PDA

View Full Version : What are your Thanksgiving weekend plans?

accadacca
11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Thursday is turkey day so I'll be taking it easy at home with family and watching football. My wife and I decided to start our own traditions this year and have the feast at our place with our kids. Looking forward to it. Friday is supposed to be the warmest day so I am headed out to do some moto desert riding out west. Saturday I might put up Christmas lights and then its the big Utah @ BYU game in the afternoon. Sunday more rest.

Whacha all got planned? :popcorn:

Sombeech
11-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Skeet shooting thursday morning with the extended family, and then wishing I was in Southern Utah for the rest of the weekend.

CarpeyBiggs
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
heading up to alaska for a few weeks... -35 this week. sounds like fun! :eek2:

JP
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Looking forward to those pics :nod:

greyhair biker
11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
heading down wednesday to spend time with my boys before the 'DAY' so we can actually enjoy it...you know...the meal...company...little things like that. Thursday...honestly don't know what to expect. Big doings with a large large family, half of which doesnt talk to each other & then after the meal let it settle & go to another family gettogether for pie & talk. Did I mention that I'm bringing my bike so as to have an escape?? "..deep breaths...deep breaths....remember to breathe.." :haha:

asdf
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Family Stuff
Maybe hiking Frary Peak.
Headed up to Aspen Grove to make a fire and do some star trails.

fourtycal
11-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm taking the old Bronco to the Hole In The Rock Trail, camping for a couple of nights :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm taking the old Bronco to the Hole In The Rock Trail, camping for a couple of nights :2thumbs:
sounds MUCH more fun :nod: :nod:

Deeps
11-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Boycotting the in-laws Thanksgiving Day, not sure what I will do yet. Probably ski at Solitude. Heading south on Friday.

Sombeech
11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Boycotting the in-laws Thanksgiving Day

Nice, how are you getting away with that?

Deeps
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Same as the last five years. I simply abstain from all in-law gatherings.

ogdmfg
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
heading down wednesday to spend time with my boys before the 'DAY' so we can actually enjoy it...you know...the meal...company...little things like that. Thursday...honestly don't know what to expect. Big doings with a large large family, half of which doesnt talk to each other & then after the meal let it settle & go to another family gettogether for pie & talk. Did I mention that I'm bringing my bike so as to have an escape?? "..deep breaths...deep breaths....remember to breathe.." :haha:

Wade if you want get a hold of me so I can show you some of the new stuff I have been working on-pm me for my number

greyhair biker
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Wade if you want get a hold of me so I can show you some of the new stuff I have been working on-pm me for my number
:2thumbs:

savanna3313
11-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I have family in all week visiting from New Orleans and we're doing the "feast" at my house on Thursday with a total of 28 people - friends and family. It would be more fun if I didn't have to do the majority of the cooking...... :nod: At least my sister is here to help! :2thumbs:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

greyhair biker
11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
:ne_nau: can't get a pm to go through Jeremy. My number is 307-875-1445. I'll have it with me all the time, and I still have yours.

Happy Thanksgiving Y'ALL !!

Ih8grvty
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
We, are hiding!
No family, no anyone!
Cooking at our house, Me the wife and my kids, our 6 year old,her oldest son.
Her two daughters are invited as well, but currently not expecting them to show up.
it means all the cooking, but it also means all the left overs!
We have been hitting her parents house or my parents house (with divorces, thats 4 houses!) my dad moved to washington, my mom is more than likely going to be out of town as her brother died and she may need to head to texas to take care of some stuff pending the request of my cousin. IF she IS in town, shes invited as well, but this year we decided just us. Still in the middle of moving from the old house to a bigger one, only have half our dishes but all the pots and pans.

Sombeech
11-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Same as the last five years. I simply abstain from all in-law gatherings.

What have been the consequences with this? :haha:

Are there bad feelings?

Don
11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Haven't really been a big fan of certain holidays since the big D. I remember in '03, I was in Iraq on my first tour and hit the 2-weeks-leave-lottery with dates to be home for Thanksgiving. I didn't tell my family I was coming home, just the (now ex) wife. Spoiled the surprise when I bumped into my dad at the grocery store. (He was hugging me and crying and making a big scene). Later I surprised the rest of the family by showing up for Thanksgiving dinner. Man, that was the best Thanksgiving...
This year Josh and I are having some friends over; girls, kids, army buddies. We're going to grill steaks and serve them with Thanksgiving sides (stuffing, mashed potatoes, pie and stuff).
Then early Friday morning (the plan is 0430) Cody, Josh, Dean, Shandra and I are going down to the North Wash for a couple days of Canyoneering!
Steaks, beers and canyoneering. Should be a pretty fun weekend!

Randi
11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
What's the big "D" Don? Deployment?
Sounds like a fun plan you have for the long w/e! :2thumbs:

I wouldn't hear of sticking around town when I've got days off of work! I'm heading out to Death Valley with a couple of city guys (I'm not sure they've been camping much) and 5 teenagers for a few days!
The guys who are coming are one of the teenagers parents and his buddy whom I've not met yet.

I've been kidnapping these kids often and now their parents want in on some of the fun! ;)
So I'm playing desert tour guide this w/e - gonna take em to all my favorite touristy places out there.

It'll be like fun only different! :mrgreen:

I am making a big production dinner of turkey/stuffing/and all that jazz the following w/e for my family, and my son's band mates. I've been doing the Turkey dinner thing the w/e before or after the actual holiday for oh about 20 years now ~ no kidding!

Haven't really been a big fan of certain holidays since the big D. I remember in '03, I was in Iraq on my first tour and hit the 2-weeks-leave-lottery with dates to be home for Thanksgiving. I didn't tell my family I was coming home, just the (now ex) wife. Spoiled the surprise when I bumped into my dad at the grocery store. (He was hugging me and crying and making a big scene). Later I surprised the rest of the family by showing up for Thanksgiving dinner. Man, that was the best Thanksgiving...
This year Josh and I are having some friends over; girls, kids, army buddies. We're going to grill steaks and serve them with Thanksgiving sides (stuffing, mashed potatoes, pie and stuff).
Then early Friday morning (the plan is 0430) Cody, Josh, Dean, Shandra and I are going down to the North Wash for a couple days of Canyoneering!
Steaks, beers and canyoneering. Should be a pretty fun weekend!

IntrepidXJ
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
No family here....they are all back in Illinois. Amanda and I will just hang around the house on Thanksgiving and Friday. Might take the Jeep out on the weekend, but not too far fom home.

Don
11-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Too subtle? That's not usually me. I was reffering to the divorce. As in; I haven't really been a fan of certain holidays since the divorce. Some of them outright suck ass; my son doing fireworks or at a costume party with his mom and her new guy...
Reminds me of a favorite quote:
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. -W. C. Fields

blueeyes
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Headed south, mtn bike, rock climb and hang out with family and friends.

Saturday night dinner with Felicia and her daughter and anyone else who would like to join.

My sis-in-law and hubby are leaving their kids with Grandma in St. George and heading to Vegas for a day. Would love to join them not sure if that will be feasible. I have never been to Vegas as an adult other then just passing through.

Mostly relaxing and enjoying.

Scott P
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm climbing a 12,857 foot mountain in Colorado with the wife and kids. We'll be taking three days (Thursday through Saturday) and will be eating Thanksgiving Dinner up at 11,700 feet.

Deeps
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
What have been the consequences with this? :haha:

We're on the every-other-year plan, and consequently it's really freed up my holidays. At least every-other-holiday.

Are there bad feelings?

You can appreciate it's complex. I can honestly say I don't have hard feelings anymore.

Scott Card
11-24-2009, 06:17 PM
What the.... I can't say I blame you for not going to family functions. You story is nuts. Is your wife OK? Jeeze, if my future son-in-law stuck by my daughter after all the medical treatments I would be impressed. Nice to see some forgiveness on your end though. :nono: on the in-laws. Thanks for sharing.

Don
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Damn D, that sucks. I kind of miss family get togethers with the ex's-family. There were occasional judgmental looks when the new grandpa-in-law started serving beer at family functions but it would be rude to decline and he's a funny old guy with interesting things to discuss over a beer. Either I had some good times or the grass really is always greener...
Life's weird sometimes.

bruce from bryce
11-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Going to a Chinese restaurant and have 'Dim Sum'. Turkey dinner costs too much and we don't want to cook.

Bo_Beck
11-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Going to a Chinese restaurant and have 'Dim Sum'. Turkey dinner costs too much and we don't want to cook.

Dang, that sounds fine! I haven't had Dim Sum since Hong Kong, 1980!

I get to spend sleepless nights smoking turkeys :haha: . Already have smoked 2 and 2 to go yet. My wife really likes the way I do them, so volunteers my time for friends so that they can eat smoked turkeys! Think I'll go buy a nice bottle of Malbec on my way home from work tonight and sip a bit before, during and after! :2thumbs:

Feliz Dia d Peru! :five:

accadacca
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Boycotting the in-laws Thanksgiving Day.
Ditto. Finally talked my wife into starting our own traditions. I was ready 5 years ago. Every other year is a good schedule. We used to do the Sunday dinner thing every week too rotating. Then we went to every other and now we can barely make once a month. Families just get too big and these family functions are unbearable as greyhair and others have mentioned. Love the family and our time together, but I really enjoy just spending time with my wife and kids alone. Is that wrong? :nono: :ne_nau: :haha:

tanya
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Hanging with the HUGE bodybuilder type gangsters in Chicago. :lol8:

Randi
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm climbing a 12,857 foot mountain in Colorado with the wife and kids. We'll be taking three days (Thursday through Saturday) and will be eating Thanksgiving Dinner up at 11,700 feet.

AMAZINGLY cool way to spend time with your family over the holiday! :)

Randi
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Too subtle? That's not usually me. I was reffering to the divorce. As in; I haven't really been a fan of certain holidays since the divorce. Some of them outright suck ass; my son doing fireworks or at a costume party with his mom and her new guy...
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. -W. C. Fields

Oh..oops.
Yeah, I guess that would suck.
You seem like a good dad who's totally involved in your sons lfe regardless - and that's a priceless gift that some dads (married or divorced) just don't afford their kids. Your son's a lucky little dude! :mrgreen:

KapitanSparrow
11-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I got invited by some fairly distant friends for Thanksgiving :2thumbs: Otherwise it would be just me and a bottle of scotch. Now, it's going to be me, a bunch of people, turkey, and a bottle of scotch :roflol:

Don
11-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I got invited by some fairly distant friends for Thanksgiving :2thumbs: Otherwise it would be just me and a bottle of scotch. Now, it's going to be me, a bunch of people, turkey, and a bottle of scotch :roflol:

Love that. I might print it and stick it on the fridge. :haha:

Don
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Oh..oops.
Yeah, I guess that would suck.
You seem like a good dad who's totally involved in your sons lfe regardless - and that's a priceless gift that some dads (married or divorced) just don't afford their kids. Your son's a lucky little dude! :mrgreen:

Thanks. He's really the best thing in life. Even Guinness sucks compared to hangin out an laughing at farts with my boy.