PDA

View Full Version : Self-Esteem Attacks

DiscGo
12-05-2009, 05:46 AM
CrimeReports.com is a customer of mine. They work with local law enforcement across the country and with the National Sex Offender list to keep citizens aware of crime in the community and provide a means for the local law enforcement to organize and communicate with their city residents. What they do is actually really cool, and they are growing like crazy. Everyone there is really nice but I received a couple of comments there yesterday which would have killed me if I had a lower self esteem.

1) One of the guys who works there (VERY nice guy, but a little quirky) asked me if I wanted to see something crazy. I told him that I loved crazy things and then he showed me a picture of a guy that I deem disgusting (who is on the National Sex Offender's List) and told me that it was crazy how much I looked like that guy. YIKES!?! Am I actually much uglier than I realize?

2) I was underneath a woman's desk, and some guy said to her "That is a big guy under your desk". I asked him if he was calling me fat and he said that he was just commenting that I was a large guy in a very small space.

I was working there late Thursday night, and early Friday morning, so hopefully I was looking worse than usual... but not likely. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny.

apcronnelly
12-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Also being an Ohio State fan, the worst attack on our self esteem is when we play in a national championship game.

Cirrus2000
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
CrimeReports.com (http://CrimeReports.com) is a customer of mine. They work with local law enforcement across the country and with the National Sex Offender list to keep citizens aware of crime in the community and provide a means for the local law enforcement to organize and communicate with their city residents. What they do is actually really cool, and they are growing like crazy. Everyone there is really nice but I received a couple of comments there yesterday which would have killed me if I had a lower self esteem.

1) One of the guys who works there (VERY nice guy, but a little quirky) asked me if I wanted to see something crazy. I told him that I loved crazy things and then he showed me a picture of a guy that I deem disgusting (who is on the National Sex Offender's List) and told me that it was crazy how much I looked like that guy. YIKES!?! Am I actually much uglier than I realize?

2) I was underneath a woman's desk, and some guy said to her "That is a big guy under your desk". I asked him if he was calling me fat and he said that he was just commenting that I was a large guy in a very small space.

I was working there late Thursday night, and early Friday morning, so hopefully I was looking worse than usual... but not likely. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny.

1) No, you're not ugly. It's just funny how much we can generalize a pattern. A couple of similarly spaced or shaped features can make us see a stronger similarity than you would expect. People will often say that someone looks like someone famous - and hot, but do you think they're really saying that they are also one of the beautiful people? Nah, they're just saying they have one or two similar features. Normally, though, we don't compare features to people on whom they don't come together well. You might have a similar nose and jaw to someone whose eyes are googly and too close together, with snaggle teeth and a cro-magnon brow, but most people are couth enough to not mention it. Sounds like maybe this guy who spoke to you didn't have that filter installed.

2) You are a large guy. You've lost a lot of weight, but you'll never be a small guy. When you get under a desk, you are a large guy in a small space. :ne_nau: Don't be sensitive about it - I think you're overreacting to that. Also: be very careful about getting under a woman's desk - people will talk, especially if she's working at the time. Doubly especially if she's wearing a skirt.

KapitanSparrow
12-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Stop it! Just be happy you get to go under women's desks and they pay you for it. :roflol:

denaliguide
12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
1) No, you're not ugly. It's just funny how much we can generalize a pattern. A couple of similarly spaced or shaped features can make us see a stronger similarity than you would expect. People will often say that someone looks like someone famous - and hot, but do you think they're really saying that they are also one of the beautiful people? Nah, they're just saying they have one or two similar features. Normally, though, we don't compare features to people on whom they don't come together well. You might have a similar nose and jaw to someone whose eyes are googly and too close together, with snaggle teeth and a cro-magnon brow, but most people are couth enough to not mention it. Sounds like maybe this guy who spoke to you didn't have that filter installed.

2) You are a large guy. You've lost a lot of weight, but you'll never be a small guy. When you get under a desk, you are a large guy in a small space. :ne_nau: Don't be sensitive about it - I think you're overreacting to that. Also: be very careful about getting under a woman's desk - people will talk, especially if she's working at the time. Doubly especially if she's wearing a skirt.

kev, you are so nice. :haha:

disco, don't worry about it. your wife obviously loves your fat ugly self. that's all that matters.

self esteem is highly overrated.

Cirrus2000
12-05-2009, 01:51 PM

disco, don't worry about it. your wife obviously loves your fat ugly self. that's all that matters.

Yes! Yes I am.

In fact, all three paragraphs are true!

Self esteem wise, I think that these days, there has been a bit of a self esteem backlash. Have you seen some of the huge fat people that wear really skimpy things in photos and vids and stuff? They seem to be OK with who they are, but do they have to inflict it on everyone else? I think in some ways there's a little too much self esteem around.

Low self esteem is bad, but so is too much.

denaliguide
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
disco, i forgot to add. if you are under the desk make sure you have your butt crack spackeled shut. :lol8:

kev, did i miss one paragraph?

Don
12-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Got fired and ended up on the national sex offenders list last time I was under a woman's desk at work. :ne_nau:

:haha:

R
12-06-2009, 08:20 AM
People, please. The key word in self esteem is self. Nobody can give it to anyone else.

DiscGo
12-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks Kev. I love that you always have my back.

And just so you guys all know, my self-esteem isn't struggling, at all. I just thought those comments were funny to receive so close together.

Pelon1
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I only saw two.

http://www.writingfix.com/images/for_kids/three_fingers.jpg

Cirrus2000
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
kev, did i miss one paragraph?

The three paragraphs you wrote, Les:

and

and

Spaces between them: paragraphs. Three of 'em. All true. :2thumbs:

And DiscGo: :five:

Deathcricket
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Uh oh, this thread is giving me self esteem issues. I always thought we looked similar in appearance. Damn you!

DiscGo
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Uh oh, this thread is giving me self esteem issues. I always thought we looked similar in appearance. Damn you!

:roflol:

CarpeyBiggs
12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
And just so you guys all know, my self-esteem isn't struggling, at all.

that's good, because i always have said you look just like tim tebow. and i mean, he's like an all-american playboy or something.

:lol8:

http://bogley.com/forum/files/tebow.jpg

DiscGo
12-07-2009, 05:45 AM
:roflol:

Dan- I love that you photoshopped me in that picture with Tebow's girlfriend. Both because she is hot and the dedication to driving your opinion home.