PDA

View Full Version : Revolver cleaning help

Scott Card
11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a stubborn revolver. What solvent do y'all use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :2thumbs:

ilanimaka
11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Define stubborn.

denaliguide
11-19-2009, 04:11 AM
i've always used hoppes and a wire bore brush, followed up with some oil and clean patches, sometimes it takes lots of patches.

BruteForce
11-19-2009, 05:10 AM
I use Break-Free. Sometimes its okay to just let it soak for a minute or so before hitting with the bore brush. Then put a few dry pads through it and hit it with a light coat of oil.

DOSS
11-19-2009, 06:17 AM
I have a stubborn revolver. What solvent do y'all use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :2thumbs:

If I end up firing until my 44 is super fouled I will use some Seafoam spray down the bore and in parts.. let it sit overnight and then just use normal hoppes and its done

Scott Card
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Define stubborn.I shot my gun for the first time a couple of months ago but just a few rounds. Yesterday, I took out my agression on some office hard drives and fired close to 100 rounds. I started to clean it, did the bore brush and cleaner from walmart (I know, there is my problem -- and I can't remember the name of it) and I, for the life of me cannot get the thing shinny new. I will try the overnight soaking with some of the stuff ya'll have recommended. I imagine not all solvent is created equal. I have gone through a bunch of patches and they still keep coming out dirty so there is still junk to clean. Thanks for the suggestions. :2thumbs: It looks like I am doing it right but my cleaner may not be up to snuff.

oldno7
11-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Barnes cr-10--or

Butch's bore shine

ilanimaka
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Winchester makes a bore cleaner that I've had excellent success with. Stuff's pretty potent. :2thumbs:

Sun Dance
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I have this yellow felt stuff that's soaked in some strong chemical. I cut off a piece of it and scrub the black off the cylinder like it was sandpaper. Works pretty well if you give it some elbow grease. I got it from a gun shop, ask around and someone will know what it is.