband's alibi was true and that he had nothing to do with it.

But the problem was the lack of evidence that still needs to be discovered. Wife last seen with husband point A some event point b leads to the murder. The only person that could remotely shed light on point b, why someone killed her, is the husband and he will not talk because of the last time, despite now believed to not be connected.

granted this is an example of where odd behavior was reasonable for an innocent guy, there are plenty of examples where it's not reasonable and would lead someone to correctly suspect the individual. and foregive me if I got something wrong with the above story.

If my wife came up missing the last thing I would do is talk with the cops without my lawyer present, because the husband is always the number one "person of interest".

this reminds me of a famous case out of northfolk, va that was featured in a Frontline program (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/the-confessions/) worth the watch if you have the time. the men were not the woman's husband/boyfriend but it gives an idea how tough an integration can be.

A quick cliff notes version: 4 men confess to a murder that it turns out they didn't commit. each man was basically broke down psychologically and confessed because of the interrogation of one detective who is bent on sticking to his opinion/theory despite the evidence telling him these guys had nothing to do with it.

Interview with a different former detective claims & gives an example how he could break down anyone to confess. He also explains asking for a lawyer during an interrogation puts the pressure on the detective to get the confession then grant access.

A great quote from a defense lawyer in the above frontline program went something like this: it's a common misconception that the truly innocent don't need legal counsel for questioning because it would make it look like the person was hiding something or guilty. when in fact, in our legal system legal counsel is designed and especially needed to protect the truly innocent.

In the case of Josh the cops are not following leads.... they are manufacturing leads to apply pressure to Josh....that's a big difference. The cops have nothing, the case is cold, so the cops are stirring the pot in hopes that something will float to the surface.

like I wrote earlier I'm not defending mr. powell nor do I have my own opinion on who did it or a motive.

but I do like watching sporting events from the nose bled section so I can see formations and tactics. from this vantage point shane appears to be correct with the above statement.

and what floated to the surface were interviews that some would say are draging the mrs. powell's character in the mud. so the police execute on a search warrant at the home probably to try and disproved those interview statement and laying a case of a cover-up that would be useful when or if a time comes when charges could be filed against mr powell. that's how I see the play book.

Iceaxe
08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Ask any attorney and the one item they will all agree on is the Powell's are idiots at this point in the game for talking to the media, and they would be idiots if they talked with the police without an attorney present.

I'm with trackrunner on this in that I don't have a dog in this fight but I find entertainment value in watching the strategy and tactics of the different sides play out.

accadacca
09-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Search continues for Susan Powell in Delta