PDA

View Full Version : Bunnies

tallsteve
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Anybody been out after jacks yet this fall/winter? Particularly looking for trip reports for west of Utah lake, Cedar Valley or beyond. Hopefully rabbit numbers will be up from last year.

BruteForce
12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Anybody been out after jacks yet this fall/winter? Particularly looking for trip reports for west of Utah lake, Cedar Valley or beyond. Hopefully rabbit numbers will be up from last year.

Rabbits are VERY scarce now (along with Coyote) on the SW of Utah Lake. Used to be (last year) that I'd see dozens just hiking or ATV'ing in the area between 5Mile and Eureka. I've yet to see one all year long.

Seeing plenty of Coyote carcasses too, which should allow the jacks to come back a bit -- if the shooters will allow it. I've seen far more shooters (its really not hunting) out there the last few weeks - than I have rabbits.

DOSS
12-07-2009, 06:18 PM

I have been out that way looking.. Very little track to be found and nothing to be seen :(.. all my old rabbit hunting grounds seem to be thin to none right now :(

tallsteve
12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reports, dire as they are, but not surprising. I'll probably head out that way one of these Saturday's and see what I can scare up. Any hunting (or just hiking as the case may be this year) outing is better than sitting at home watching Chinese water polo on ESPN32!

DOSS
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reports, dire as they are, but not surprising. I'll probably head out that way one of these Saturday's and see what I can scare up. Any hunting (or just hiking as the case may be this year) outing is better than sitting at home watching Chinese water polo on ESPN32!

I thought that was only on ESPN 8 The Ocho.... boy was I wrong.. need to check my copy of OSQ (obscure sports quarterly) :2thumbs:

MY T PIMP
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I was just down near Loa and Kusheram cow elk hunting and there are rabbits and coyotes all over hell. I'm looking to make a trip down there. It's kind of far, but for that quality of hunting it dosen't bother me. The motels are cheap this time a year. :haha:

tallsteve
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
We headed out west this morning. We first tried a few miles past Lookout Pass and didn't scare up a single thing. Very, very few tracks even but we got in a good hike. We then tried the east side of the pass, right by the waterskiing 'pond' and jumped a few there. That was the only place with a decent amount of tracks. I think if we would have hit that spot earlier in the day we would have had more success. Oh, well. At least we were out doing something.

REDFOX
01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I shot a few Jackrabbits today. There were recent hunters in the area which made the rabbits extra wary. I saw 4 different hunting groups aswell.