PDA

View Full Version : nutty putty cave

ammon1953
11-24-2009, 01:36 PM
hi guys. was on here years ago and made the mistake of using my real name. my fault.
i will be going to nutty putty cave in a couple of weeks. first time there. anything you wish you had known before going for the first time? anything you would have done differently?

DOSS
11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
if you haven't been before you need to get with a group leader ect.. all the info you need to access the cave and such can be found here

http://www.nuttyputtycave.com/

ammon1953
11-24-2009, 01:43 PM
we have our reservations and i understand some things have changed in the past year. for example, you cannot camp within 1 1/2 miles of the cave and you are limited as to how many people you can have in your group and how long you can stay.

off the cuff, some people have told me to wear a helmet. others have said to have blankets on the seats of the car afterwards, as it is very dirty.

that is the type of info i would really like to get from those who have been there before.

ammon1953
11-24-2009, 01:55 PM
okay, actually read the website you provided. thank you. that was very helpful

Scott Card
11-24-2009, 02:11 PM
hi guys. was on here years ago and made the mistake of using my real name. my fault. :ne_nau: Is there a rule about this. Looks like I am in trouble again.... Nuts! Oh and welcome back! :2thumbs:

ammon1953
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
scott - no rule that i know about.
i am really anti gun. never owned one, never shot one. someone disagreed with me and talked about how he would rape and murder my wife and daughters and there was nothing i could do about it. i doubt that he was serious, just trying to prove his point. but i became very uncomfortable with it. i am sure nothing like this happens now and am just glad to be back to get good info.
havasupai is my favorite place in the world and have pictures of me jumping off of navajo falls. unfortunately, with the floods last year, the river has been rerouted and navajo falls no longer exists. still went this past summer and still had a blast.

Don
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
scott - no rule that i know about.
i am really anti gun. never owned one, never shot one. someone disagreed with me and talked about how he would rape and murder my wife and daughters and there was nothing i could do about it. i doubt that he was serious, just trying to prove his point. but i became very uncomfortable with it. i am sure nothing like this happens now and am just glad to be back to get good info.

I'd be pretty nervous about that too, if I didn't have any guns at home. :)

Sorry, I got nothin if not inappropriate jokes.

Welcome! Hope you find the place more hospitable this time!

ammon1953
11-24-2009, 02:45 PM
don - i love the inappropriate jokes. just want to make sure they are jokes.

example: when my wife and i first started dating she asked me if i was a pedophile. to which i responded, "pedophile. that's a big word for a seven year old.":)

JP
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I vaguely remember something about that awhile back, welcome back anyways :2thumbs:

ammon1953
11-25-2009, 06:45 AM
i think i overreacted. it is over and time to move on and get good info.
watched "Touching the Void" again last night. love that movie.

Don
11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
i think i overreacted. it is over and time to move on and get good info.
watched "Touching the Void" again last night. love that movie.

Read that book in Iraq, passed it around to friends after I finished it. Amazing story.

ammon1953
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
i read the book first and then saw the movie. don't usually like to do that because the movies can never live up to books. but it was done as a documentary narrated by simon and joe with actors playing them when they did the climb. amazing story about the determination to live.

Alex
11-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Hope it wasn't your group.... :ne_nau:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8800398

UTAH COUNTY -- More than 30 rescuers are trying to reach a man stuck in the Nutty Putty Caves in Utah County.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office says the 26-year-old man was with a group of 11 people when he became lodged in a narrow part of a cave around 8:45 p.m. Tuesday. Friends called authorities around 9:30 p.m. saying the man was stuck and could move only a couple of inches.

A helicopter is on stand by and crews from Utah County and Orem City say it could be hours before they're able to free him.

The sheriff's office says the group had a permit to tour the caves.

People have become trapped in this area in the past, and crews have had to chip away at rock to free them.

ammon1953
11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
we're not going until the second weekend in december. so this was not us. however, watch the news then. we will probably have some embarrasing moment like this.

"scars are tattoos with better stories"

Don
11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
"scars are tattoos with better stories"

Nice. :haha:

ammon1953
11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
just added my avatar. hope it shows up. i am technologically challenged

Sombeech
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome back :2thumbs: