11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
This is must see... :popcorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFEtKpT6Cxk

trackrunner
11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
and only a yellow card

KapitanSparrow
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Heh, she should not be allowed to play soccer ever again. Cage fighting scholarship would suit her better.

Iceaxe
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
New Mexico Soccer: Elizabeth Lamberts Gets Suspended
November 8th, 2009
By Meena Kar

Nov. 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Name of one more player gets added to the list of players who were suspended from the game for their rough performances. Elizabeth Lambert, the defender of the women soccer team of New Mexico will not be seen in the upcoming matches of the team as she has got suspended for exhibiting a performance which lacked sportsmanship. In a recent match against BYU, she was found attacking the player of the opponent team and hauled one of the players by catching her pony tail. This type of action has offended the team and led to her suspension for an indefinite period.

Kit Vela, the coach of New Mexico team on Friday declared that Elizabeth Lambert will not be able to participate in the conditioning, practices or matches of the team. Vela made a statement declaring,

Iceaxe
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Vilified New Mexico soccer player breaks her silence
By Chris Chase

The New Mexico soccer player whose dirty play in a conference tournament game became a national news sensation two weeks ago has finally broken her silence. Elizabeth Lambert granted an interview to The New York Times in which she apologized for her various violent actions against BYU opponents, which included hair pulling, punching, elbowing and kicking. The clip, which was featured on news programs nationwide and viewed over six million times on YouTube, turned Lambert into a national villain. But she says it's all a misunderstanding:

"I look at it and I'm like, 'That is not me,'. I have so much regret. I can't believe I did that.

I think the way the video came out, it did make me look like a monster. That's not the type of player I am. I'm not just out there trying to hurt players. That's taking away from the beauty of the game. And I would never want to do that."

The video makes Lambert look like a monster because she's acting like a monster. It isn't camera tricks or selective editing; she did those things and it's not the camera's fault she did.

Also, the "that's not me" defense is acceptable when the incident in question is isolated, but it doesn't work when the actions are repeated throughout a whole half of soccer. It's not like Lambert just threw a kidney punch after getting nudged in the stomach with an elbow. She did that, plus the hair yank, plus the tripping, plus trying to take out another player's legs. Lambert might not think she's that "type of player," but the video suggests otherwise.

The junior was deluged with calls and letters after the video went viral. Some of those were threats, but others came from men who wanted to ask her out. She was disgusted by both. In the interview, she tried to analyze why her actions became so infamous:

"I definitely feel because I am a female it did bring about a lot more attention than if a male were to do it. It's more expected for men to go out there and be rough. The female, we're still looked at as, Oh, we kick the ball around and score a goal. But it's not. We train very hard to reach the highest level we can get to. The physical aspect has maybe increased over the years. I'm not saying it's for the bad or it's been too overly aggressive. It's a game. Sports are physical."

Lambert is probably correct in her belief that her actions got more attention because of her gender. There was a certain titillation factor at play. But the second part of her argument, that it would be OK for men to do this, is preposterous. It's never OK for any athlete, male or female, to pull the antics that Lambert did on the field. It was straight out of the bully playbook. That's why this story became so big, not because she is a woman, but because the offenses were so cheap and so dirty as to be completely unbelievable. How did she keep getting away with it? Why didn't her teammates tell her to cool it? Why didn't somebody on BYU give it right back to her?

On the bright side, at least Lambert recognized that her actions were wrong and expressed regret. (Although, if she ever said she was sorry, the Times didn't print it.) But the explanations seem hollow. For Elizabeth Lambert, it seems, actions do speak louder than words.

Deathcricket
11-19-2009, 07:49 AM
:2thumbs:

You're just lucky that song F-en rocks cause that was maybe 20 seconds of footage looped into a 3 min video. Cool find though.

Iceaxe
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
The junior was deluged with calls and letters after the video went viral. Some of those were threats, but others came from men who wanted to ask her out.

Guys calling looking for a date was the part I found funny....

You just know these guys were thinking.... this chick is crazy, she must be great in the sack! :naughty:

Men are such big dumb animals. :haha: These are the same dumbass men who will be bitching next year that their crazy girlfriend try to stab them with a butter knife.

:nod:

Scott Card
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
The junior was deluged with calls and letters after the video went viral. Some of those were threats, but others came from men who wanted to ask her out.

Guys calling looking for a date was the part I found funny....

You just know these guys were thinking.... this chick is crazy, she must be great in the sack! :naughty:

Men are such big dumb animals. :haha: These are the same dumbass men who will be bitching next year that their crazy girlfriend try to stab them with a butter knife.

:nod:Client pool I say! :five:

Iceaxe
11-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Soccer hair-pulling fuels debate over sport sexism
David Crary - The Associated Press
Sunday, November 22, 2009

NEW YORK -- The vicious hair-pulling of an opponent was inexcusable. But prominent advocates of women's sports say that so, too, has been much of the commentary generated by the popular video of college soccer player Elizabeth Lambert's combative tactics in a recent game.

"Catfight" has been a term commonly used in cyberspace reactions to the video clip now seen by millions of people around the world. One Web site ran a poll: "Do you find violent women sexy?" Some bloggers -- lapsing into old stereotypes -- suggested Lambert's menstrual cycle was a factor.

"It's clearly sexist," said Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, as she assessed the overall reaction to Lambert's rough play in a Nov. 5 game between her New Mexico team and Brigham Young.

"It's obvious there are still some people in this country who just can't accept that women want to play sports, and sometime sports get rough."

Lambert, a junior defender who was suspended indefinitely, issued an apology through the university, saying, "I let my emotions get the best of me in a heated situation."

She was involved in several incidents of hard-nosed play during the Mountain West Conference tournament semifinal, mostly notably when she grabbed BYU's Kassidy Shumway by her ponytail and yanked her backward to the ground.

Laura Pappano, co-author of a book about gender in sports and a writer-in-residence at Wellesley College, has written a couple of blogs assessing reactions to the Lambert video.

"The image of female athletes as more than skilled players -- as good, wholesome people -- is a centerpiece of women's sports and a staple of marketing, promotion and ticket-selling," Pappano wrote. "This has been both a benefit and a limitation that has helped shape women's sports as 'gentler' fare."

This feeds into a situation in which male athletes often get a pass for bad behavior, while women draw criticism, she argued.

"We forgive Michael Vick, and gasp when Serena Williams screams at a line judge's late call at the U.S. Open," Pappano wrote. "No one likes dirty play. But if Elizabeth Lambert just made people see that women's sports are highly intense, competitive, and exciting, well, good for her."

Lambert herself, according to the New Mexico athletic department, is not giving further interviews at this stage beyond one she gave Tuesday to The New York Times in which she did suggest there is a double standard for women's sports.

"I definitely feel because I am a female it did bring about a lot more attention than if a male were to do it," Lambert told the Times. "It's more expected for men to go out there and be rough. The female, we're still looked at as, 'Oh, we kick the ball around and score a goal.' "

Blogger and author Michael Tunison, in a blog for sportingnews.com, was among the male commentators who didn't fully buy that argument, saying Lambert brought the attention on herself because her conduct "was so brazenly outlandish."

"Most of us have long accepted the fact that women's sports aren't dainty, aimless affairs," Tunison wrote. "To suggest the reaction to her dirty play is merely the result of condescension is a weak attempt to deflect criticism."

Other men pointed out that plenty of male athletes had incurred disciplinary action and public criticism for acts of unsportsmanlike violence -- such as Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount for punching a Boise State player, and Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes for seemingly trying to gouge the eyes of a Georgia opponent.

However, Carl Cannon, deputy editor of PoliticsDaily.com, suggested the intense public reaction to the Lambert incident was different from cases involving male athletes.

"It's as though we expect women to play fiercely competitive sports -- like men -- and yet retain some of the traditional notions of femininity," he wrote.

Alexis McCombs, Los Angeles-based host of talk show "Instant She-Play" on AOL Sports, said there was no doubt that Lambert and other female athletes are held to an unfair double standard.

She recalled the vehement reaction to Serena Williams after her outburst of profanity at the U.S. Open.

"Think of Andre Agassi -- people would relish his bad behavior, while Serena got blasted," McCombs said. "For some of the men, it almost benefits them -- they're able to cash in on their bad behavior."

McCombs also suggested that sexual factors were part of the reason the Lambert video became such an Internet sensation.

"The bottom line is it's the female being sexualized," she said. "Some people like the fact that two women are fighting."

NOW's O'Neill said she was dismayed by some of the misogynistic sentiments directed at Lambert, who told the New York Times of one message suggesting she deserved to be imprisoned and raped.

"The only thing we can do is stand in solidarity with women athletes," O'Neill said in a telephone interview. "Obviously what Elizabeth Lambert did was wrong. But you have a right to try to be winners -- being tough, being aggressive, wanting to win. That's what women athletes everywhere should be striving to do."