PDA

View Full Version : Using multiple monitors

Last Child
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Can anyone here explain to me how I can use two monitors to view the same program at the same time. I have the two monitors hooked up and working but all I can do is drag across the screen from my primary monitor to the secondary and smaller monitor. But as I do that it moves the view from one to the other. What I want is to have the same view on both monitors.

I have clients come over once in awhile and now I just turn my main big monitor over so we can both view it. But it's kind of a pain. Today while in the basement I saw my other older monitors and thought "hey I can hook one of these up so they can have their own view". It's not working out for me though.

I'm trying to get the same view of Autocad to show up in both of them at the same time.

Anyone? and thanks!

stefan
11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
mac or pc?

if on a mac, you want to select the Mirror Displays box in systempreferences > display
others can chime in for pc

Last Child
11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm a pc running XP.

devo_stevo
11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
In your display settings dialogue, go to the "settings" tab and hit advanced settings. You should be able to go into the settings for the video card there. Somewhere in there you can set that up. For the nVidea cards, it is under window management. You should see some choices such as "Horizontal Span" and "vertical span" etc. The one you want is "clone". If you have an ATI card...I have no idea.

If this isn't clear enough, you can hit me sideband and I will try to explain it better. It's not hard though, so you should be able to figure it out. You're a smart guy.

Last Child
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks Steve. That got me pointed in the right direction. I upgraded my driver for my video card and now in the settings for the card there is a clone monitor function.

Wow, what I thought would be a 15 minute job turned out to be a 2 hour lock up, get the mouse working on one screen while programs run on the other, trying to figure out how to tab through the functions, unplugging, rebooting, swear fest. :comppunch:

I'm glad that is over.

devo_stevo
11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Glad that worked out for you. Now get to training those new guys. I can only assume that's why you would need this anyway. :2thumbs:

Last Child
11-11-2009, 07:52 AM
No, actually it is so that when clients come over to talk about their project they can site at my desk right across from me and we both can have our own monitor to look at as we go over things. Or sometimes I have to go over things with my crew and this will work out so much better.

I have just been turning my large monitor so that we can both see it but it has always annoyed me. I'm quite happy with this. It only took me 5 years to get this great idea. :haha:

DiscGo
11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
That is actually a great idea Last Child.

devo_stevo
11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
No, actually it is so that when clients come over to talk about their project they can site at my desk right across from me and we both can have our own monitor to look at as we go over things. Or sometimes I have to go over things with my crew and this will work out so much better.

I have just been turning my large monitor so that we can both see it but it has always annoyed me. I'm quite happy with this. It only took me 5 years to get this great idea. :haha:

Ah. I see. Great idea. I just figured you would have a projector for all of that sort of thing. This would be much easier though.