PDA

View Full Version : Why is Windows 7 So Great?

James_B_Wads2000
11-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I got my hands on a free copy of Windows 7 Pro so I upgraded my home computer that was previously running Vista.

So my question is why is Windows 7 so great? I have only had it for a couple days and so far it doesn't seem much different that Vista. Another question might be why does everybody hate Vista? I am not very computer savvy and I can't tell why specifically people hate Vista so much.

Can some of you computer gurus explain it to me like I am a seven year old?http://btjdesign.com/emoticons/dummy.gif

James

Sombeech
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
The first thing I noticed right off the bat was it ran all of my old programs that Vista couldn't.

DiscGo
11-28-2009, 06:26 AM
The main reason why people hate\hated Vista is because when you upgrade from XP it seems A LOT slower because Vista is more robust and requires a lot more hardware to run correctly. Also compatibility. Every Windows Certified program that works on XP will work on Vista and Windows 7 but the problem is that most people just write their programs to work and don't bother with Windows Certification (for the cost and extra effort). So if you spend more money to "upgrade" to something that does not work as well (can't run your programs) and is (or at least seems) slower, it is very frustrating.

I have an awesome computer with Vista Business and I haven't had a single problem. But I also have means of updating my programs for free to newer versions which support Vista instead of losing what I had on XP. But for the record you won't find many (if any) PC gamers who prefer XP to Vista because XP only supports DirectX 9 and Vista support DirectX 10 (so the added detail brought to you while playing in Vista is awesome). Most anyone (including yourself) who has a good computer won't have issues with Vista, and PC enthusiasts generally like it.

Windows 7 has some really nice features, and nice compatibility features over Vista but mostly it just builds off of the good of Vista and brings some long awaited improvements. It took me about 2 months of Windows 7 to get used to how things work with the system tray \ quick launch toolbar (I had Beta and then the Release Candidate so I used Windows 7 at work for over a year and I didn't see a huge difference at first either). But once I got used to how things operated in 7 it was hard to go back to Vista or XP (in my mind XP was great, and I went back to XP from the RC of 7 and was surprised to find out that I was so unhappy with XP). XP is solid but 7 is (at least in my opinion) more intuitive and runs smoother.

I could go on with more advantages for IT pros with Windows 7 over Vista but really it is nothing that would probably interest you and nor is it Earth shattering. In the end I will upgrade to 7 on my home machine but Vista has been running just fine for me. The major improvements I have found in 7 just makes the whole OS more fluid.

Redpb
11-28-2009, 09:29 AM
what disco said.
For me, it seems to run smoother and quicker. Also, now I can open up my control panel. I always had a problem with vista, sometimes it would take 3 or 4 tries to get the control panel to open.

James_B_Wads2000
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Interesting food for thought. Thanks for the replies!

James