PDA

View Full Version : This or that: Utah unique burger chains

trackrunner
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
with the talk of fast food and the new in-n-out locations which one of these original utah chains are better.
Crown
Apollo
Astro
Olympus
Other (specify)
Hires Big H

Personally Crown, Apollo, Astro close and all better than Olympus. I'd rank Crown overall bettern than Apollo and that overall better than Astro. But Apollo & Astro fry sauce better than Crown IMHO.

Left out Artic Circle because all in the list are better exept they do have good fries. Eat-A-Burger also has good fries.

Jaxx
11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I voted other. I like the others but JCW's has a really good burger.

Edit: I hate the Apollo burger at 256 W. 3300 South South Salt Lake. Right by the Train stop. The food was disgusting. My kids hot dogs were partly green. I took them back and they gave me more green ones. The kids wouldn't eat them. The pastrami didn't taste like any meat I have ever tasted.

I haven't had a problem at any of the other Apollo burgers.

Iceaxe
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I can't tell much difference between Crown, Apollo and Astro.... they are all good and about the same to me....

But Hires Big H beats them all.... :2thumbs:

And the best burger in Utah is probably the Cotton Bottoms Garlic Burger. They are always tops anytime an offical poll of any type comes out.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/3961413546_7f6eb89c75.jpg

trackrunner
11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
And the best burger in Utah is probably the Cotton Bottoms Garlic Burger. They are always tops anytime an offical poll of any type comes out.

True the Garlic Burger is amazing. :slobber:

Work live right by there

Didn't include because not a chain.

As for Hires Big H use to work for the owners wife 7+ years ago. She would sometimes take us out for lunch at the SLC location and I thought it was good. A couple months ago went to the Midvale location and it was bad all around. Nothing was good. Maybe I ordered wrong. What do you recommend if I go again?

Iceaxe
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Maybe I ordered wrong. What do you recommend if I go again?

My office used to be next to the Midvale location until I moved it to Draper. I would eat their about once a month but it's been about 2 years since I last stopped in.

I usually order the Big H, Fries and Coke. The Mountian H was also pretty good if I remember correctly. I don't think I've ever ordered anything other than burgers there.

There is an Apollo Burger down the street from my office now so that's where I eat now in regards to the local chains. All the above mentioned are good. To me it's more about location (close to me).

:cool2:

Alex
11-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I used to work at CrownBurger and Big H at Midvale during my high school days. They are both great places, very family oriented and the secrets of the trade kept secret. I like how semi clean they were compare to other places I have been to.

BigH hamburgers have gotten a LOT smaller lately, but the taste is still the same. I like how the fries and onion rings at BigH are made by hand, I used to do them myself, so first hand knowledge. I also usually order either BigH or CountryH (bacon). And I also get one fry and one onion ring with a rootbeer in a iced mug... yum.

Crown Burger's fry sauce was kept as a huge secret, the owner (Delta Center location), would make the sauce himself behind closed door every so often. Their specialty would be gyros, crown burger and bacon cheese.

KapitanSparrow
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I thought I saw Apollo in New York but cannot be sure.

I am reading nutritional values of meals at the Five guys, burgers and fries joint - OMG! Thankfully I hardly ever dine on fast food :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I used to work at CrownBurger and Big H at Midvale during my high school days.

If that's true you have probably made me a few burgers over the years.

I guess that makes you my bitch.... :lol8:

My office was in Midvale from 1978 to 2003 just across the street from Big H, and my best friend lived about 5 houses down from Crown Burger. Now just tell me you were a stripper at the False Alarm and I've hit the trifecta.

:roflol:

savanna3313
11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Crown Burger was the first burger place I went to when I first moved here about 10 yrs ago. For me, it still is the best although I haven't been to the In-n-Out place yet.

accadacca
11-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Crown
Apollo
Astro
Olympus

I thought these were all owned by the same family? I think the first 3 are nearly identical. :popcorn:

savanna3313
11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Crown
Apollo
Astro
Olympus

I thought these were all owned by the same family? I think the first 3 are nearly identical. :popcorn:

I was told that the Crown Burger was initially one big family, but there was a family feud that came about that caused the split into the other locations. Same type of food, separately owned and operated. My sister and brother in law flew in for the week yesterday and the first place they wanted to go was Crown Burger. Glad they have one in Sandy now. :nod:

trackrunner
11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Doubt it all one family. Just because all these places have been started by Greek's in Utah doesn't mean they're the same family . . . oh wait maybe they are

I've never seen anything official confirming this. Unless Apollo & Astro are owned and ran by the Katsanevas family, which own Crown I doubt it. Though IMO Apollo & Astro are near same even with the fry sauce, Crown not the same.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29united.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Actually heading out to eat. making a choice between Cottonbottom or Crown.

Edit: Choose crown and much to my surprise they have change their fry sauce. It is now much better and more traditional. Better gryos than Apollo to IMO